It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brilliant Newfoundlander Invents a Heating Solution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Now if I were to guess, considering this video came out in 2008, it has probably been posted around here somewhere. Not having a clue of what it may have been titled makes it tricky to find, so I apologize for the re-post if this is so.

With that being said, it still might be nice for members that are new and may not have seen it to chime and give their opinions. As I am not a rocket scientist, Im not sure how well this would actually work, but it is still pretty cool in theory at least. It would be nice to hear the pros and cons on it anyway as it does seem to make sense as to being workable.

Just a clue to what the video is actually about is that this guy is using aluminum cans as a type of working solar panel.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I personally had not seen that video, but will be sharing it with others.

Excellent idea and seems mostly doable in a garage on your own if you have the time and tools... although, I'd avoid drinking soda and do beer instead!

S&F OP.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I got a nice piece of plexiglass that I would like to use.
I have been thinking of these things, thinking of ways to save energy costs in the winter.
Can't beat the price of cans to use as solar heating units.
I have seen these before though, but now I am re-inspired simply because he is actually selling them and as he claims the cost is paid for by the energy savings and then some.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think it's a phenomenal idea. One thing occurs to me immediately- Does it work on a cloudy day? Or is meant strictly as a supplemental heat source?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Im glad you folks are enjoying this. As far as would it work on a cloudy day, I really have no idea. I imagine the cans would hold heat for a certain amount of time though if there is that many heating each other. I did notice one comment on the video page I thought was interesting, It was about also running copper wire through the cans and possibly heating water as well? I would think that would add a extra kick if you will. Like I said, this is hardly my field, but sure thought it looked good on paper! Lord knows I have drank enough beer to get it up and going!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Im guessing they drill the holes that big so the air moves? Ive been sitting here thinking about this. What if the holes were tinier and the cans were filled with water, then some current ran through copper tubing to keep the water hot for the cloudy days? Would that work?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I believe the thing would work less efficiently on a cloudy day, but still produce some returns.As anything you get is free, then i imagine it all adds up overtime.......

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The physics of this are very simple.

Does it heat on a cloudy day? Answer just as much as your auto interior heats on a cloudy day.

Add pipes to add extra heat to water? You have x number of square feet collecting heat. This means x number of Btus. No more! With the thin wall of the soda cans the air inside will heat up very quickly. The thermostat will turn the fan on very quickly. If you add water pipes inside much of that heat will be absorbed into the water. Until that water heats up the fan will remain off.

Ask yourself how long a bottle of water would take to heat up to 120 degrees if you put it under your car seat.

Any water added to this system, in any container would freeze over night. You don’t want water at all! You also don’t want to impede the air flow by drilling smaller holes. You want the heat to get into your house not making the panel over heat. The hotter the panel gets, the more heat will be lost to the cold air outside your house.

I have built a system much like this but I had never considered using cans. I wonder how he is sealing the joints in the cans?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Thanks or that reply it made a lot of sense. Seems you got this far, maybe you can figure it out or watch the vidoe real close to catch a clue maybe? Or maybe just write him and kick some ideas around. Since this is a 2008 video, Im sure he has tweaked it as well after this amount of time

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

if anyone is thinking of having a go at doing this, may i suggest spraying the surface area with a matt black paint. the air inside will heat up quicker. with regards to jointing the cans together, i would say epoxy resin would probably be the best (cheapest) option as tig/ali welding can be expensive with regards to aluminium cans.
great idea.

f

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Or seal them (the cans together) with polyurethane adhesive from the chaulking tubes, don't really know how heat resistant that stuff is.
And what about the box, can you make that with plywood, how does one weather treat the wood, everything must be heat resistant.
And another question, is the air pumped through the cans, or is it pumped (or blown) through the whole interior of the unit.

I REALLY got to make one of these things.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
That's pretty neat, might have to try it.

The only thing I would change is the lexan he is using for the outer protection.

With the right coatings he could double the temp rise inside the box just by changing that...too much heat could potentially become a problem...time to go research.

If you do one of these at home and have a little extra coin to spare, get solar control lexan and put the control side (normally to the exterior) facing inwards....will help retain up to 60% of the energy that tries to reflect out.

May not seem like much, but it helps immensely. To the point that, in construction, we have to limit how much we do this to prevent thermal breakage of sealed units.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

one must consider the coefficient of expansion with regards to the cans and the bonding medium. the polyurethane adhesive you mention can be used in this situation however one must consider the specification of the medium for freeze/thaw as well as heating limits. some polyurethane systems have chemicals added to increase the operating temperature range. a two-part epoxy thermoset adhesive is also appropriate for this system. it should also be mentioned that the bonding area should be 'keyed' with abrasive sandpaper to ensure a good bond.
regarding the box, i would say a heat paint should be used on the plywood. another option would be to bond sheets of reflective aluminium kitchen foil to a varnished (still tacky surface) plywood.
the way i see this operating is by convection. the bottom chain end of the cans will be open to allow cold air in and the top will be the heat output to be connected into the dwelling. somehow i do not think a pump would be appropriate for such a small unit. the convection draw should be enough for the system to work.
if this could be constructed in a modular system, it could potentially warm a dwelling very well indeed.
hats off to the individual with the light bulb on!
f

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Greetings,
This method has been around for some years.

A better method is to use black gutter down spouts [3"] and manifold them top and bottom with 5".

Use aluminum for the rear insulation.

For glazing use 2 layers Kal wall if you want this to be permanent

Upgrade your home insulation using aluminum foil, or ceramic beads in paint. See; koolcoat.com.

new topics

top topics

join