It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take a look at this flare the size of the sun itself... WOW !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The way the sun is producing sunspots these recent days, one has to wonder if the Earth is going to get whacked by the rumored "super-flare" . Check this out.

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It's only a matter of time, might actually do some good

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The sun certainly is active, what a beautiful flare. I sure hope one doesn't smack us dead on while the magnetic field is at a weakpoint.

Out of curiosity, to Sun watchers, when is the next active region supposed to be pointing towards earth?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Wow, that one really is amazing. I've seen people post these sun anomalies before and it's usually like ho-hum, no big deal. That is MASSIVE!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Wow! Is that semi-normal? I've not seen one like that before, but I don't watch the sun's activity. Is it aimed at Earth? Will we experience any effects?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Wow! That is one of the largest I have seen in quite a while. I wonder if this is any indication of what group 1166 will bring us? I am no expert on this by any means and hope to hear soon what the more savvy have to say.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Interesting to see how big the flare was. The question that pop into my mind relates to the information concerning the flare. Is it a X one and if so, what scale is it from 1 to 9?

link   
very cool indeeed, fairly safe to say it is normal tho , in reality we have been monitoring the sun for what 40 years? compared to the billions of years its been burning................. i think were fine

link   
Thats amazing. If you watch the movie of it and pause it then move through the images, it looks evil.

Is it heading for us or did we miss it?
edit on 8/3/11 by boo1981 because: spelling again!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Here is (I believe) a bit more information:

A coronal mass ejection (CME) exploded from the vicinity of sunspot 1164 during the late hours of March 7th. It lept away from the sun traveling some 2200 km/s, making it the fastest CME since Sept. 2005. A movie of the cloud prepared by Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab seems to show a small but non-negligible Earth-directed component. This CME and at least one other could brush against Earth's magnetic field on March 9th or 10th.

Source: www.spaceweather.com...

Doesn't really seem to be anything to worry about, though the flare was pretty spectacular. I am not entirely sure this is the same CME, though.
edit on 8-3-2011 by Pimpish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Amazing, slightly misconcieving when looking at SOHO to remember the Sun is actually a 3D 'body' in Space and not 2D as images like these make it look so. I imagine we get hit often with flares of similar size, but due to them being head-on we obviously don't get to see them in such spectacular fashion.

Though you can't disagree that these are the more aesthetical to the eye in terms of dimensional viewing. I hope they bring in 3D viewing soon, that'd be something else while viewing the Sun from your PC monitor or Telescope.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hmmmm... that is VERY big... kinda makes me think its that mean ole evil nasty Nibiru everyone's been talking about...

in all seriousness...

IS THIS NORMAL?!?!?!?!

...if not... in the words of "King Arthur"

..."Run Away!!!!"

...putting on solar flare protective apparatus'

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hi guys, this is from spaceweather.com

FAST CORONAL MASS EJECTION: A coronal mass ejection (CME) exploded from the vicinity of sunspot 1164 during the late hours of March 7th. It lept away from the sun traveling some 2200 km/s, making it the fastest CME since Sept. 2005. A movie of the cloud prepared by Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab seems to show a small but non-negligible Earth-directed component. This CME and at least one other could brush against Earth's magnetic field on March 9th or 10th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

So yeah we'll take a hit, but it won't be much to write home about, unless you live in an area that is privvy to aurora shows

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is incredible. Go here and type in 2011-03-07 - 2011-03-08 for the start and end dates and click on LASCO 2. Its crazy to see how long that thing takes to form.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Here is the link to the video

LINK: BOOM

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
CME, not a flare. Not Earth directed.
It seems to have been associated with an M4.4 flare from region 1165.
Region 1164 is in the northern hemisphere of the Sun.
edit on 3/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The spaceweather article is talking about one that happened yesterday. This one JUST now happened.

BIG CME.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Someone coming along and saying this is completely natural in

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

This is completely natural...

How can it not be? The sun is natural, the galaxy is natural, this too must be completely natural...

I just got some SPF 50 I'm good no matter what!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
nice one. I'm expecting more to come.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join