It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteors Smash Into Siberia And The Phillipines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I saw a tiny one burn up, over here in Slovakia this evening, but hardly headline stuff, - still these are strange/stranger days.

See also:

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

-------

Fox.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Several links coming up from the link you've already posted..

I have contacts over in the Philippines and am asking them if they heard anything yet..
Am also watching the net for further updates too.

This could be very interesting if we are able to retrieve this one and get a good proper study done of it..

Rather exciting..

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
S&F four you! Cool thread, is there any other information about this yet? With as many NEO floating around the atmosphere as we have Im suprised we dont have more accounts like this...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Nothing yet from my contacts in the Ph.

Still watching to see if anything crops up in the news updates.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Tablas Island, the Philippines, March 7, 2011 @ 10am local time witnesses report seeing, hearing and feeling a fireball falling from the sky and smashing into a forest, setting it ablaze. The impact was felt by locals. Hopefully no one was injured or killed. Authorities are still evaluating the scene. This occured at within the time frame specified in our "URGENT ALERT" video about meteor 2011 EY11.
We hope to have video of this as it comes in. There is currently VERY little online news about this. We already know that the MSM has not covered the 7-9 others that have hit in recent months, so who if/what else we may or may not hear about this. Dare we say:

---------

Fox.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxoutfoxing
Tablas Island, the Philippines, March 7, 2011 @ 10am local time witnesses report seeing, hearing and feeling a fireball falling from the sky and smashing into a forest, setting it ablaze. The impact was felt by locals. Hopefully no one was injured or killed. Authorities are still evaluating the scene. This occured at within the time frame specified in our "URGENT ALERT" video about meteor 2011 EY11.
We hope to have video of this as it comes in. There is currently VERY little online news about this. We already know that the MSM has not covered the 7-9 others that have hit in recent months, so who if/what else we may or may not hear about this. Dare we say:

The trouble with reports like this (and they are not uncommon) is that people often think that they saw the meteor land, but we know that this is actually VERY unlikely in the vast majority of cases. Even relatively large asteroids tend to explode high up in the atmosphere (above 20 km), and drop relatively small fragments over a wide area.

These surviving fragments, which have stopped going fast enough to emit light, are still fast enough to break the sound barrier, and thus create sonic booms/rumbling. Surprisingly, when they reach the ground, they are usually cold to the touch, since they have been falling through the atmosphere at altitude (which is cold!) for a number of minutes before they reach the ground. The initial atmospheric entry only lasts a few seconds, and the atmosphere strips away the outer layers of material (called "ablation"), which is an exceptionally good way of loosing heat.

Of course, having come from deep space, the meteoroid is extremely cold to begin with. Have you ever taken a frozen turkey, and stuck it in a hot oven for a minute or two (much longer than a meteoroid experiences heating for)?

As I said before, reports like these are not uncommon, and none that I have seen in the past have ever panned out to be true, although I don't doubt that a large meteor was seen, heard, and probably dropped some meteorites somewhere.

Also, 10 tones of extra terrestrial material is known to hit us every day. Most of it is not much bigger than dust particles, but there are meter sized objects in there too, and they can produce very impressive fireballs that can drop meteorites. There is nothing here that I have not heard before, and I've been researching this subject for well over a decade now.

There is a good FAQ on the subject here

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
True, but an airbust will release vast amounts of kinetic energy than a expected Earth Impact event. Especially a compact Meteorite made of Iron/Nickel that's entering the atmosphere from a shallow angle. We all know the hypothesis and maths so lets not fool ourselves here and wait for official/on the ground confirmation before jumping the gun.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
True, but an airbust will release vast amounts of kinetic energy than a expected Earth Impact event.

When a meteor hits us, all the energy is expended, either all by the atmosphere, or partly by the atmosphere, and partly by the ground impact (in those rare cases where the object is big enough). I'm not exactly sure what your point is here?

Especially a compact Meteorite made of Iron/Nickel that's entering the atmosphere from a shallow angle.

In this case, a great deal of the energy would be shed whilst punching through our atmosphere, providing the object is not large, and we know large metallic bodies are relatively rare compared to their stony counterparts.

We all know the hypothesis and maths

Do we? All of us? Then how come this information was not posted before I came here?
I know a lot of people here think that they know a great deal about meteor physics, but I rarely see any evidence of it.

How many of you held the common misconception that meteorites are "burning hot" when they reach the ground? Honestly?

so lets not fool ourselves here and wait for official/on the ground confirmation before jumping the gun.

I agree 100% - lets wait for confirmation before assuming that a meteor has done something that has never been proved to happen, and which physics says is extremely unlikely to happen.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

My parents live on an islet in the province of Romblon, near the area of the fireball. I have yet to hear from them. Would be spectacular to hear if my Dad witnessed this event. Will post if I hear anything.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
WOW! wonder if this is related to ontario last night a fireball was seen and set off air raid sirens.? me thinks maybe its pieces of comet elinin falling into our atmosphere?

new topics

top topics

join