It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This guy should be a hero!!! He started these riots! And his name was Mohamed Bouazizi.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It began with petty bureaucracy, corruption and bullying. And then Mohamed Bouazi snapped…

Mohamed Bouazizi did not plan to start a revolution. He wanted to sell some apples. But the events of December 17 2010 would end in the death of the 26 year old Tunisian street vender, provoking protests that would topple the country’s president, unseat President Hoshni Mumbarak of Egypt and ignite a firestorm of anger across the Arab world from Tunisia to Jordan to Egypt.

A very bad day in the life of one man changed the world!

There was no sign that December 17 would be any tougher than any other day in his hard scrabble life. He had been trading for a few hours when Faida Hamdi, a municipal inspector, arrived with two officers. Hamdi, wearing her blue uniform and epaulettes, brusquely told him she was confiscating his wares because he did not have a trading permit.

The young trader had been in trouble with the authorities before. Some say he had been picked on regularly and suffered the confiscation of his barrow on previous occasions.

According to his family he refused to pay the bribe offered by the officials. “In Sidi Bouzid, those with no connections and no money for bribes are humiliated and insulted and not allowed to live.” The bribe would usually be 2 days wages.

Mohamed Snaps.

When Hamdi began seizing his apples, he tried to grab them back and she slapped his in the face. This was the turning point.
Had Hamdi been a man, the story would probably have ended there, just another incident of low level routine degration visited by the powerful on the weak. But to be slapped by a woman in public is the height of humiliation for any Arab man. “She humiliated him, “ his sister sad, “Everyone was watching.”

Embaraced and enraged, he stormed over to the municipal offices and demanded the return of his property. There he was beaten.

Taking a stand.

Beside himself, he walked to the main regional government building and demanded to see the district governor himself. He was turned away and told flatly that there was nothing he could do about it. Nobody paid the slightest attention when the angry young man was heard to say “If you don’t see me I’ll burn myself.”

Less that an hour after the initial confrontation with Hamdi, Bouazizi was back in the front of the high gates to the governor’s peach-coloured building. He sat down poured two bottles of paint thinners over himself and demanded, once more, to see an official. Then he lit his cigarette lighter. By the time the flames were extinguished he had suffered 3rd degree burns to 90% of his body.

Change in the tide.

Turning points in history often pivot on chance. The tinder in the rab worl was bone dry: Bouazizi’s dramatic act was the spark. He would die 18 days later a martyr and focus of public rage. The contempt shown by the regime had touched a chord with Tunisians sick of bribery, greed and the casual abuse of power.

The Jasmine Revolution erupted in full force. Thousands masses for his funeral procession. The next weekend 24 protesters were shot dead. Within a week President Ben Ali had fled the country. A 23 year old dictatorship ended in days.

Mohamed Bouazizi became impossibly famous, hailed as a heroic martyr of a revolution he could never have imagined. A film of his life is planned; a Kuwaiti businessman wants to buy his cart; a square in Paris is to be named after him – the humble fruit seller who had a bad day and wouldn’t take in anymore.

He will forever be remembered.

And the aftermath will never be forgotten.

@The Times, London. www.thetimes.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This is the stuff movies are made of. One man sacrifices his live for what he believes is right and in the process unknowingly succeeds in bringing down a 23 year dictatorship. I wish there were more of these brave people in the world.
We all have it in us. The question is, which is your breaking point? When your rights as a human is taken away, or when you’re finally staring down the barrel of a gun. When will we wake up?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

My god. That it had to get to such a point that the man felt he had no other option. Horrible.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

He is a hero.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Peace be upon you, hero. You will never know the change that you inspired.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Certainly a hero.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Certainly a hero.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I totally agree. I know people always say this here but I honestly believe that we are in for some great events in the very near future. People are getting sick of other people governing them. It kinda makes you think whether people really want to be ruled by people…
Like, if some being visited earth and the MSM picks it up, will everybody go, “OMG, we’re so glad you’re here. Please, oh please, lead us into a new age!!!”

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LongPatrol

Makes you think, huh? What kind of legacy will you or I leave in this world?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Great story! Others were obviously feeling just like him but he was the spark or focal point by his extreme actions. How pissed off do you have to be in order to be willing to burn yourself to death?

edit on 8-3-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Damn right he's a hero. And he's the reason the media, the politicians, even your vaunted "alternative" media an "maverick" politicians, are telling you that this is a "fake" revolution, that it's illegitimate, spawned by George Soros or the CIA or the EU or the NWO or terrorists or whoever your bogeyman might be.

Because they're scared that you will look at the plight of mr. Bouazizi, and see that even though your skin and language and religions are different, you and he really aren't far apart at all. They want you to ignore that. They want you to not notice, so they wave their distractions at you, for fear that you might realize that you're taking it up the rear just as hard as this tomato vendor in Ben Arous did. For fear that you might snap, that the people around you might snap with you, and draw the curtains on their game.

Next time you see someone claim that these protests and revolutions are somehow "fake," remember Mohamed Bouazizi, and ask yourself why "the NWO" would give a flying crap about a man selling canteloupe from a wheelbarrow. Ask yourself, if it IS fake, why are the people you've never trusted before - themedia, the politicians, the "powers that be," telling you so, so loudly and so often.

Solidarity
团结
Solidarité
التضامن

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Finally a post here on ATS which deserves a star and a flag!!

I have wondered how many people are aware of his story which is quickly becoming a legacy and rightly so. And as others have already mentioned, it certainly brings to light the true cause of these "leaderless" uprisings. It is the will of the people and you can have no greater leader than that.

I mostly read what is said on this site and choose my words carefully when I do decide to post them because I think many people are inadvertantly supporting the machine. All this fear over the uprisings being manufactured, Is it so hard to believe that there are people on this earth who are fed up to the point of taking a stand? And doing so of their own free will and their own original ideas?!? If this is a hard idea to grasp then where does hope come from?

I commend this young man for laying down his life so that others could experience a better life, and the fact that he did so unwittingly and selflessly. The world needs more like him.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Governments should be afraid of their people, not the other way around!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

AMEN!! Last time I checked we did outnumber them in numbers, perhaps not in force, but in numbers and most certainly in emotions

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Beautifully put!! I have always said, people were not meant to be ruled or governed by other people.

We all have a free spirit within ourselves. And deep down, we are all rebels!
Whether it be through breaking petty, man-made laws, or not filling in your tax return because you don’t your money to a government that wastes it.

Add to that the current level of corruption and distrust in governments, and then its not so hard to see why all this Sh!ft is happening around the world.

People are not the cancer of the earth, governments are!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There will be a tipping point in the United States of something similar occurring in the near future... Except it will divide the nation.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TrgiclyHip

I couldn’t agree more. I have recently heard that our local municipality manager saw to it that R580 million in contracts be given to 50 people actually working for the government. So they see a tender requiring certain things, then quickly make up some arbitrary company puts in a tender knowing they will get it. This despite the fact that they have never dealt with the certain product before. Its pure corruption.

So I have been thinking about starting a political party but that the same old road with the same old outcome.

The only way out is anarchy!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Thats a scary thought. Honestly.
We were somewhat united with the end of apartheid. But if a similar revolt were to happen here in South Africa, I think the people would unite. Everybody here is so tired of promises that are never kept, the rife corruption and crazy ways of the government that it if people found an alternative, ANY alternative, they would stand up for it.
Or at least so goes my dreams.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TrgiclyHip

I think apt thing to say would be "Hell hath no fury like a nation scorned."

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
He changed the world, it was like a butterfly effect but who would have thought that one man could spark all those revolutions and protests?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join