It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody near Rudyard Lake, Staffordshire, England last night (Possible UFO)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm almost sure that nobody will reply to this so I apologise in advance for cluttering the forums.

Anyway I've been dying to make this post all day and I've only just reached 20 posts, so here goes.

Last night I was driving to Leek from Congleton, and my route took me past Rudyard Lake. I was nearing the first sharp left hander at the start of the lake when I noticed a bright object , sort of greenish in colour , out of the corner of my eye. The object was about 500 - 1000 ft altitude maybe over the middle of the lake. It was heading towards the opposite shore at quite a sharp angle towards the ground and was approx half a mile, probably less, away from me. I remember just before it hit the ground it began to shower debris of the color I described. It wasn't moving really that fast, slower than I thought meteorites could travel. I was precluded from viewing the impact because I had to take the sharp bends by the lake . I'm damn sure it wasn't a firework because it's trajectory suggested it had come from very high up indeed.

My question is , was anybody there? And did anybody see anything?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by movetovanuatu

Hi and Welcome

Im in the south west of England so not in your area but you might want to take a look at this thread on ATS about green fireballs that are meant to be visible over the next few days link to thread

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't know anything about this occurrence, but if I saw this I would be pretty inclined to go check it out, especially if I was only half a mile away. If it was a meteor, I'd go and try to collect the remains, and, if it was aliens, well...I'd probably sh#t my pants. Either way, it's worth the half mile walk. S+F
edit on 8-3-2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Aha! Yep , that does make sense. Wicked, well it was unidentified for a short while , to think I was lucky enough to spot one of those by chance! I'd just never seen anything like it before and it was surprising, always willing to put a decent explanation to things though, thanks for your info.

X x

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Well it might of been something else but always worth checking all the options out

I'm sure you'll get more replies with other explanations some will be realistic others will probably quite bizarre

*sits back and waits for the reptilian squad to make an appearance*

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by scojak

Indeed! That was my intention, I carried on to my friend's house (whom I was visiting) and we both drove back to a layby that was across the lake from the impact point, but i made an educated(if lazy) decision not to make an attempt to reach it. I wasn't sure where the turning for the other side of the lake was and roughly remembered from childhood trips to Rudyard Lake that there was no road near where I perceived it to have gone down. Shame!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Great news on your sighting mate. From the Stoke region and seen lots of craft and orbs in the Peak District, many around the Roaches/Leek zone. There is something very strange with the locality and I've got my theories. You have experienced something amazing, green very rare mate

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Good description and interesting account ... if you don't have the chance to go and check-out the potential site for debri it might be worth keeping an eye on the local newspaper to see if it gets reported

Keep us posted with any updates.

Woody

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hey I just noticed that you saw it sort of shower.

WOW!

If you saw that mate that is rarer than rare. I've seen lots of ufo orbs but only once did I see what we call the 'angle grinder white type.' If you saw (ours was white) the same in green form then believe me, that is so rare. I've only heard of two other reports on here, one was from Russia if the mind remembers correctly.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Thanks Woody! I will definately be keeping a sharp lookout for anything in the papers and I will post as soon as I get anything... if I get anything. I just hope I'm not the only one who saw it!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Yeah I was definately aware that whatever I was looking at, it was rare. The peaks are a great place to look at the sky, might have to grab some oatcakes and head on up there one night, if only for the less light-polluted view of the stars!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by movetovanuatu
It wasn't moving really that fast, slower than I thought meteorites could travel. I was precluded from viewing the impact because I had to take the sharp bends by the lake .

Meteors can be very deceptive.

There are some very slow meteors that can be just as slow as the fastest satellites travel (about 11 km/s), but even a fast meteor can appear to be slow, or even to stand still!

How can this be? you might say...

The answer is perspective...

Consider a meteoroid entering our atmosphere, and heading directly towards you. Although it is moving fast, to you it would not appear to move at all - it would look like a star appeared, suddenly brightened, then dissipated.

In order to see the true speed of a meteor you have to be observing it from the side ( high in the sky, and away from the radiant). Anything else (if it even traveling slightly towards/away from you), and it's impossible to determine it's true speed by just observing it.

Also, due to Earth's (and our atmosphere's) curvature, and the fact that meteors can be surprisingly bright, a meteor tat is still high up in the atmosphere, can appear to be close to the ground, and near by, even if it is high up in the atmosphere and a long way away. Meteors become visible at around 100 km altitude, and due to their brightness this means they can be seen from many hundreds of km away.

Consider this diagram It's exaggerated, but demonstrates what is going on.:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95efe8242439.jpg[/atsimg]

If you are the observer (B), it will look to you like the meteor has fallen just behind the mountain, but the observer (A) who is observing the same meteor from a few hundred miles from your location, and over the horizon will see something completely different.

See how easy it is for a meteor to look like it is doing something that it is not?

new topics

top topics

join