It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darpa's new robots to help on the battlefield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

As the name implies, Cheetah is designed to be a four-legged robot with a flexible spine and articulated head (and potentially a tail) that runs faster than the fastest human. In addition to raw speed, Cheetah’s makers promise that it will have the agility to make tight turns so that it can “zigzag to chase and evade” and be able to stop on a dime.

Darpa's Robot Projects

This is all pretty cool, until you start thinking about the movie "Terminator", then it becomes downright creepy. Most of these robots are essentially "pack mules" but this "Cheetah" is designed to chase down the enemy. I could see the police using this as well in the future.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Lord forbid a skynet A.I takes over.........

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

As your alluding to , these drones/bots are probably going to be used against the people. Theres so many examples in science fiction where theyre warning us of the danger of AI .

Battlefields are one thing but when they implement them domestically we need to oppose and nip it in the bud .

S&F OP .

Peace

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Reminds me of the robot AMEE on Red Planet.

I believe it went into kill mode from a malfunction after impact.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I say let's use this tech to remove wage-slavery. Peaceful application of technology.

Between that and the energy in the plenum (opposite of "vacuum," the root of which is "empty;" "plenum" is from a root meaning "full"), we can build a heaven on this planet. To see how, please read The End of Entropy and The Ethical Planetarian Platform linked in my sig. (The End of Entropy is the foundation of the party...)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I found this also by the same company I think hope it helps.

vodpod.com...

Boston Dynamics BigDog - never falls over can run, jump and shoot weapons. It also works in packs to get over high obstacles .

Amazing little machine
edit on 8/3/2011 by YoungMind92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Here is an image of AMEE.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e814c6b1857.jpg[/atsimg]

Strange that it is similar to the cheetah.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
"for the battle field?" my crack they are
i, for one, see that if this goes well at all we will have brand new police robots. we know they want police dogs for chases without the chance of the dogs getting hurt, so 1+1=disaster waiting to happen
edit on 8-3-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

With the ability to have bomb sniffing capabilities in a dog that won't "die" the officers would be less attached to their "dogs" and it wouldn't cause such devastating effects when they die / get killed in the line of duty.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

looks eerily like dog from the half life series.... and if this is the stuff there showing us what does that mean they got going on in the black budget realm

new topics

top topics

join