It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typical Christians and Their Hypocrisy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I've been meaning to make this thread for...well, ages now. Actually, I've been meaning to make it since I started posting regularly again.

Why am I saying that typical Christians are hypocrites? Well, how many times have you heard this phrase: "Why don't Muslims go out of their way to condemn terrorists?"

I'd have to ask in return, specifically to Catholics, Why aren't you condemning the acts of Christians in my society?

Not aware of where I live? Not aware of what Christians (specifically the Roman Catholic Church) are trying to do here? Read up.

For those of you not bothering to visit that link due to time constraints, it's simple: we don't have legal divorce, yet people have been campaigning to have access to this very basic legal procedure for ages. Now that it's coming to a head, Catholics in Malta are doing everything that they can to combat the right of other people to get a divorce.

So, why aren't you going around condemning these actions?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Because they don't have too, their Savior will come back and make everything right in the end so why bother opposing the high church (its like going against God directly, since the Vatican is the closest gateway to God on Earth, apparently). You said it best it the title, because most of them are hypocrites that don't even understand what they worship.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Easy enough to answer. It's not ok to use a small fraction of the whole to generalize. As long as you aren't talking about Muslims, then it's fine to generalize.

I think that's the key. Anything any christian does is just that, the act of that person. But when the prayer is directed to someone else, then any action is considered an example of the whole.

I believe it's bigotry at it's finest really.

"Why don't Muslims go out of their way to condemn terrorists?"

actually they do, you can't be a terrorist and a faithful Muslim at the same time. In fact, it was Muslim countries that expressed their outrage at the terror attacks of 911 (when people still believed it was Muslim fanatics.)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Agreed, more often than not Muslims are the target for terror cells operating in the ME.

Most Muslims have an excuse as to why they are so easily fooled into such a ridiculous religion, this being the lack of education and the violence garunteed to those that are unconverted.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Every religion has its excesses.

In principle every religion preaches tolerance and is against violence.

Do not judge a religion by the few intolerant, stupid people who think God has spoken to them.
They are looking for power, not God.

I do not go to church anymore because the church allowed the disgusting actions so many priests are involved in.
But the words of Christ still stand.

It's the same with other religions, and all this hate preaching will not help.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Well, I don't live there and I won't lie, I didn't even know this was going on. To be honest though, I don't feel that I have the right to go to your county and 'condemn' anything, I agree with you though, but in America we can get divorced, etc, so it's not really my fight. Good luck to you though!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

For those of you not bothering to visit that link due to time constraints, it's simple: we don't have legal divorce, yet people have been campaigning to have access to this very basic legal procedure for ages. Now that it's coming to a head, Catholics in Malta are doing everything that they can to combat the right of other people to get a divorce.

Help me understand, before I start condemning anyone. Isn't Malta a democracy? I see that you've a ton of Catholics in the country, and that Catholicism is the state religion (which I'm not keen on, but whatever.) But it's still a democracy, so if all the Catholics vote for something, whatever their motivation happens to be, such that the majority of your society favours the Catholic view, doesn't that make it right, by default? That's what non-absolute morality as all about, right? Values change at the direction of the majority?

For the Maltese who can't get divorces, I'm sincerely sorry, but it sounds like you need to convince your democratic society that divorce is not wrong, not use it as an excuse to decry people for having a set of values you don't agree with. You live in a democracy -- you can vote the scoundrels out of office if you don't like them, quite a different picture than many other parts of the world.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Every religion is wide-open to hypocrisy. Anything not based on numbers is. You can't single out the Christians. Any faith-based belief system is ripe for freaks to steer it off course.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I would rather ask why Christians don't condemn the attacks of the Lord Liberation Army, a African Christian extremist group responsible for the deaths of thousands, I'm sure they would, but their silence is deafening

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Lots of Christian and bible bashing going on in this thread!

I can see the reason why many people would have contempt against Christianity or any religion, but Christianity and the "bible" (or more precisely the scriptures), do not necessarily have to be synonymous, and in fact they are not.

It is true that a major fault of Christianity's is a firm proclamation of being able to see while in fact being blind (30,000+ denominations proves this), but it is the scriptures themselves that foretold of this very thing happening during the course of the last 2,000 years.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Are you talking about the The Malta Gay Rights Movement ?

I'm confused

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
More like your a typical basher a.k.a "mental midget" who seem to have to lump things together, as you pass judgement upon the actions and deeds of individuals. I am a believer in Christ, I am in no way guilty of the things you mentioned. Yet I too am guilty of much sin.

So I would like to thank him here & now for dying for me, no instead I thank you Jesus for dying for us all.

Now are you saying you have not sinned? Or are you simply better and smarter then all Christians?

I also wonder if you have esp? and can see into the hearts and minds of us who are Christians? to know just how we feel about these things as you spoke on our behalf.

Or have you set out your snare in hopes of some form of personal gain or self worth?

Know your feeble attempt to rob only multiplies faith and stregthens the resolve of a true believer who can see full well just whos advocate you are.

I would also like to add that none of the things you mentioned are in no way shape or form, been commited by, or unique to Christians alone.

So now with this viel of lies lifted can you see how the op was guilty of being a hypocrite?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
More like your a typical basher a.k.a "mental midget" who seem to have to lump things together, as you pass judgement upon the actions and deeds of individuals. I am a believer in Christ, I am in no way guilty of the things you mentioned. Yet I too am guilty of much sin.

So I would like to thank him here & now for dying for me, no instead I thank you Jesus for dying for us all.

Now are you saying you have not sinned? Or are you simply better and smarter then all Christians?

I also wonder if you have esp? and can see into the hearts and minds of us who are Christians? to know just how we feel about these things as you spoke on our behalf.

Or have you set out your snare in hopes of some form of personal gain or self worth?

Know your feeble attempt to rob only multiplies faith and stregthens the resolve of a true believer who can see full well just whos advocate you are.

I would also like to add that none of the things you mentioned are in no way shape or form, been commited by, or unique to Christians alone.

So now with this viel of lies lifted can you see how the op was guilty of being a hypocrite?

Personally I think using a scapegoat for the crimes of another is a immoral act in and of itself.
But that's just me.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

adjensen, a democracy (parliamentary in this case) isn't about majority rule. If it were about majority rule then such issues as enslaving minorities and squelching dissenting opinions would be welcome. Democracies are about majority decision, but not when those decisions infringe upon the rights of everyone.

Yes, Catholicism is both our state religion (which you damn well know I am not cool with) and it is a majority Catholic country...though the numbers there are skewed by people claiming to be Catholic for societal reasons.

Do you know what the Catholic church teaches? It teaches that you shouldn't get a divorce and that divorces are not carried out by the church itself. Interestingly enough, you can actually get a divorce if you are Maltese...you just have to be able to afford a few months of residence in Sicily...well, anywhere in the EU really. It's a case of a system which does accept divorce for those who can afford such an expense.

Catholic? Don't want a divorce? Don't get one.

Of course, we are having a referendum on the issue (because everyone in parliament has about as much backbone as a squid and is afraid of voting either way), but the Catholic church is attempting to enforce something upon non-Catholics, whose numbers grow in Malta every single day. I'm not just talking about atheists...just general non-Catholics.

Democracy ends where individual rights begin.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

...it's a search for "Malta divorce"...all of the articles are about divorce. Read the OP.

Though the rights of homosexuals in Malta is a huge issue as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Starting off small here. Can't get Christians to accept that other Christians do those sorts of things right away...or at least you can't do it easily.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
More like your a typical basher a.k.a "mental midget"

I have literally 3000 times as many posts on this forum as you do, please don't immediately label me a 'mental midget' based on your odd interpretation of one post. I am in no way a mental midget, as even though who disagree with me would confess. Nor am I a 'typical basher'. Hell, in what way I am either a "basher" or a "mental midget"?

It is one thing to disagree with someone, it is quite another thing to speak about their character. Please, learn to disagree with individuals without insulting them.

who seem to have to lump things together, as you pass judgement upon the actions and deeds of individuals. I am a believer in Christ, I am in no way guilty of the things you mentioned. Yet I too am guilty of much sin.

So you're not guilty of ignoring the actions of your fellow Christians to oppress others on a societal level?

Unwanted preaching.

I do not believe in the concept of sin. I may have done something wrong in my life...actually, I've done all sorts of things wrong in my life...I just haven't 'sinned'.

As for better and smarter than all Christians? All of them? No. Some of them? Maybe.

Well, I live in Malta and I've not heard of a single foreign non-resident Christian condemning the actions of the Catholics in Malta.

Nope, I've set out an example of a situation going on in the society that I live in. I've set it out for one reason: to raise awareness. I've set it out so that people see how a religious institution is conspiring to prevent people from having access to their rights.

I'm an advocate on behalf of the people of Malta.

I mentioned one thing: preventing divorce in Malta. Christians are the only people stopping it.

Wow, self-righteousness much? I'm sorry, but what lies were presented? How am I a hypocrite?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Pardon if this sounds rude, but we don't get catholic news from Malta where I live. I haven't heard of any such thing and I'm a Chrisitan,not Catholic though.
Now, if I haven't heard anything about it, how in the world can I denounce it?
Well, since I've been made aware, I'd have to agree that not being able to divorce is very 18th century. we can divorce anyone at any moment here, so it has never been an issue.
I will ask that you not lump all of us that follow Christ into one big group, because to say that we all think the same is the same as saying all Muslisms are terrorists. Not correct. Would you disagree?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

reply to post by adjensen

adjensen, a democracy (parliamentary in this case) isn't about majority rule. If it were about majority rule then such issues as enslaving minorities and squelching dissenting opinions would be welcome. Democracies are about majority decision, but not when those decisions infringe upon the rights of everyone.

I'm sorry, but that is not a defensible position for someone who doesn't believe in absolute morality. If there is no "right" and no "wrong" that doesn't change, then you're subject to the whims of society, including the rights that said society grants. You'd have a legitimate gripe if you lived in a non-democratic country, but that's not the case.

I have had atheists (other than you, I think, I don't remember you saying this) tell me that morality comes from society, not a source like God, and they've a complete set of arguments to support that.

You live in a society that doesn't support divorce, so you can either change the societal views, move to a place that thinks like you do, or learn to live with it. I don't agree with a lot that America and Americans do, but I've learned to live with it, because I like America, and I'm clearly never going to get the nation to see things the way that I do.

Moreover, it is patently offensive for you to call Christians hypocrites for not criticizing the Catholic church for this, never mind comparing it with terrorism. Regardless of whether I agree with them or not (and let me make it clear, I do not,) I am not going to criticize them, or anyone, including you, for standing up for what they believe in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join