It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK tried to stop worldwide UFO Investigation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

UK tried to stop worldwide UFO Investigation

www.aolnews.com

The file includes many pages detailing the British government's attempt in 1978 to derail the country of Grenada's plan to convince the United Nations to form a special UFO study committee. The reason these documents resonated so strongly with me is because I'm the one who produced Grenada's UFO presentation at the U.N. all those years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There you have it. Its official. All you have to do is rummage through thousands of files de-classified by the UK last week.
They ACTIVELY tried to suppress information on UFOs.

They must have forgotten to remove a few files before releasing those previously declassified documents. Why would the UK be so worried about a UN Panel for the Investigation for UFOs???

www.aolnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A relevant snippet:

One 1978 document just released in the British National Archives addresses the United Kingdom's desire to oppose a UFO committee out of fear that it would ultimately cause the U.N. to fall into some sort of disrepute:
The British delegation does not think that the establishment of an agency for research into unidentified flying objects is appropriate to the functions of the United Nations. ...

Hopefully, a confrontation with the representatives of Grenada can be avoided, but the U.K. should not hesitate to make its views known as and when appropriate. ...

Foreign and Commonwealth Office ministers expressed the view that to set up any such body would reduce the credibility of the U.N.; accordingly, the U.K. delegation was instructed to oppose.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
A good reason as to why, in my opinion, is simply that if the UN panel was allowed to continue it would legitimize the UFO phenomenon on a global scale.
Obviously, boh the 'Aliens' and the governments don't want them be seen or they would have said hi to everyone by now.
On a side note, thats the most unnerving thing about the entire UFO phenomenon to me; The fact they obviously want SOMETHING. If the intentions of the ET's were purely benevolent they would be saving us from ourselves by now. If they wanted to glass the planet, eat us, what have you they also would have no need to skulk around. I'm sure there wouldn't be a thing we could do about it.
So that leaves what? Manupulation? Just scientific observation? Its the grey area that bothers me. (pun intended)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

But what possible intrest could the UK government have in keeping this under wraps? I would have thought the US would have had an intrest? Doesnt make sense to me at all.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
If the intentions of the ET's were purely benevolent they would be saving us from ourselves by now.

There's one other possibility: Non-intervention treaties.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by StripedBandit
If the intentions of the ET's were purely benevolent they would be saving us from ourselves by now.

There's one other possibility: Non-intervention treaties.

Can you extrapolate?

S&F&
btw

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by movetovanuatu
But what possible intrest could the UK government have in keeping this under wraps?

The fact that they ACTIVELY oppose a little investigation is so telling. UFOlogists have been suspecting this, so this is nothing new to them. Im just surprised they forgot to delete this part of the files.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
the old way of money, power over others, greed and egoism. Unity is not up for discussion neither is peace

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Can you extrapolate?

He said that if they dont intervene that means they are not benevolent. Im saying one cannot intervene and still be benevolent, for example if there is a non-intervention treaty among....some galactic federation or such.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I've started looking at these documents ( the two first ones) and I consider this interesting stuff. I will investigate further when I'll have the time to. Altough, I'm asking myself this question ; why would they release or ''unclassified'' these documents NOW ( March 2011 ) ? I mean ... those reports are dating back in the 90's and it's become the time to show to the masses the so said documents because of the Freedom Of Information only 20 years later
?

Hiding informations for so many years, then comes the ATS report at the UFO congress and then in march the release of UFO documents
This is what makes thinking about what will come next.

Strange coincidences but still so relevant considering the small ammount of time between each one of them.

P.S. : What do you think about it guys ?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

A relevant snippet:

One 1978 document just released in the British National Archives addresses the United Kingdom's desire to oppose a UFO committee out of fear that it would ultimately cause the U.N. to fall into some sort of disrepute:
The British delegation does not think that the establishment of an agency for research into unidentified flying objects is appropriate to the functions of the United Nations. ...

Hopefully, a confrontation with the representatives of Grenada can be avoided, but the U.K. should not hesitate to make its views known as and when appropriate. ...

Foreign and Commonwealth Office ministers expressed the view that to set up any such body would reduce the credibility of the U.N.; accordingly, the U.K. delegation was instructed to oppose.

Interesting, but I think you nailed it with that. Although the machinations of behind the scenes intelligence orgs is often hard to decipher, so it's slightly possible there is a deeper meaning.

side note: Brilliant avatar. Funny & cool at the same time.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Can you extrapolate?

He said that if they dont intervene that means they are not benevolent. Im saying one cannot intervene and still be benevolent, for example if there is a non-intervention treaty among....some galactic federation or such.

I think this is possible even without such a treaty, their benevolence may be tied in with the motive to absolutely not intevene at any cost! For instance, if they were aware that any such intervention could potentially lead to our(or their) destruction, they woud think twice.. right?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Here I go, again.

My opinion hasn't changed. Governments don't tell what they know, because they don't know anything. There are no real answers, and people aren't going to stand for that. People want answers, especially in countries where a whole lotta money is paid to defense departments and other highly paid experts who are supposed to know stuff.

They don't know.

That's unacceptable and results in either panic (OMG our airspace is being violated and we don't know by whom or even WHAT!!) and/or an enraged citizenry demanding ... something be done. O'Hare is a perfect example. You think any agency wants to admit the space over one of the busiest airports on the planet isn't secure from... we don't even know what? No way. Disclosure would be: "We're disclosing that we don't know what we're dealing with".

Now panic ensues, and even more and more "sightings" will happen, more hoaxes are created, the meme rages, and in the end, just as it ever was, only a scant few situations are really, truly inexplicable "UFOs". It's a can no one wants to open, and there sure doesn't appear to be any priority for it.

So there you go.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 3/8/2011 by yeahright because: Typo

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Another very plausible situation, however, i'm not sure there would be that much of a panic really, I mean obviously I can't predict what would happen, if I said I could, I would be lying. But when you really think about it , it simply doesn't feel right. I mean when the American people were told that "terrorists are everywhere and any plane you see could potentially crash into the building you're in and kill you and your family" sure people were scared and angry, but the citizenry just fell in line and did their bit. They were no harder to control, if anything it was easier!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
[

side note: Brilliant avatar. Funny & cool at the same time.

Thanks, I thought I`d get dressed up for imminent UFO Disclosure.

Yours is decent too.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Can you extrapolate?

Sorry - might be me, but I'm still not clear on what you mean.

AND, I'm really intrigued by Vallee's statement:

"we proposed the idea of the sharing of data."

Sounds like what Vallee meant was that you guys wanted all countries and their scientists to share the data - but the US and other (?) corporate-government partnerships wanted to keep it all confidential. Why? Was it to profit from inside info?

Seems we're really going that way, what with space being privatized, NASA effectively shut down and considering the terms of the Human Research Program Program Plan for space. Not to mention burntheships thread, Scientists And Scientific Freedom ARE Under Attack and Harper's latest move in Canada: No More Free Access to Canadian Science Journals.

Alone, your topic here is an important issue - in the larger context, it's downright urgent.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by movetovanuatu

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And you make an excellent point. My belief is that the very fact that the outcome is anything but certain makes it less likely they'll (meaning the governments) invoke a high risk - zero reward strategy. You admit you're ignorant and there's a significant possibility that has a negative impact with no payoff.

There's no reason for governments to admit ignorance, and every reason to hide it. From a realpolitik standpoint, if you say nothing, the other guys might think it's your stuff up there. If the other guy admits ignorance, you roll your eyes and say, "Yeah, we know. It isn't yours." Then you shut up.

The best strategic course of action is to admit nothing and let the "other side" speculate.

Which is exactly what happens.

Of course, for purposes of my scenario, there needs to really be "stuff" up there which no one can explain. I can't prove that, but it's what I believe. I think a significant percentage of it is man made tech. Most of the other is natural anomaly, or mis-identified by mistaken observers. There's just enough truly (as far as we know) inexplicable to make it interesting.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by movetovanuatu
reply to post by StripedBandit

But what possible intrest could the UK government have in keeping this under wraps?

StripedBandit, that's a good question and one possibilty is pressure from the U.S. Intelligence agencies - there's an interesting CIA document here describing 'the creation of the correction of public opinion' and here's what Dr Jacques Vallee (who was present at the 1978 U.N. meeting) had to say about government suppression of UFO data in 1992:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d7af54603b84.jpg[/atsimg]

"Governments took notice, organizing task forces, encouraging secret briefings and study groups, funding classified research and all the time denying before the public that any of the phenomena might be real. The major revelation of these Diaries may be the demonstration of how the scientific community was misled by the government, how the best data were kept hidden, and how the public record was shamelessly manipulated."

Dr. Jacques Vallee, astrophysicist, computer scientist 1992

If a person wanted to speculate further then it's even claimed on this documentary that the U.S. offered 'significant economic and career related incentives to Ecuadorian Military personnel so that information and documents pertaining to UFOs were concealed'.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
and they wanna shut down sights like ATS saying conspiracy people are wrong. well, apparently this news proves us right
It is a conspiracy after all

<<   2  3 >>

join