It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military-Industrial Complex from Eisenhower to Obama (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Here is an interview with Gareth Porter, who renames the Military Industrial Complex (MIC from now on) situation to what he calls the "Permanent War State".

Of course, no video concerning the MIC would be complete without the famous warning by Eisenhower. Already a fan of his, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that he was also in opposition of using the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Mr. Porter explains how financing the MIC is a bipartisan issue, beginning under Kennedy and flourishing under Reagan/Bush.

Following the Vietnam war debacle, the MIC was having trouble with its public relations in convincing the population that military spending was a priority. A new perceived threat was required... enter the Soviet/Communist threat and the "Cold War". Using this excuse, Reagan was able to revive the MIC with a 43% increase in military spending.

Once this "threat" vanished unexpectedly with the fall of communism, the MIC was again in need of an argument to support its fund raising efforts... enter PNAC, Gulf War of '91, and of course, 9/11.

Even thought this new policy of "projecting U.S. military might abroad" has turned out to be a massive, costly failure, any cuts in the military budget remain untouchable.

To me, this is both an issue of military corporate interests funding Washington, and the way in which the MIC is present in almost every voting district of the U.S.

The absence of any and all morality and ethics when war is a for-profit venture and human lives (both soldiers and civilian) are seen as nothing more than expendable variables in a cost-feasibility analysis is enough to make me want to puke.

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

Billmeister,

Thanks for posting. S&F!

Eishenhower's Farewell Address always strikes such a chord with me. How did America reach this point? Here is the former C-in-C of all Allied forces in WWII, who was later elected President, warning all of us that these S.O.B.'s are out there and they won't be messing around. I mean he knew these people as well as anyone and he's raising red flags right in his farewell.

Now read the headlines from nowadays.

Thanks for the warning Mr. Eisenhower. Regretably ignored!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'm surprised this didn't get more of a discussion going.

Perhaps it is the nature of a forum with so many threads added on a daily basis, or perhaps it is because the blame is shared across the partisan lines, making it more difficult to lean on partisan rants instead of honest debate.

Then again, maybe it is the type of thing only I, and a few others are interested in.

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister
I'm surprised this didn't get more of a discussion going.

Perhaps it is the nature of a forum with so many threads added on a daily basis, or perhaps it is because the blame is shared across the partisan lines, making it more difficult to lean on partisan rants instead of honest debate.

Then again, maybe it is the type of thing only I, and a few others are interested in.

the Billmeister

That's exactly what I wondered too. I mean, c'mon! We are talking a real turning point in American politics.

Sigh!

new topics

top topics

join