It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Example of business abuse with lack of union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Businesses that have salary workers have found a new way to skirt the law with unions out of the way.
Since salary workers are not payed by the hour they can be told to work overtime with no extra pay.
A company can force the overtime as long as the hours and pay is not below the minimum wage per hour.
No law broken.
edit on 8-3-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

There is nothing new about this at all. Businesses have been doing it for years.

I was always under the impression that salary meant you received x amount of money per pay period whether you worked 100 hours or only 10 hours but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I have seen "salary" of x amount of dollars per week but the employee must work at least 1 hr overtime and have seen "salary" of x amount for employee that is working 70-80 hours a week but when that employee called in sick 1 day they had their pay docked for not showing up.

I have also seen some employees get together and sue the employers who make these abuses and get back pay.

I look at it like if you're going to allow someone to abuse You then You deserve it, If You don't like how You're being treated then walk away. (that goes for all aspects of life)

edit on 8-3-2011 by Adamanteus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

In theory Unions are an awesome idea, in practice though they become hijacked by organized crime, political radical's that don't care about the industry or workers, or they become hijacked by crooked do nothings.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I wish unions still held power in the UK, i feel like i wouldnt be spoken to like i was a piece of meat by my employer. Would surely level the playing field.

new topics

top topics

join