It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Average US drivers and Texans are worse drivers than local drivers, in 29 states of the US!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Explanation: It has come to my attention that 1.4 deaths occur on average per single fatal motor vehical accident [mva] per 100,000 head of population per annum in the ENTIRE usa and that that is also the average for the state of Texas [TX].

It has also come to my attention that that average is WORSE than in 29 other states of the usa!

There are only 14 states with worse than the national or TX average [which is also shared by 5 other states]!

The safest state was MA with 7 deaths per 10 fatal mva's and the worst was MT with 21 deaths per 10 fatal mva's [TX and national average would be 14 deaths per 10 fatal mva's] and the difference between these two extremes is the TX and nation average in lives lost per 10 fatal mva's i.e 14 EXTRA fatalities.

So Texans may be your average driver in the usa BUT then those Texans and other average national drivers are WORSE drivers than local drivers in over 29 states of the usa!

I got my data from this 1pg only PDF. [NOTE: .pdf file]

Table 1102. Motor Vehical Accidents - Number and Deaths: 1980 to 2008 [census.gov]

And as OL is not an American I got my map data from... [NOTE: provided here for reference only]

Free US Map (including States and abreviations) [50states.com]

Personal Disclosure:
Next time wuk [whatuknow] tells any member that Texans can't drive be aware they are correct because Texans are in top 40% of worse drivers and compared with their State of MI, 4 more people die per 10 fatal car crashes in Texas or nationally.

Wukkys State is worse only when compared with 8 other states. So if your from one of those States please feel free to
at them.

P.S. Otherwise just
OK because Hell just froze over!
wukky OL loves you!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
In Texas, I can immediately see two reasons for this.. Everyone drives because public transportation is awful. And a large majority drive oversized vehicles.. mainly trucks.

I can see trucks and hazardous conditions as a reason for the higher mortality in MT as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

You need to take a lot more into consideration than the stats you gave. About the closest you can get to a better understanding of the stats is to take the total miles of roads in Texas, typical miles driven in Texas, and the number of passengers in the fatal crashes. Then there is the typical speed which, of course, is going to be high in Texas because of the wide-spread state.

edit on 8-3-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
But you also have to look at the fact that the safety standards for Trucks are different than those of Automobiles.

Everything from accident avoidance, braking distances, rollover risks. To how the body crumples allowing the engine to enter the passenger compartment as well as how the seats holdup/deform in a crash.

Cars generally perform better and have better survivability rates than those of Trucks and SUVs.

Most of the States you mention, with the highest fatality rates are more rural meaning more pickup trucks....
the lowest being Massachusetts and Connecticut where there are more likely fewer pick ups driven per capita.

More Trucks means more injuries/fatalities unfortunately. Most of these fatalities are attributed to rollovers and resulting roof collapses.

Statistics don't lie.

Plain and Simple.

edit on 23-4-2011 by nh_ee because: typos

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

top topics

join