It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to protect yourself when SHTF in UK/country where guns are banned?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The title explains what im asking really. Here in the UK getting a gun is not an option unless you have a lot of land and even then they are very limited capacity and power.

Not far from me is a school that I have been to with a cadet force and there is an armoury with single action SA80's (GP rifles) and a few LSW's which are fully automatic. There are also live 5.56 rounds there. If the SHTF I know that would be one place that is very loosely protected and with just a double brick wall and a thick steel door it wouldnt be too hard to get in there.

This is just an example of a place nearby that I know has a wealth of arms, But this is not a certainty. I wouldnt want to aquire a gun of the street, risking years in prison or getting ripped of. So I thought i'd ask every on here who have a pretty good idea when it comes to this sort of thing. I've heard other posts people discussing crossbows etc which are ok, but there will be people out there with guns and a crossbow or bow will just not cut it against the people who do have weapons. The majority of these would be .22 rifles, shotguns and lower calibre pistols.

While im not saying I would steal a weapon illegaly, if TSHTF then the rules change, i'd consider this an immediate option.

Anyway sorry this isnt a very well structured and thought out post but I just wanted to throw another view ion there.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
A gun would be much harder to keep operational in a SHTF scenario. Ammo would become rare, while with a bow or crossbow you can easily fashion your own ammo. Plus, its a lot harder to hear a bow than a gun. Besides, I for one would much rather be hit by a bullet than a crossbow bolt.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
As it is there are a surprising number of guns in these highly regulated or banned countries that fudged numbers and authorities would rather you not know about. In 2005 there was an estimated 4 million illegal firearms in the UK. No way that number has done anything but grow in the past five years.

If a real SHTF event comes your way you'll see more guns than you ever thought possible.

I guess avoiding people altogether is tough on an island. Maybe get a cricket bat or something.
edit on 8-3-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

your right there, I think a lot of people thinkg because they are illegal that there are very few about. When they here about young teenagers shooting each other they dont seem to sstop and think how easy it would be to get one of the street.

I think as I wrote this thread it changed from what to use apart from a gun to how to accuire one/is trying to get one a good idea? The armoury I was talkin about has ov er 500 rifles and honestly I am amazed how poorly re-enforced it is in a country with such strict laws. Even if I were avoiding people theres 60million of us in this small space so thats not practical and having protection would be essential. I would feel much safer with a rifle lkike the ones I mentioned, but something smaller that you can hide would also be a good idea. The problem is getting hold of one

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Personally I'll stick with the locals around here since they have enough firearms, and make their own black powder (hence why in the last couple of years some 400+ parking meters have been blown up around here
)

On the flip side, given how inexperienced most people are with guns in the UK, adding fear and panic in a SHTF situation might make them rather trigger happy.. so perhaps it might be better if they where not armed with firearms.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by clintdelicious

I don't think you understood my point. In a SHTF scenario, almost everybody will be fighting over ammunition. One of your most valuable assets in that situation would be the ability to make your own ammo. Besides, people survive gunshots all the time. A crossbow bolt is going to leave a much worse wound though.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I suggest you not divulge any more info on the armory. Shhhh.... keep it quiet.

Good idea, but your too loud about it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
On the flip side, given how inexperienced most people are with guns in the UK, adding fear and panic in a SHTF situation might make them rather trigger happy.. so perhaps it might be better if they where not armed with firearms.

That would be terrible. Either armed by illicit means or even armed intentionally and lawfully by their own government should the need ever arise the complete lack of familiarity, training and practice would result a terrible mess.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think that having a "just in case" gun with ammo is important, whether it's legal or not.
Getting one and keeping it tucked away somewhere shouldn't be extremely difficult, and might just save your life someday, whether or not the SHTF. Of course, if the S does HTF, I doubt we'd be worrying about gun laws. We'd have bigger problems on our plates.

In the event that you need it in a non-SHTF scenario, I'd prefer to be the guy going to court as opposed to the guy going to the cemetary. Well, most days, anyway.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Just put a "go box" together with all that you think you will need, make a plan and stick to it. Scout out for shelter before hand, like now, fins a cave easy to protect or a foxhole you can make and protect. As for the guns and stuff, it's not a bad idea to have one with plenty of amo but use it a lees as you can. The crossbow idea is a great one, you can always make more arrows and if you need to absolutely defend your area research Vietnamese death traps....They are quite easy to build and require almost no materials outside of what you already find in nature.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
In my "Go Pack" which is ready and waiting, just in case like, I have got all the usual batteries, two-way radios, compass, knife and other survival bits.

BUT, I have also got a full power Air Pistol .22 which is completely legal to own and use on your land / property or a friendly farmers field. I am also in the process of getting an Air Rifle with scope, again completely legal to purchase here in the UK as long as you're over the age of 18 etc.

My Pistol fits in my Go Pack (large camera bag) and the rifle would be easy to carry or throw in your car too. Pellets are less than 1p each (tins of 500) and they will kill a rabbit / squirrel / bird (whatever takes your fancy) if you need a meal. Sounds bad but when you gotta eat, you would do it!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Have you checked with gun shooting ranges, I think shotguns are allowed with less restrictions, I would look for more information from the ranges.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
hit the rural area's for shotgun shops the cadets armoury good idea's but killing other people wouldent be the awnser getting loads of food and water ready for the longhaul getting ur house/flat ready for a firefight because it
shtf hear its gunna be a european incursion it depends wether the army fight for crooked thieving banker elites or ther family friends and countrymen i love this country and ill sacrafice my life to preserve whats left of our soverintry

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Ha dont worry my location where I live atm is totally different to where im going to be by the time TSHTF (if it does) in the UK you would be amazed the number of schools with armouries who are attached to cadet forces. Too many for the govt forces to secure quickly.

The crossbow is a good idea dont get me wrong, but when the enemy has a firearm its effectiveness is reduced a lot. You can get these grenades that paintballers or some people use that are like small flashbangs. They are legal and cheap and they I always thought would be a great distraction tool to confuse an enemy for enough time to escape as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
air rifles exist in calibers all the way up to .50

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If the SHTF last thing i would want is a gun, I would escape to the mountains and hide.
If you are carrying a gun and are confronted with someone also with a gun you will be shot at, ill take my chances without one thanks.

Guns are for cowards.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

Thats a great point they would be very good for killing animals without wasting more valuble, powerful ammunition. When it comes to people tho will even the strongest air rifle be ennough to stop someone? I have a mate that has 2 very crazy lodgers and they would sometimes shoot each other in the backside when drunk with an air rifle and I was amazed that it did so little damage (could have been a pretty rubbish one tho)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
yea paintball guns that fire tear gass balls and glass balls sure that would be easyer to use marbles wouyld be good if u ran out of ammo lol

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
What i would do is join a Medieval Reenactment group.

Then get a English Longbow

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
In my "Go Pack" which is ready and waiting, just in case like, I have got all the usual batteries, two-way radios, compass, knife and other survival bits.

BUT, I have also got a full power Air Pistol .22 which is completely legal to own and use on your land / property or a friendly farmers field. I am also in the process of getting an Air Rifle with scope, again completely legal to purchase here in the UK as long as you're over the age of 18 etc.

My Pistol fits in my Go Pack (large camera bag) and the rifle would be easy to carry or throw in your car too. Pellets are less than 1p each (tins of 500) and they will kill a rabbit / squirrel / bird (whatever takes your fancy) if you need a meal. Sounds bad but when you gotta eat, you would do it!

Bit off topic, but don't forget we have plenty of shoreline and in turn lots of Seagulls (see note) I am sure these will be overlooked in any SHTF situation, however some of the older fishermen I know do recommended them as a nice alternative.

Seagull Recipes

Note
In the U.K it is against the law to kill seagulls or interfere with their nests under the countryside and wildlife act

edit on 8/3/11 by thoughtsfull because: fix spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join