It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2012 Phenomenon (and why it is so VERY dangerous to perpetuate this nonsense...)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by derst1988

Yes it could happen, and yes it may not. The thing about it is, your trying to choose an answer, when thought is based on input, or relevant truths. The universe and even our planet is all beyond our relevance, so why try to "know" the answer. Speculate on all things. To "know" anything is to be prideful and egotistical.

Apparently the the Mayans "know" something, as do all the people that have studied their history and claimed they found something to predict the future (besides astronomical calculations). So anyone clinging to this myth "knows" something I don't know.

We can predict things that move in set laws. We cannot predict anything that is incalculable.
edit on 9-3-2011 by boncho because: oops

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sam4000
reply to post by LiveForever8

This topic should be sent to the trash .
show us hard evidence to debunk 2012 .
If you think it's another poor mans y2k .
Its your own opinion .

So it is YOUR OPINION that this thread should be sent to the trash, because it is based on someone else's opinion??
aah, the irony

show us hard evidence to debunk 2012 .

Did that statement make any sense before you typed it?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Y2K was just going to be a fault at best and not the end of the world but 2012 is talked about by all cultures going back thousands of years and they all say the same thing.
You can't compare Y2K with 2012...............and no,i'm not saying anything will happen on Dec 21st 2012.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by derst1988

Apparently the the Mayans "know" something, as do all the people that have studied their history and claimed they found something to predict the future (besides astronomical calculations). So anyone clinging to this myth "knows" something I don't know.

We can predict things that move in set laws. We cannot predict anything that is incalculable.

The mayans "know" what is relevant to them. Or they have different inputs to let their brain process in order to reach the outcome they have. That does not mean they "know". It means they have concluded.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I believe that the Mayans knew the truth and so did the other cultures!
9/11 was predicted almost a thousand years ago and also in 1901.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It is my belief that all information should be evaluated before adopting it as personal truth. The 2012 prediction is merely that: a potential circumstance that hasn't happened yet. Whatever happens on December 21st, 2012 is just as consequential as what happened at the very beginning of time. Whatever happens in 2012 is just as crucial and life altering as the occurrences of this coming week. Knowing this, a little preparation is always smart; but remember that life doesn't end until its over and your ability to influence your legacy is out of your hands.

As if we need yet another reminder that life is short, right? No matter your beliefs, tomorrow is never guaranteed. Despite this, we continue our lives as normal. Most of us are prepared for the next day, even while many don't ever think that today could be their last alive.

Do yourself a favor. Go ahead and spend $100 on canned goods, put it away in your basement and be done with it. From this moment forth, live and be grateful for the influence you have on others. Remember that the person next to you is family and treat him/her as such; because you might need them when an emergency really occurs.

As for the dangers of this prophecy/hoax from a child's perspective, I agree that all things should be discussed openly. There are no stupid questions or unfounded feelings for a child. Encourage within them a sense of self worth and recognize the signals they are trying to send you. It is most often the case that something like this is really a blanket for something more personal anyways. There are a few good parents here (current and upcoming). Keep it up!

No matter what happens in 2012, people are the most important thing to happen to each of us. Instead of promoting fear, should we not promote unity? Think for a minute- if Nibaru is looming in the horizon, only a week away from striking the Earth's surface, would it not be better to be among the hundreds who are already willing to coexist and act as a community? If these people get together and build a massive structure and invite your efforts to complete it faster, wouldn't you want to trust the people with whom you are living in that structure? I'm just saying.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Y2K was just going to be a fault at best and not the end of the world but 2012 is talked about by all cultures going back thousands of years and they all say the same thing.
You can't compare Y2K with 2012...............and no,i'm not saying anything will happen on Dec 21st 2012.

There is one thing that I just cannot seem to grasp. Some people have actually done some in depth studying and investigating of the many different ancient cultures, but most have not.

When did you first learn that "all cultures, going back thousands of years," said anything about this particular year in question? Who told you? Nobody seems to be able to answer this simple question- Who told you? Was it told to you directly from "all cultures, going back thousands of years,"??

Several who believe that next year is going to be a special monumental time of change, are not saying that it is definitely going to be a world ending cataclysmic event. This bypasses the point of the OP, which is a simple point about not spreading the mass fear. It is not about denying the possibility of change.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

That does not mean they "know". It means they have concluded.

Sounds like the same thing, but whatever.

------------------------------ I will break it down. ------------------------

Ever notice how all prophecies are vague besides the ones that claim fiery brimstone (but those give us no dates)?

If someone says: people will be enlightened, or humans will get smarter or humans will suffer, etc, etc ,etc. It can get applied to any event.

If someone invented a new power source that revolutionized the world, religious nuts would all say that they called for it, so would Nostrodamus sycophants. But really, it was technology and science that did it. They same thing religious nuts have been fighting against so many years.

Prophecies work after the fact, simple as that. We can change our future but can't predict it. Prophecies are little more than lotteries.

edit on 9-3-2011 by boncho because: typo

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spolvil

You are the first person i've seen that also agrees that Y2K and 2012 cannot be compared.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

but 2012 is talked about by all cultures going back thousands of years and they all say the same thing.

That is nonsense.

The next major close approach asteroid to come near to Earth is Apophis in 2029. If the religious zealots haven't taken advantage of it already, than do some research on it and the related material behind it.

I guarantee in 2025 you will find dozens of references to religion on all sorts of nutty things that say this one is the 'real deal'. Just as every other close disaster has been portrayed by the same people.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Here's the thing, however. Y2K was nothing more than a dress-rehearsal used to prepare the world population for the **possibly** very real events to unfold about 11 years later. Then, on the verge of the 2012 events, TPTB would refer back to Y2K and say EXACTLY what you have said. It's like using a straw-man argument that is very weak to deflate a stronger point of view or theory.

The purpose of Y2K was to de-legitamize 2012. Classic PSYOPS (psychological operations) program!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

On the comments page of this site, a mother of a 7 year old said:

I have a 7 year old that happened to see a documentary on the history channel that scared him so bad, that he became depressed and began to question the meaning of life. He is 7 years old. This nonsense is scaring our children - it must stop immediately. I found this website and tried the best I can to explain to him it was all a hoax.
2012 Hoax

This is similar to blaming video games for violence. Lazy parents who don't take an interest in what they're kids are taking in for content has no excuse. Next thing she'll be saying is "My 8 year old daughter seen two girls kissing on Glee and now thinks she's a lesbian, please stop this homosexual madness as you're giving the wrong impression to my child!". Instead of pointing at others for their wrong doings, these parents/teachers need to educate today's children on media content and delivery, so they have the proper tools to discern for themselves whats real and whats fiction. Whats the average age children start watching TV and playing on their parents computer? Whats the average age people start educating children about what is on the TV and internet?

But let the lazy finger pointing and parenting continue, god knows can't take away the free babysitting that the TV and Internet provide for these parents.
edit on 9-3-2011 by CDNBilderberg because: Forgot to close the quote

edit on 9-3-2011 by CDNBilderberg because: html fixes

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer

Here's the thing, however. Y2K was nothing more than a dress-rehearsal used to prepare the world population for the **possibly** very real events to unfold about 11 years later. Then, on the verge of the 2012 events, TPTB would refer back to Y2K and say EXACTLY what you have said. It's like using a straw-man argument that is very weak to deflate a stronger point of view or theory.

The purpose of Y2K was to de-legitamize 2012. Classic PSYOPS (psychological operations) program!

Tell me, did this psy-ops campaign start in the 1800's???

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CDNBilderberg

I agree with you on that, I hate the idea of sheltering kids. Even though I listed an example, I still think the kid is an idiot for believing.

The problem though, is that some of the parents believe this BS. Well, there you have a problem...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Here we go again... When will people stop citing Y2K in discussions about 2012?
Y2K was a potential man made computer glitch which we sorted by getting our tech guys (and gals) onto it. Yes it could have caused disasters but if anyone thought it was some biblical end of world scenario, frankly they should have been on meds.

2012 is different. I have no idea if there is anything to it. And yes a whole host of people have jumped onto the money making bandwagon. Books, DVDs, talks, conferences, survival gear...
Still - I'm on the fence on this having heard many good arguments both for and against. But even if not true, people are working themselves up into such a frenzy that tptb must be rubbing their hands. False flag anyone?

But first people had better focus on getting through 2011.

edit on 9-3-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

2012 is different. I have no idea if there is anything to it. And yes a whole host of people have jumped onto the money making bandwagon. Books, DVDs, talks, conferences, survival gear...

So you are saying it is exactly the same then?

Here's some perspective...

Real end of the world scenario = No one gives a flying cockroach about DVD's or anything else that earns them money that is about to become non-existent.

As far as the argument that it will bring "enlightenment", address some real world issues first, because unless all disease and war is about to stop, then the only enlightenment people will find is whatever is being forcefed to them.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I must say I did need that chuckle about the relatives in the opening post....I can see it clearly lol

If I didn't have experiences with other life Beings I would probably not even be here at this site or involved with this subject period but I have had these experiences and since I know I'm not nuts even though I may sound so at times I will say plainly their is something coming our way and it isn't going to be pretty but it won't be what it was supposed to be..... such as the ELE of this Human race.

I wrote about it a few times and I shared what to be aware of and as they say, whatever is to be will be. Good luck is all I can say and there is still time to observe events getting worse and for you all to wake up

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm all for instilling rational thought into children, but I think you're going to run into a problem with the religious sect if you try to shut people up about their inane end of the world beliefs. Nothing scared me more as a kid than the thought of being alive to see God's "love and mercy" visited upon the world during the end times. I would have loved to have heard about such crazy beliefs online through Youtube or Yahoo Answers, instead I heard about it in a building that my family and community gathered in each week under threat of eternal torture.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I think the way that the 2012 thing went mainstream in the past 5 or so years shows how prevalent conspiracy theory is in pop culture, thanks in part to the internet and general apathy and feelings of helplessness towards the democratic political system and globalisation of big business.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Has anybody ever wondered if Y2K was a big conspiracy to create a big 'dooms day' that never panned out? Because seriously, all it would have taken was a few government(US) agencies to start talking about this, and NASA, and say they are preparing for blah blah blah, and then like clockwork the rest of the world would have followed suite.

It woulden't have had to of been a 'global conspiracy' where people were in the know from every corner of the world, but rather one influential/credible(HA! not anymore...) government to start spouting off about the threat of Y2K, and ta da. A make shift doomsday.

But why would anyone want to do this? Maybe it was to throw people off from 2012? or the events that will be occurring around 2012? Leaving people with the general belief, 'nothing happened in 1999/2000. it was all fake like this is. just another Y2K.'.

Not that this is something I believe in. In fact I just made this up on a whim just not, but it is an interesting theory. I am sure I am not the first one to have the idea pop into their mind....

***ADD***

lol Upon going back and reading all the comments I see other's have thought just that.
edit on 9-3-2011 by loagun because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join