It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recycled Cardboard can Cause Cancer!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

[Packaging for foods including breakfast cereal is to be changed after researchers raised concerns about possible health risks from recycled cardboard,

The Swiss study found that mineral oils in printing ink from recycled newspapers used in cardboard can get into foods such as cereal, pasta and rice - even passing through protective inner plastic bags.
Dr Koni Grob, of the Food Safety Laboratory in Zurich, said toxicologists had linked the oils to inflammation of internal organs and even cancer, though he stressed that individual meals would contain only a tiny dose of the chemicals.
Cereal firm Jordans has stopped using recycled cardboard, according to the BBC, while other manufacturers are taking action to reduce levels of mineral oils in packaging.

Tests found mineral oils could even leak through plastic inner packaging

here is a link www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 8-3-2011 by lewman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
wow cancer from cornflake boxes, what about my cardboard ciggarette packs. i hope i dont get cancer from those

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
these chems must be pretty hardcore if they permeate through the plastic..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
SO, the gist of the whole article is that newspapers are toxic and shouldn't ever come in contact with food. this means reading while eating your lunch is a bad idea. If these chemicals penetrate plastic, what about skin contact?

reformulating these dyes might be a good idea, if the situation is really that bad.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

i remember many times in the toilet with the daily sport newspaper(full of semi naked girls) as a teenager, so i hope i havent damaged my tinkle wand

new topics

top topics

join