It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Arming Militias in Louisiana?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Notice the news anchor wet his pants..Sheeple are worse than Satan. Spineless turds.

Deebo
edit on 8-3-2011 by Deebo because: too add

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

What is your take on this Deebo? Are they exempt from the same laws as police?

i.e. Can they kill someone and get away with it?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
ummmm something ain't jiving here.
That footage of the war wagon is archive
footage from Fox. I have seen it before on ATS
in another thread concerning DHS.
Last I remember, they were helping train
people to assist Homeland Security
with implementing Martial Law
NOT helping Militias to save the state.
This has a spin on it.

beware

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Naptown317
reply to post by Deebo

Where do you get that from? Id trust them more than the police.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
ummmm something ain't jiving here.
That footage of the war wagon is archive
footage from Fox. I have seen it before on ATS
in another thread concerning DHS.
Last I remember, they were helping train
people to assist Homeland Security
with implementing Martial Law
NOT helping Militias to save the state.
This has a spin on it.

beware

Really now.. Did not know.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
www.youtube.com...

Notice the news anchor wet his pants..Sheeple are worse than Satan. Spineless turds.

Deebo

Operation Exodus

I particularly like how its being protrayed by MSNBC. If they would actually look into whats going on, the Sheriff is NOT arming Militias. The Sheriff IS creating a citizen "militia" or Reserve Deputy group. The people are screened and background checks are run to make sure they are not going to people who have criminal records that would prevent them from owning a weapon.

Almost every single Sheriff in the US has the authority to create reserve deputies / reserve programs, in addition to the authority to actually be able to deputize citizens who can act as law enforcement without the presence of a commissioned officer. As a City officer I can only deputize in rare circumstances, and usually entails giving an order to a citizen who is nearby, and ends once the danger is removed.

I love how the media only reports the spin they want to make. MSNBC, the announcer in particular, is nothing but a hack who is distorting / omitting informatin to push his left wing agenda.

USA Today - Louisiana sheriff trains volunteers for 'Project Exodus' to combat terrorism

A Louisiana sheriff has begun training 200 local volunteers in basic hand-to-hand combat techniques as part of Project Exodus aimed at protecting the northwestern corner of the state from the danger of terrorists, the Shreveport Times reports.

Volunteers, not militia...

Reporter Drew Pierson writes that Bossier Parish Sheriff Larry Deen's policing plan involves "a mostly white group of ex-police volunteers and a .50-caliber machine gun" and was inspired in part from the Book of Exodus in the Bible.

Ex Police Officers - Already familiar with the law, federal as well as state requirements for use of deadly force.

The volunteers will be equipped with shotguns, riot shields and batons, the newspaper says. A .50-caliber machine gun will be mounted on what the sheriff's office calls "the war wagon."

Five of the 200 volunteers are black, the Times says. Women will be used only in a "support role," Deen says, indicating non-combat activity.

The teams of "highly trained volunteers" would be used to protect food, water, oil, gas and medical supplies in the event of a disaster, like Hurricane Katrina, in which state and federal resources are limited.

"We want to make sure that never happens here," he says.

They will not be conducting front line law enforcement operations, but support functions to free up commissioned officers.

Funny enough, of all the crap going on in Louisiana, and Gov. Jindle aside, this Sheriff seems to take notice that Katrina was an absolutel disaster with no plans in place to deal with the fact of losing officers, using officers from other states, and ignoring the population as a whole because of choosing to protect critical support areas, or keep the peace.

To me this is the Government putting trust in the people they serve and answer to. There is nothing wrong with this setup, and it increases communication between the Government and the people.

Why did they decide to take this step?

Sheriff's Office Cites Islamic Terror 'Cells' In Bossier Parish

"We understand, based on some intelligence that we've collected over the last year, year and a half, that there have been cells and people operating even within our parish that have been trained as terrorists or went overseas to be trained as terrorists," Ed Baswell, a spokesman for the Bossier Parrish Sheriff's Office, told TPMmuckraker this morning.

"So this is not something that's far, far away," Baswell added. "This is something that is a possibility here in Bossier Parish."

Whats located in the county?

Bossier Parish is the home of Barksdale Air Force Base, from where President Bush addressed the nation in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

edit on 8-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Naptown317
reply to post by Deebo

Judging by your pic and comment, are you whipping out the ole race card there? Whitey with guns must be racist I guess huh..Didn't they free some folks, ohh some years ago...

Deebo

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Deebo
www.youtube.com...

Deebo

Operation Exodus

I particularly like how its being protrayed by MSNBC. If they would actually look into whats going on, the Sheriff is NOT arming Militias. The Sheriff IS creating a citizen "militia" or Reserve Deputy group. The people are screened and background checks are run to make sure they are not going to people who have criminal records that would prevent them from owning a weapon.

Almost every single Sheriff in the US has the authority to create reserve deputies / reserve programs, in addition to the authority to actually be able to deputize citizens who can act as law enforcement without the presence of a commissioned officer. As a City officer I can only deputize in rare circumstances, and usually entails giving an order to a citizen who is nearby, and ends once the danger is removed.

I love how the media only reports the spin they want to make. MSNBC, the announcer in particular, is nothing but a hack who is distorting / omitting informatin to push his left wing agenda.

USA Today - Louisiana sheriff trains volunteers for 'Project Exodus' to combat terrorism

A Louisiana sheriff has begun training 200 local volunteers in basic hand-to-hand combat techniques as part of Project Exodus aimed at protecting the northwestern corner of the state from the danger of terrorists, the Shreveport Times reports.

Volunteers, not militia...

Reporter Drew Pierson writes that Bossier Parish Sheriff Larry Deen's policing plan involves "a mostly white group of ex-police volunteers and a .50-caliber machine gun" and was inspired in part from the Book of Exodus in the Bible.

Ex Police Officers - Already familiar with the law, federal as well as state requirements for use of deadly force.

Whats the point of this?

The volunteers will be equipped with shotguns, riot shields and batons, the newspaper says. A .50-caliber machine gun will be mounted on what the sheriff's office calls "the war wagon."

Five of the 200 volunteers are black, the Times says. Women will be used only in a "support role," Deen says, indicating non-combat activity.

The teams of "highly trained volunteers" would be used to protect food, water, oil, gas and medical supplies in the event of a disaster, like Hurricane Katrina, in which state and federal resources are limited.

"We want to make sure that never happens here," he says.

Funny enough, of all the crap going on in Louisiana, and Gov. Jindle aside, this Sheriff seems to take notice that Katrina was an absolutel disaster with no plans in place to deal with the fact of loosing officers, using officers from other states, and ignoring the population as a whole because of choosing to protect critical support areas, or keep the peace.

To me this is the Government putting trust in the people they serve and answer to. There is nothing wrong with this setup, and it increases communication between the Government and the people.

From what I saw, these folks can't pass a PT test as far as I am concerned.. As long as they operate within the law. But I suppose that is a diff story. I am not sure what country you are from, but the gun owners I know would not turn on citizens given an opportunity to do this. Would you rather the cops just take these guy's guns away?

Deebo

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

I am not sure if you are misreading my responses or not understand my response. I am a US citizen, and I am Law Enforcement. Katrina, specifically the NOPD seized legal weapons from civilians, which NEVER should have occured.

As far as the people in the story go, they are not being trained for front line law enforcement functions, but support roles. Protecting food, water, communications, jump off / in points for supplies to free up commissioned officers who can be used on the front lines.

I am a very strong believer in the 2nd Amendment, since an armed population makes people citizens, and an unarmed population makes us subjects. The thought process is if something major happens, support wont be coming as quickly as it should for obvious reasons. You make do with what you have until you can be reinforced.

In the instance where something major were to happen, my last thought is going to be if a person can run or not. My main focus would be to have trained personnel who can protect critical areas, not engage in a foot pursuit.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
lol
can't say I didn't warn ya ahead
of time there was spin here

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Deebo

I am not sure if you are misreading my responses or not understand my response. I am a US citizen, and I am Law Enforcement. Katrina, specifically the NOPD seized legal weapons from civilians, which NEVER should have occured.

As far as the people in the story go, they are not being trained for front line law enforcement functions, but support roles. Protecting food, water, communications, jump off / in points for supplies to free up commissioned officers who can be used on the front lines.

I am a very strong believer in the 2nd Amendment, since an armed population makes people citizens, and an unarmed population makes us subjects. The thought process is if something major happens, support wont be coming as quickly as it should for obvious reasons. You make do with what you have until you can be reinforced.

In the instance where something major were to happen, my last thought is going to be if a person can run or not. My main focus would be to have trained personnel who can protect critical areas, not engage in a foot pursuit.

Id like to see these folks leave their family and bug out bags behind to go help the police in a shtf situation. Not saying it can't happen.

Deebo
edit on 8-3-2011 by Deebo because: to add

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

As with anything LAw Enforcement related, the media only reports on it when its something bad. Citizens assisting law enforcement happens on a daily basis, up to and including people who stop when they see an officer fighting with another person on the side of the road, assisting injured people during accidents / disasters etc.

Government does not function without the people, and it does not exist legally without the consent of the people.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Why does he specify islamic extremist? I mean isn't it just as likely to be someone who is christian US citizen or white supremasist or something? If you count mass violence incidents in the US then ismlamic extremist are very low on the incidents.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Assuming this was correctly reported, in the sense that they got it right as far as who is doing what for what reasons, I would guess the terrorist thing is a cover, a cover which would cast them in a less-crazy more favorable light with people in general.

I'm betting they just want to be prepared in case TSHTF, but can't say that because people will call them crazy (which they already did in that video..)

I want to slap the crap out of that news anchor.... what a complete moron. Stupid stupid idiot with his cushy job thinking everything is always going to be OK. HE is the reason people wont wake up in this country, they are just blind to everything that isn't directly in front of them.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

He talks about it because apparently intelligence info is pointing towards its possible existance in that area (US military installation is there). I've seen some of the same information for my neck of the woods as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

JUDGING? Isnt that what gets people in trouble, judging others they know nothing about? Maybe you should think before you speak and try to judge people!

The term militia (pronounced /mɨˈlɪʃə/[1]) is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens[2] to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service. It is a polyseme with multiple distinct but related meanings. Legal and historical meanings of militia include:

So you give ordinary citizens guns, and let them run loose with no law? So back to my original question:Are they exempt from the same laws as police?

P.S.JUDGING by your log in name, your a big black guy with a crooked eye right?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

I know this is not directed at me, but I feel complled to respond, so my appologies up front.

Any ordinary citizen in this country can purchase a firearm, since its gauranteed in the 2nd Amendment. If you have a criminal record (felony, violent, drugg trafficking, your done with a gun) then you are pretty much not going to be getting a gun.

If they are acting under the color of law, which means the moment the Sheriff calls on them, they are, which means they are subject to the exact same standards / laws as any other commissoned Law Enforcement Officer.

I am not entirely sure what you are referencing when saying exempt from the same laws that Police are. The only time we are "exempt" from any type of law deals with us running code (lights and Sirens). We are allowed to disregard traffic regulations (speed, stop signs / red lights etc - but we ARE required to exercise due caution while doing so, and are responsible if an accident occurs, whether its our fault or not).

As far as killing someone and getting away with it, we fall undert the exact same laws civilians do with one glaring exception - 42 USC 1983 (Civil Rights violation). A civilian technically has greater protections under the law for stopping a threat (when lawful) that what law enforcement does. Since we are trained, we are held to a higher standard.

There is nothing wrong with preparing for the worst while hoping for the best.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
It's OK, Most of us who live in Louisiana south of Interstate 10 don't really claim those northern folk anyway. (joke)

Here is our version of the "war wagon" rolling today. Happy Mardi gras!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Exactly what I was wondering, and asking, great post Xcathdra!!

join