It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Eating Planet Caught by Hubble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I realize this is old news, but, I couldn't find it anywhere on here and thought others might find it interesting too!

The Hubble Space Telescope has captured evidence of a Sun-like star "eating" a nearby planet.

Astronomers knew that stars were capable of swallowing planets in orbit around them, but this is the first time the event has been "seen" so clearly.

Pretty cool!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hahahaha...I meant, Planet Eating Sun....Please change title or tell me how! sorry.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

No this title actually works too!!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
LOL. The title works, but it's a bit misleading. After reading the title I thought "how ridiculous. How can a planet 'eat' a star??" I guess it's all perspective

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
also notice how they never have a true picture of the find, only a computer artists' rendition.
typical nasa crap

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Help, you astronomer types. How did this planet get into that situation? Could it have been made like Mercury and has just been losing matter since it's creation? Aren't planets started off further away than that? Is it more likely that it started normally and began with a decaying orbit?

I don't know anything and want to learn.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Haha, nice. is that actually a real image, it seems like a digital artwork. but still, it looks pretty awesome.. it appears to be a gas giant having its hydrogen stolen by the star, in all likely hood that gas giant will go "Boom" soon, once the planet draws closer to the corona of the sun, One big fusion Bomb!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
A sun eating planet would have been FAR more interesting, lol.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OmiCron

is that actually a real image, it seems like a digital artwork.

Although the planet was too far away for Hubble to photograph, scientists have created an image of it, based on analysis of the telescope's data.

The answer to your question was right there.

To the OP- I hadn't seen this story before, but I read the title correctly, so no worries. Just a matter of perception. The lack of punctuation allows it to work both ways.
I read it as "Sun (is) Eating (a) Planet."
edit on 3/8/11 by BrokenCircles because: ()()

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
also notice how they never have a true picture of the find, only a computer artists' rendition.
typical nasa crap

Ignoring that it is pretty obvious why there is no "true" photos of this.
Why exactly would NASA be lying about this.

I think if you take a few minutes to try to figure out why NASA uses artists renditions so often.
Come on I know you can figure this one out.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LikeDuhObviously

It's plainly obvious why the actual picture is not shown. UFO's and ET's spring to mind. Why do u think NASA doctor all their space photos? They don't want us to know what is really out there!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
It's plainly obvious why the actual picture is not shown. UFO's and ET's spring to mind. Why do u think NASA doctor all their space photos? They don't want us to know what is really out there!

Wait...um....WHAT? I apologize if I am missing your sarcasm.

It is plainly obvious, that NASA found an alien life form that can live in a habitat of +1500C°, but they have used a computer to generate this image in order to hide it from us? Is this what you are saying and actually believe? If so, I simply ask you this- Why would they show it at all?

The only obvious part, is the simplest logical explanation. It is too far away for Hubble to get a clear photo of, so they analyzed the data and created an image, that they believe is the most accurate.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

Oh silly me, It is so obvious!
I will obviously take your word for it. But I am interested in your answer to BrokenCircles question. Why would they publish anything about this if they needed to cover something up ? It is not like anyone would ever hear about this planet eating star if not for NASA in the first place.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Isnt that always the way.

You spend years looking for something and when you find it something else comes along and eats it.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LikeDuhObviously

I see your point. But they have always given out information regarding our solar system and what goes on in it. But the truth of what really goes on is supressed and hidden by use of manipulating photos and videos. People want to know what's going on in space and NASA continue to feed us info about it. But only up to a point. Why is it that during their shuttle missions when objects are caught on camera mission control always call the objects something explainable when clearly they are not.

Never A Straight Answer is a correct meaning for NASA. Take the onus off to what is really there. Mislead the people!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

But the truth of what really goes on is supressed and hidden by use of manipulating photos and videos.

I have never seen a photo from NASA and thought cover-up. NASA is open about Earth like planets, life outside our own planet, near earth objects, space weather, they are a sponsor of SETI (obviously not trying to hide anything with this one). In fact they are the leading legitimate source for all these things.

Trust me when I first looked at the Mars rover images I hoped more then anyone on earth to see something wicked awesome like big foot (Obviously this would be the coolest thing EVER!). But the fact is not only are there no super cool images like that, or were any edited to remove the cool stuff out , but there just cannot be a big foot like animal on Mars. We knew this before the rovers left Earth.

Same there is no planet on a path to collide with Earth in the year 2012. We would see it ! People say NASA/Google/etc are editing there images all the time. But there is never even a reason to edit them. The myths that these "blackouts" would be covering up are completely bogus.

Even ITT as someone pointed out even if we could get a "real image" of this happening there is not going to be a UFO that close to the star. You would never see anything inside this range. Because ... well it is a fn' star .. and those things are pretty hot.

Not only have I never seen a NASA image and thought "Cover-up" when I see people doing this I have never really heard a real explanation on what is being covered up, Followed by a explanation of why and how they came to the conclusion on what is being covered up. If there is a image with a blurry mark. Anything could be under that mark. Why is the answer always a extre... shall I say "out of this world" answer.
edit on 9-3-2011 by LikeDuhObviously because: (no reason given)

top topics

join