It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GIANT FISSURE / CRACK opens in the ground! Seagi Gulistan ,PAKISTAN - March 2011

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This cannot happen unless the crust is being stretched. All of these cracks and sinkholes are very alarming.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It seems those men filming the crack/fissure were surprised, Wish we knew what they were talking about I'm guessing they had never seen anything like it before. S&F for you good find.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I read in another post that the earth is actually expanding.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's possible that groundwater being pumped out from Aquifers could cause this to happen.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Early on in the video they do appear to be walking on snow but later it looks as if they are walking on a rocky surface. I wish that the video was clearer and there was an up close shot of the interior of the crack.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
i blame the l.h.c

the experiments done in that are bound to have consequences.

the risks are higher than previously permitted and no one seems to be bothered.

welcome to the fourth dimension

public.web.cern.ch...

lol, who knows :p

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Volcanoes beginning as fissures is nothing new. Paricutin in Mexico is one such example www.paricutin.com... This volcano started as a crack in the ground and has now grown to be a 1,391ft peak.

Tectonically, as seen here in Pakistan similar forces played work in Ethiopia creating the 2005 fissure which ruptured literally overnight after a slight Earthquake. feww.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

That fissure seem to have quite a bit of erosion to have been created overnight (literally).
Please provide a source.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The Ethiopia fissure? considering it was mapped by a Geology team, with Camera-crew who happened to be in the area at the time I don't think there's any doubt to its origin. NASA satellites (before & after also proved its birth.)

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.sott.net...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Your source:

The team watched an 8m rift develop in the ground in just three weeks in the Afar desert region last September

news.bbc.co.uk...

I found a source. It didn't form overnight. It took a few weeks.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The fissure, now 13 feet (4 meters) wide, formed in just three weeks after a Sept. 14 earthquake in a barren region called Boina, about 275 miles (440 kilometers) northeast of the capital, Addis Ababa, said Dereje.

That wide view is helpful. It shows that there is a lot of such fissuring in the region.

It wasn't a single earthquake either.

Earthquake swarm. During September-4 October 2005, an earthquake swarm consisting of 131 events occurred at and immediately surrounding Dabbahu (figure 1 and table 1). The swarm was sudden and comparatively intense, with magnitudes ranging from body-wave magnitude (mb) 3.9 to 5.2. Instruments registered earthquakes of both the highest number and magnitude during 24-26 September, just prior to the 26 September eruption. Seismicity in the area declined sharply on 27 September and stopped on 4 October. According to another data set, earthquakes occurred in the region during the 5 years prior to this swarm at an average rate of ~ 12 per year.

www.volcano.si.edu...

edit on 3/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Everything you said just about wraps up my thoughts.

Dutchsinse's videos should be banned...that guy comes up with pure 100% crap.

And when a thread title says "GIANT FISSURE"...I'm expecting Grand Canyon type of crack...not this crap. I've seen bigger cracks at the beach...and not in the sand.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree with your views on this phage.

On November 3, 2002 we had the largest inland earthquake in Alaska for over 150 years. It measured approximately 7.9 with a surface magnitude of 8.5. I was in North Pole, Alaska when it hit and it was the largest earthquake I've ever experienced even though the epicenter was extremely far away. The aftershocks were extremely powerful as well.

The earthquake ruptured three different faults adding up to a total rupture length of 330 km.

The Richardson Highway was torn and offset 8.5 feet to one side(IMAGE HERE)

The displacement caused by the event was immense. Another Image HERE shows a scarp with displacement offset of 16 feet. Some of these cracks were up to 9 feet deep.

This is a good example of how a immense seismic event can cause immediate fracturing and displacement. This kind of displacement doesn't need days or weeks to form just depending on the various contributing factors.

However, if the fissure/crack in Pakistan was caused by the January 18th event I mentioned previously you would think someone would've noticed it earlier. Also, the rupture is located somewhere around 200 miles from the epicenter of that quake.

It is possible that the 7.2 quake in January could've affected other nearby faults. If that is the case and the rupture occured on that date or in the days/weeks afterwards it would've still been noticed earlier and documented. I'm not sure exactly how in-depth the USGS studies earthquakes in the Middle East but there certainly aren't any news stories about a crack/fissure in this area related to that quake and there isn't any documentation from the USGS about it either. That just means we don't know whether or not the January quake was the cause.

A "fracture" can be caused by an earthquake but that doesn't mean there has to be an earthquake to cause it. It simply means that geologic stresses over time can create one.

-ChriS

top topics

<< 1   >>

join