It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese think tank says Christianity is what made the West successful.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

I'm not even remotely close to Asian and I find that wholly offensive. This is an intellectual forum not a South Park episode. Keep the bigotry inside the trailer please.

As to the OPost, I can totally see why the study came to it's conclusions. I mean, they've fear-mongered us (I know what I'm talking about I was Roman Catholic raised ) psychologically, physically, emotionally and spiritually. It's no wonder the unthinking majority is just that.

I can understand your closed mindset toward Christianity if you were raised Roman Catholic...
...but Roman Catholicism is a religion and not truelly 'Christian' in the original sense.

If you want to see what I mean...
...go and read Paul's letter that he wrote specifically to the Roman church...
...and compare it to what the Roman church has become...
...the contrast is quite astounding...
...Roman Catholic Christianity is almost the mirror opposite of what Paul describes.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
All religion on this planet is fake and used to controll the SHEEP!! Christianty is probably the worst and should be eradicated along with all believers. I long for the day that we can feed you bastards to the lions again. You are the ones that have #ed up this planet!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durchlaucht
All religion on this planet is fake and used to controll the SHEEP!! Christianty is probably the worst and should be eradicated along with all believers. I long for the day that we can feed you bastards to the lions again. You are the ones that have #ed up this planet!!!

What has Christianity done to you personally?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

[

Christianity in China is growing.

Is it coincidental that as Christianity is in decline in the West...
...that its economic strength and innovation is also in decline?

Christianity is in decline in the West because the Last Generation of Christians are dying off - and there is no way on earth the young, educated people of today's West are going to buy "The Bible Story" as their parents and grandparents did.

Christianity is on the rise (so they say) in China because the Chinese Christians are naive, gullible, trained from youth To Obey without question, and all too often merely looking for 'business connections'. For modern Christian missionaries in China its like shooting fish in a barrel.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

While I agree with your first sentence, you are so off the mark on the rest. The believers are the victims, they are the ones sold a lie, they are the ones forced to believe or practice it, especially in some of the smaller sects. It is the leaders who are responsible, those who know full well that their religion is a lie yet still enforce it on others. And personally, I would not feed them to the lions, the lions deserve better.

As for screwing up the planet, I think humans worldwide, regardless of ethnicity or beliefs have played their part. It usually comes down to greed, not religion.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I disagree. America and "the west" are successful because we have all learned how to set aside our old, divided and isolated cultures and work together for the common good. This is what results in a degree of freedom equal to the task. Religion is a part of culture which was long recognized as being hostile to any kind of "oneness" in society because it insisted that any "oneness" could only come through it's precepts. So what I say is that America and "the west" are preeminent in spite of religion rather than because of it.

In addition I will say once again that we have no official religion in this country. That means that Christianity can make a claim for being the most widespread religion in America and Europe but that's all. All the moral and ethical codes in Christianity are really from Judaism and date to centuries before anyone ever heard of Christianity.

If America is based upon any religious code then that religion is Judaism, not Christianity. Notice how the Jews never rise up in indignation claiming all the same things that Christians do? This is Jews know how to live their religion without insisting that everyone else do the same. Christians continually tell us that we all are really Christians whether we like it or not. When Christians get involved in politics they are almost always demanding, inhospitable and obnoxious. This is why they are so widely disliked today.

Further I do not believe that the topic statement is genuine. China does all that it can to discourage religion and would never allow such a study to sound like it is promoting religion. I don't believe it. I think it was originated by some activist Christians somewhere in an attempt to mislead the gullible.
edit on 9-3-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Totally disagree

The advancement come from scientific advances with the majority being none Christian /religious

Christianity was the base of which the west successfulness come from, its not the reason its successful tho

IMO

Christianity made the west conquer and gain more lands, the west at this time was very much a divided place, the first & second world war bought about a much more united west with a very clear message of this should never happen again and differences was shelved for good, it was this united western world & the slow dropping of the religion that bought about the scientific advancements so in a way you could argue Christianity was the first stepping stone for the success, but i feel there are many factors that come into play here and you certainly can not pin it on just one thing...

Religion in any case will only divide, sorry i mean multiple religions
edit on 9-3-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
While I agree with your first sentence, you are so off the mark on the rest. The believers are the victims, they are the ones sold a lie, they are the ones forced to believe or practice it, especially in some of the smaller sects. It is the leaders who are responsible, those who know full well that their religion is a lie yet still enforce it on others. And personally, I would not feed them to the lions, the lions deserve better.

As for screwing up the planet, I think humans worldwide, regardless of ethnicity or beliefs have played their part. It usually comes down to greed, not religion.

The sad thing is that you are fulfilling prophecy with almost the same words as predicted...
...and you don't even realize it...amazing.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

The saddest thing is that you and your ilk are self-fulfilling your own prophecies! That is the sad and "amazing" part.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

The saddest thing is that you and your ilk are self-fulfilling your own prophecies! That is the sad and "amazing" part.

Why are you so knarled and twisted about Christianity...
...what happened to you?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
How am I fulfilling prophecy? You do realise that the majority of "prophecies" made warning against people like me, were nothing more than a defense mechanism, because they knew what they were teaching is a load of crap and not everyone would fall for it?

I am not fulfilling any prophecy because it is invalid and nothing more than a control system.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

...what happened to you?

So because I dont agree with your beliefs I am "knarled and twisted"? But if I were to say the same thig to you because of your beliefs you would be the first to be offended.......classic!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

...what happened to you?

So because I dont agree with your beliefs I am "knarled and twisted"? But if I were to say the same thig to you because of your beliefs you would be the first to be offended.......classic!!

I am not the tne one wanting to persecute people I don't agree with...you are...
...I just want to know why...
...poor potty training, dominant father, interfered with by a priest...
...bullied by a RC kid at school...
...your rage has to be coming from somewhere...
...I am just curious.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

...what happened to you?

I am not the tne one wanting to persecute people I don't agree with...you are...
...I am just curious.

I fail to see where I have "rage". I am simply giving some of your churchs BS back! For ages we have sat by and been spit on and cast aside as second class if we didn't walk like you, talk like you, act like you, dress like, live like you and most importantly believe as you do. Your kind is on the loosing end and it is about time!! Now, dont you have a rapture to get to??

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

...what happened to you?

...I am just curious.

I fail to see where I have "rage". I am simply giving some of your churchs BS back! For ages we have sat by and been spit on and cast aside as second class if we didn't walk like you, talk like you, act like you, dress like, live like you and most importantly believe as you do. Your kind is on the loosing end and it is about time!! Now, dont you have a rapture to get to??

To be fair, your initial post was full of rage, I could see that. Take your rage out on the leaders by all means but remember that most christians are victims. The simple fact is, that the majority of people of all religions just want to be allowed to live their life the way they think is best for them, like everyone does. Only a minority enforce their beliefs on others.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

I don't have a 'church'...
...I am a Christian but I am not religious...
...I have not been inside a church building (except for weddings and funerals) for more than 30 years...
...I have never made demands on how anyone should behave or present themselves...
...oh and I don't believe in 'the rapture' or even hell...
...but I am a Christian and I know the Spirit...
...and I would still like to know why you are so angry.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_

...what happened to you?

...I am just curious.

To be fair, your initial post was full of rage, I could see that. Take your rage out on the leaders by all means but remember that most christians are victims. The simple fact is, that the majority of people of all religions just want to be allowed to live their life the way they think is best for them, like everyone does. Only a minority enforce their beliefs on others.

Sorry, but I have earned my furry towards their religion. I disagree with you when the followers also believe that they are so corect in their beliefes that they feel they have the right to treat others badly. They are ultimatley responsible for their own actions. If someone holds a gun to your head and tells you to shoot someone, you know that is wrong. I fail to see how holding a bible to someones head and saying the same thing is any different.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Durchlaucht

If you would like some further reading a friend recommended this book...

The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success.
...author Rodney Stark.

www.amazon.com...

A example review...

"Stark argues, Europe's primacy in economic, political, and social progress was due to its embrace of Christianity, which opened a space for reason and hence science-driven technology. Emphasizing the connection between medieval scholasticism, with its notion of theological progress--the logical science of thinking one's way closer to God--and Renaissance capitalism, Stark maintains that Christianity alone embraced reason and logic, and this gave Christian regions a tactical advantage in developing commerce. An argument made with unavoidably broad strokes, its actual targets are Max Weber's notion of the Protestant work ethic and the conventional story that religion was a barrier to be overcome en route to progress. At times approaching the invective, its defiant tone will invigorate readers who feel religion's place in the trajectory of world history is under attack. But the theological side of Stark's argument--that Christianity is fraternally bound to reason--will challenge the very same readers to reexamine their own relationship with reason."

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

I don't have a 'church'...
...I am a Christian but I am not religious...
...I have not been inside a church building (except for weddings and funerals) for more than 30 years...
...I have never made demands on how anyone should behave or present themselves...
...oh and I don't believe in 'the rapture' or even hell...
...but I am a Christian and I know the Spirit...
...and I would still like to know why you are so angry.

My sincerest appologies to you for making blanket statements that probably do not apply to you. Yes I have quite a bit of anger right now towards all religion and maybe I should find a more constructive way of dealing with it. I really am sorry for attacking you personally as I dont know you or anything about you just as I know there is no way for you to know my situation as well. I was raised Christian, in a very famous family and not so common a situation. It is hard to live in exile because of things that were not my choice or because of loving someone.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Sorry, but I have earned my furry towards their religion. I disagree with you when the followers also believe that they are so corect in their beliefes that they feel they have the right to treat others badly. They are ultimatley responsible for their own actions. If someone holds a gun to your head and tells you to shoot someone, you know that is wrong. I fail to see how holding a bible to someones head and saying the same thing is any different.

Theres no need to aplogise. I understand what you are saying, I have been there myself and still am to a degree, but this rage will ease off. I do agree that people are responsible for their actions but they are doing something they are programmed to believe is right, and are programmed to reject common sense, more than likely from birth by other programmed people.

It is their leaders and those amongst them that continue the charade even though they know what they are doing is wrong who the ultimate responsibility must fall upon, like the person putting a gun to someones head and forcing them to do something bad. It will take a VERY strong (or suicidal) person to say no. Survival is a very powerful instinct in humans.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join