It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

i think it is going to be us that is sweating , after this weather we are already having food crop issues and if this happens with texas we are going to be out a lot of meat and milk .maybe other states will join texas and start there own trade agreement.
edit on 7-3-2011 by GullibleUnderlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

. . .

09. Two years. Key words in that post.

Funny thing. You said every two years.

I said is not happened in quite awhile. It was proposed but not brought before the legislature in 2009.

When you leave out federal funds for roads and disasters, you know like the disasters I mentioned. I guess I am missing your actual rebuttal to that. Again, it would have helped a great deal to have read my post.

Follow the link I gave you. It says

--Each year the Census Bureau releases the Consolidated Federal Funds Report, which estimates the amount of federal spending in each state and territory during the prior fiscal year. The latest report allocates approximately 92 percent of total FY 2005 federal spending. The 8 percent not allocated includes net interest outlays, foreign aid, and other outlays that are not allocable to the states. For the purposes of this report, the Tax Foundation uses this census data as is.--

Answers your questions, if you bother to read.

What is your point? 13 disasters in the last decade they have gone crawling to the federal government to get bailed out on. Your response does exactly what to rebut that?

Yeah . . . it is called getting the rest of our money back.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

You have to remember one thing about Texas: Texas has the Right to Seceed as they were an independant Republic before they joined the United States, one big difference from the rest of the states.
They also do this every once in a while just to stir up the people in Austin and let them know the natives are getting restless.

I stand corected!

Article 1, Section 1 of the Texas Constitution states that "Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States..."

Neither the Texas Constitution, nor the Constitution of the united States, explicitly or implicitly disallows the secession of Texas (or any other "free and independent State") from the United States. Joining the "Union" was ever and always voluntary, rendering voluntary withdrawal an equally lawful and viable option (regardless of what any self-appointed academic, media, or government "experts"—including Abraham Lincoln himself—may have ever said).

It's no secret that more than once there had been previous rumblings about secession among many U.S. states (and not just in the South), long before the South seceded. These rumblings met with no preemptive quashing of the notion from a "constitutional" argument, precisely because there was (and is) no constitutional basis for either allowing or prohibiting secession.

www.texassecede.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

. . .
But cut of their mail, internet and let em sweat for a bit.

Awesome.

We will keep our cows, sheep, goats, cotton, cereal crops, 1/3 of US oil, and all of our electricity that we give/sell to other states..

I am sure Texas can connect to internet without the help of the US, considering one of the US's main information corridors goes through Dallas.

Tech in Texas is second in the US only to SIlicon Valley.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Congratulations! It's all filled up and a PRE-PAID One-way. Woohoo!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0014d6d5fc5.jpg[/atsimg]

Oh and don't forget to take the Alamo, remember?

No offense to a few fine 'Texan Exceptions' on this site. Most notably whaaa and Big Fat Furry one, plus any others I missed.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
In Rick Perry We Trust.

NOT!

Keep on believing the hype. The politicians in Texas are no different than the ones in Washington. They all wine and dine together and uphold the party's platform.

Not all of them. Just the big named ones, including (yech) Perry.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
"I am really going to leave you this time and I am not coming back again. I really mean it this time. I am serious. Do not even try to get me to stay. I am really leaving. This is not just an empty threat like it always has been in the past. I am serious. I am leaving. I got my bags packed. I am..."

Oh Texas, you drama queen. You have your 10th amendment and your cattle farms. No one is holding your hand. Bye. If you are going to go, go. Otherwise stop whining.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Funny thing. You said every two years.

I said is not happened in quite awhile. It was proposed but not brought before the legislature in 2009.

I said nothing about proposals being brought before the legislature. I am glad you could find some stipulation under which your "correction" might make sense but you have to go back and change what I actually wrote in order make it work and I am not sure you can do that. This gets a little old every 2 years. When did it come up last? 1 year 11 months ago.
Again, reading would help.

Follow the link I gave you. It says

--Each year the Census Bureau releases the Consolidated Federal Funds Report, which estimates the amount of federal spending in each state and territory during the prior fiscal year. The latest report allocates approximately 92 percent of total FY 2005 federal spending. The 8 percent not allocated includes net interest outlays, foreign aid, and other outlays that are not allocable to the states. For the purposes of this report, the Tax Foundation uses this census data as is.--

Answers your questions, if you bother to read.

Actually I read it and it still does nothing to address the disaster funds I spoke of. Maybe you are just randomly responding to ideas you hoped to argue against?

There must be a reason you have to leave that part out.

Yeah . . . it is called getting the rest of our money back.

Ah, empty, pointless, devoid of fact sarcasm. Good argument.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
Look, I am not in favor of this Bill and there are a lot of things in Texas I have issues with. But to say good riddance to the second largest economic state in the union is not a good thing. 5 of the top fortune 500 companies reside in Texas, and it has 57 over all tied with Cali. And it has the second largest work force in the country. With a gross state product of 1.227 trillion dollars it would be a huge blow to the United States if they leave.

We have 58 of the top fortune 500 companies residing/headquarters in Texas, not 5.

Go here for more information on who they are:

www.buyandhold.com...
edit on 3/7/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

So what? Do you not think those companies would move if all of a sudden they didn't have any ability to trade with the world? Please, be realistic. If Texas Seceded from the Union (god we can only hope) Texas wouldn't automatically be recognized as a country by the world. So no one would trade with them. Those companies, instead of loosing billions in the transition would simply move to some other state in the United States and keep going.

Not to mention that the second that the US pulled all assets out of Texas Mexico along with several other foreign countries would invade.

Oh it would be a wonderful sight to see that state leave.

Just make sure to take Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich, and FOX News with you when you go.
edit on 3/7/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Ummmm. Not sure how to tell you this but.......

Hint: If Texas (cough) secedes, they'd no longer be in Top 500 of American companies.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I did not state that I was in favor of secession, only correcting an error in Golithion's post regarding the number of fortune 500 countries within our state; although imo, we are one of the few states that could possibly do so and be self sustaining.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Im not really sure how the Federal Government would respond, considering Texas may have the largest onshore natural gas field. The Barnett Shale.Barnett Shale

The Barnett Shale is a geological formation located in the Bend Arch-Fort Worth Basin. It consists of sedimentary rocks of Mississippian age (354–323 million years ago) in Texas. The formation underlies the city of Fort Worth and underlies 5,000 square miles (13,000 km2) and at least 17 counties.

Some experts have suggested the Barnett Shale may have the largest producible reserves of any onshore natural gas field in the United States.[1] The field is proven to have 2.5 trillion cubic feet (7.1×1010 m3) of natural gas, and is widely estimated to contain as much as 30 trillion cubic feet (8.5×1011 m3) of natural gas resources.[1] Oil also has been found in lesser quantities, but sufficient (with recent high oil prices) to be commercially viable.

Maybe the Feds would pull another Iraq on us, since we do have some oil.

Anyways, I find it highly doubtful that Texas would end up succeding from the United States.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Again?

*Yawn*

Sorry for the short post, but don't they threaten this every time a Democrat is President?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
And to all those rich Texans that have second homes in Colorado, Taos, Santa Fe, Ruidoso and Red River....you're gonna need a visa....

edit on 7-3-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Frag that! If Texas Secedes from the Union those homes should be burned to the ground. Can't have homes of Traitors on our sovereign soil. And forget Visas, if Texas leaves the very next day Congress needs to pass a law completely barring entry into the United States under any reason to anyone from Texas.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera
Again?

*Yawn*

Sorry for the short post, but don't they threaten this every time a Democrat is President?

Guess you "forgot" that Lyndon Johnson, our 36th President, was a Democrat....and was a native Texan.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
if that passes i think more will do this arizona would be next i think
what would the federal goverment do?

what would the feds do ???

crap their pants !!!

lol

if this does pass, then I will
seriously consider moving to Texas.
I do have extended family there already

best wishes Texas

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
the only way texas would leave would be if other states found a way to join them. i've always thought the country would break into 4 or 5 countries one day. our system dictates that we are too big for these times. it would be the only way power would be removed from big brother. but then again other countries would probably come looking for their cash out from us if this happened.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Reply to post by whatukno

Your founding father's were traitors.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join