It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
reply to post by kinda kurious

Why would you want to boycott Texas? Why not boycott the U.S. federal government?

If Texas reserves the right to secede, then I reserve the right to Boycott the state to protest. 'Nuff said. I don't really need a better reason. Especially given this is a fairy tale, Like Munchkinland seceding from Oz.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

edit on 9-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

SG,
I can't stand Perry, and I agree with much of what you write.
BUT, Perry is a STATE governor. Not someone charged with prosecuting or leading a prosecution team against Bush, or ANY president.
Yes, he supported Bush, he is a politician.
This is not about Perry. This is about a bill filed by a representative that has a lot of Texans behind him. My point was about boycotting Texas over an act by a representative with popular support.
I still ask, WHY?
Do you have an answer?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

KK,
who owns you? Of course, YOU have the right to boycott Texas. Or, your mother. Or Stewie.
Let me put this in all caps...
I DON'T HAVE TO RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SECEDE,
or, boycott an oppressive and criminal foreign corporation that has taken over what used to be the U.S. federal government.
Simple enough? Happy being a slave that thinks rights are granted?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
I never said I did not have doubts.

I am excited that this is starting to roll. I am excited that the movement is growing and has over 1 million signatures on the petition.

So, do you have a time limit of Texas secession? How long do you believe it will be before Texas seceeds?

I wonder that too SG...

I do hope they snap to it,

Remember the Succession!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Reply to post by Southern Guardian

Lemme ask my crystal ball.

lol

Before 2020.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Southern Guardian

SG,
I can't stand Perry, and I agree with much of what you write.
BUT, Perry is a STATE governor. Not someone charged with prosecuting or leading a prosecution team against Bush, or ANY president.

It doesnt change the fact that he and many of his fellow texan representitives supported the Bush doctrine. That is the point. If Texas wants to seceed on the basis of the federal government overstepping constitutional boundaries with virtually the same stategovernment intact as the one they had for the last 10 years, it is hypocrisy.

Again I am not arguing about Perry and his state governments inability to charge Bush with crimes, i am arguing about their support and silence over the acts committed by the Bush administration, and then they want to turn around and call for secession for the very same reason. It is hypocritical, the hypocrisy is what I am trying to get through to you here.

This is not about Perry. This is about a bill filed by a representative that has a lot of Texans behind him.

This is not about Perry, yet it involves him and he has been the leading figure behind it? Right? And as I said, Bush had majority support from Texans for some time so yes, I find it hypocritical that so many Texans are calling for secession. They happily passed on Texas's electoral points in 2000 and 2004, and now they want to pack their bags and leave because there is a new administration in place for the federal government, virtually not that much different. Yep.

Now, can Texas get it done and over with and leave already? Time is a wasting!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

lol

Before 2020.

Oh yes ok, so this is all an 8year plan before secession leaves, and by that time, when the Union is still around, conveniently you would have forgotten about it. Right.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

KK,
who owns you? Of course, YOU have the right to boycott Texas. Or, your mother. Or Stewie.
Let me put this in all caps...
I DON'T HAVE TO RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SECEDE,
or, boycott an oppressive and criminal foreign corporation that has taken over what used to be the U.S. federal government.
Simple enough? Happy being a slave that thinks rights are granted?

Firstly:

Q: Did the terms of Texas's admission to the Union include permission to withdraw if it found statehood not to its liking?

In fact, Texas received no special terms in its admission to the Union. Once Texas had agreed to join the Union, she never had the legal option of leaving, either before or after the Civil War.

TEXAS STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES

Secondly: You are not and I repeat NOT ever to mention a family member while debating me. Especially one that may or may not be living. We clear on that?

edit on 9-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

I've no problem with you boycotting Texas - that's an individual choice, not a government mandate... yet. In the same way, I boycott Union made goods currently. I've not noticed much effect on the Unions, but I do it all the same. We're all pretty happy with it, and no one is getting shot at over it, so it works for us - "us" being myself AND the Unions. They hardly even notice my failure to contribute...

If you listen or watch any TV, Movies, Radio even WWW. We are there...

www.aftra.org...
www.sag.org...

Even Rush and Sean are AFTRA so it's pretty much impossible for you to completely boycott union stuff.

edit on 9-3-2011 by whaaa because: code ii

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

If Texas goes independent, I might just have to move there.

Go Texans!!! You may be the last repository of real democracy on this continent.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I may be Canadian, but as far as i know states are not able to succeed.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, INDIVISIBLE, with liberty and justice for all".

Pretty sure that military intervention would be the order of the day.

From reading the article though its more of a "hey texas is angry do something about it"

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chindogu
I may be Canadian, but as far as i know states are not able to succeed.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, INDIVISIBLE, with liberty and justice for all".

Pretty sure that military intervention would be the order of the day.

From reading the article though its more of a "hey texas is angry do something about it"

That same pledge says "under God" yet they can't legally enforce that. It's just a silly thing they make grade-schoolers say. Also, to have liberty and justice for all, you have to allow secession which would conflict with "indivisible".

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chindogu

That is exactly what it is right there and nothing more. It is a bluff and unfortunately a very very weak one because it basically admits it has no intention of having any intention with its beinng and unbinding resolution and all. Even many of the people in this very thread that support it, know full well it is just a bluff in order to try to trick the US into playing nicer. Because you have to remember, Texas is hardcore. They get what they want by threatening to go away. It has been doing wonders so far.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chindogu

This has already been proven wrong by both the US Constitution and the Texas Constitution.

The US Constitution is the law of the land, not the pledge of allegiance.

The Constitution makes no mention of secession.

Therefore, it defaults to the 10th Amendment:

--The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.--

The Texas Constitution says:

--Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States, and the maintenance of our free institutions and the perpetuity of the Union depend upon the preservation of the right of local self-government, unimpaired to all the States.

All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit. The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient.

. . .

To guard against transgressions of the high powers herein delegated, we declare that everything in this "Bill of Rights" is excepted out of the general powers of government, and shall forever remain inviolate, and all laws contrary thereto, or to the following provisions, shall be void.--

Do you disagree with the facts that I have presented, and if so, why?

edit on 3/10/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

lol

Before 2020.

Oh yes ok, so this is all an 8year plan before secession leaves, and by that time, when the Union is still around, conveniently you would have forgotten about it. Right.

And again . . .

How long did SC take before the first time secession was voted on before the civil war?

What is with you guys wanting everything now!?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I've no problem with you boycotting Texas - that's an individual choice, not a government mandate... yet. In the same way, I boycott Union made goods currently. I've not noticed much effect on the Unions, but I do it all the same. We're all pretty happy with it, and no one is getting shot at over it, so it works for us - "us" being myself AND the Unions. They hardly even notice my failure to contribute...

If you listen or watch any TV, Movies, Radio even WWW. We are there...

www.aftra.org...
www.sag.org...

Even Rush and Sean are AFTRA so it's pretty much impossible for you to completely boycott union stuff.

I do none of the above other than the WWW, and I don't buy anything off of that. That reluctance started out as a reticence to send financial info over the wire, but it's worked out pretty well in other areas, too, so I can't complain. Pretty much, if I can't walk down to the bodega on the corner and buy in person, I just hang on to my money.

I don't drive, or even have a driver's license any more (gave 'em back to the State when they started that NAU seal business on the back of 'em), so I incur none of the expenses associated with that, like vehicle purchases, upkeep, insurance, all that mess.

Even back when I DID watch TV and listen to radio, I detested both Rush and Sean for their showboat politics, and never listened to or watched them any longer than it took me to determine that. They're all hollering with no substance or educational value whatsoever. To me, they represent the epitome of the mindless towing of a party-line that swept the neocon takeover of the Republican party in, and I want nothing to do with that.

That's also why I left the Republicans several years ago, and have not looked back.

I DO look for Union labels on any purchases I do make, and if I find one, I find an alternative product, or do without.

You're probably right, I probably CAN'T avoid Union made products altogether, but I go above and beyond to seek that ideal goal.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Thanks for the clarification. At least you put your money where your mouth is.....

However there are some great movies and TV shows out there and I feel privileged to have participated; in front of or behind the camera, above or below the line.

You do realize of course the man in your avatar is a SAG/AFTRA union member? Did you see "300"

Frank Miller did an amazing job. It was an honor and a privilege to have worked for him.

edit on 10-3-2011 by whaaa because: still code ii

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

And again . . .

How long did SC take before the first time secession was voted on before the civil war?

What is with you guys wanting everything now!?

It's an instant gratification sort of society we find ourselves living in. Has been for several years. That's one of the mechanisms used to control it. Folks want what they want, and they want it RIGHT NOW! As long as the corporations, (or the illuminati, or the NWO, or TPTB, whoever "they" are in the mind of any given individual) can produce those instant results, they can control that individual, like giving a baby it's bottle to get it to stop crying...

As a result, a pacified society has gotten used to that instant out - dole, and expects that to be the norm for everything. For the most part, this society no longer has the resolve, the foresight, or the fortitude to work towards any goals beyond "this instant".

The future belongs to those who still CAN.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

reply to post by nenothtu

Thanks for the clarification. At least you put your money where your mouth is.....

However there are some great movies and TV shows out there and I feel privileged to have participated; in front of or behind the camera, above or below the line.

My money stays in my wallet, which hangs off of my... oh no, you DIDN'T go there, did you?

I'm sure there are some great shows out, and most likely I'd be upset if I knew that I'd missed 'em, but usually I don't even know what I'm missing, so I don't "miss" it much. Occasionally, someone will mention this or that show in passing, and I have a "what's that?" moment, which I'm sure adds to the general amusement levels...

It's not easy being the "crazy old guy" on the block!

Now, to be really honest, I've not seen the levels of violence out of SAG and AFTRA that I have out of,for example, the UMWA, the Teamsters, AFL-CIO, and SEIU. I didn't stop buying movies and such over the Unions, I stopped that over the greed displayed by the production companies and the distributors. The fact that Unions are also boycotted there is purely incidental.

See, I try to be equally disagreeable to everyone. As far as I'm concerned, anyone trying to pick my pockets by inflating price beyond "value" (which "value" is sort of subjective - might be different for me than it is for you in any given area) is fair game to meet up with the lock on my wallet. My gripe with Unions isn't over them trying to squeeze more money out of their employers - who doesn't? - it's over what I've seen first hand of the violence they're willing to employ to impose that. First hand, I've seen it from the UMWA, the Teamsters, and SEIU, and only have second-hand reports from the AFL-CIO, which to my understanding is just a blanket organization of other unions, an "uber union", the al Qaida of collective bargaining.

Now for all those Unions that would have to re-negotiate contracts in the Republic of Texas, I say go for it, but lay off the violence. There are better ways, and Texans aren't really strangers to violence, so they might be prone to handle it, perhaps to the detriment of all. The UMWA Union Wars that occurred every 3 years or so in the Appalachian Coalfields are where I first got acquainted with violence - neither for the Union nor for the Company, but as a bystander just trying to survive it. See, hillbillies aren't strangers to violence, either, so I have an inkling of what Unions would be up against in the Republic of Texas if they insisted on going that route.

Roughly 2 percent of the US population are Union members (something just over 7 million) and roughly 2 percent are on the other side of those battles, leaving 96% of us stuck in the middle, just trying to dodge the crossfire. When both sides of that equation can pick their targets better, I may adjust my own attitude accordingly. As long as I'm subject to the ambushes just for traveling a particular road as a bystander, I'll fight back with whatever means I have to hand at the time to fight.

Until then, they can go ahead and get as violent as they like in Texas, I'll just pop some popcorn and watch from the outside. All I'm saying is that there are better ways than what some of these Unions employ, and the ones who employ those means make it rough on all, give the rest a bad association. If they're able to learn the errors in their ways anywhere, it would likely be in an independent Texas, where that sort of shennanigan might not be met too kindly.

Edit to add:

You do realize of course the man in your avatar is a SAG/AFTRA union member? Did you see "300"
Frank Miller did an amazing job. It was an honor and a privilege to have worked for him.

I never saw the movie. I stopped going to theaters at 6 bucks ticket, plus expenses, which was some time ago. I've seen clips on the internet of that particular scene, which is pretty much all I know of the movie, although I'm familiar with the history of the events at Thermopylae.

I seem to recall hearing that Frank Miller wrote comic books or something, so I reckon he's not the actor.

I wouldn't know the actor there, or Frank Miller either, if they bit me. Of course, if they bit me, I'd probably GET to know them, post haste!

edit on 2011/3/10 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I never saw the movie. I stopped going to theaters at 6 bucks ticket, plus expenses, which was some time ago. I've seen clips on the internet of that particular scene, which is pretty much all I know of the movie, although I'm familiar with the history of the events at Thermopylae.

I seem to recall hearing that Frank Miller wrote comic books or something, so I reckon he's not the actor.

I wouldn't know the actor there, or Frank Miller either, if they bit me. Of course, if they bit me, I'd probably GET to know them, post haste!

I am the only one puzzled by someone choosing an Avatar image depiction a person in a
Movie they know absolutely NOTHING about?
It strikes me as another 'dodge' by someone who enjoys movable goal posts.

BTW, mine is an image from the 50's by NASA studying shape of human head for Apollo helmet research, It seems like 'Zebra Man" art but it isn't. I feel it is incumbent on me to know the back story of all my ATS vanity plates. Just sayin.'

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join