It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
I didn't read through all 15 pages so I'll just give my overall opinion of a Texas independence. In a nutshell, I totally support it. I'm not a fan of Texas but I'm all for any state willing to be self sustaining. In fact, the Republic of Cascadia (where I live) was voted by Time Magazine as one of the top upstart nations in the world. We just need some crazy ass rebels like the Texans to pave the way so the rest of us can follow suit.

Don't get me wrong, I still want the USA to exist but it should be in a capacity similar to the EU. States (or groups of them) should have their own sovereignty if the wish to.

Again, thanks for the input and as always, the suggestions from foreigners as to how the US and the States should be run does and should fall on deaf ears.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by ripcontrol

Obama cant " crush ' anything? Where you came up with that i dunno? 10th Amendment allows for States to take actions it feels necessary to protect its citizenry. Especially if the Feds aren't doing the job they were sworn to do. Texas is well within their rights authorized by the Constitution.
edit on 8-3-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

Emphasis mine.

Then go already.

Sitting her yammering on about how Texas has every right to do this and it is the right thing to do makes sense how? Why is it not done yet? Either your case is rock solid and this is goodbye, or this entire thread is a bunch of hooey.

Maybe I am wrong. Is Texas still a state?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

--A little over a month after becoming president, Johnson began executing his plan for reconstructing the South. Johnson pardoned all rebels except Confederate leaders. He also restored all rebel property except for slaves. Finally, he authorized each rebel state to call a convention of white delegates to draw up a new constitution. Once completed, a new state government could then be formed, and the state could apply for readmission to the Union.
Link --

--By the end of 1865 every state had fulfilled Johnson’s demands for readmission except Texas, but when the Thirty-Ninth Congress met, Edward McPherson, Clerk of the House, did not call the names of the southern congressmen when he took the roll. Congress refused to readmit the states under Johnson’s plan. On December 13, 1865, both houses of Congress created the Joint Committee on Reconstruction to investigate conditions in the South and to determine if Congress had to accept the newly elected representative from southern states under Johnson’s plan

Link

--"The swing around the circle." With Congress demanding that Southern states ratify the Fourteenth Amendment in order to gain re-admittance to the legislature

Link--

edit on 3/9/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by theyhavemywife
I don't see how this is even plausible. We need to focus on making our country a better place, not how we can tear it apart. We are the most powerful country in the world and by passing this bill, it would only lead us backwards as well as inspire the nation's uneducated, intolerant, anarchists, and separatists to keep blabbing their mouths away with libel and ignorance.

This bears repeating as apparently all the big bad brave Texans that cannot wait to say they are leaving do not seem to have what it takes to actually stick around and improve things. Stay and improve things or cut and run? Interesting what some people are proud of here.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Originally posted by theyhavemywife
I don't see how this is even plausible. We need to focus on making our country a better place, not how we can tear it apart. We are the most powerful country in the world and by passing this bill, it would only lead us backwards as well as inspire the nation's uneducated, intolerant, anarchists, and separatists to keep blabbing their mouths away with libel and ignorance.

This bears repeating as apparently all the big bad brave Texans that cannot wait to say they are leaving do not seem to have what it takes to actually stick around and improve things. Stay and improve things or cut and run? Interesting what some people are proud of here.

Some people are just tired of beating their head into the wall.
Some people can see the writing on the wall and want to get out before it all really goes to pot.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

. . .

No military.

Oh Really?

No access to major shipping corridors.

land corridors or gateways? You don't say!

No federal relief for the next drought, hurricaine, tornado, swine flu outbreak.

Cool. Texas will have enough without sending it's money to the federal government, and then having to beg for some of it back.

Texas should be ripe for the picking.

umm . . . Come and Take IT!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hey Texas, if you do this may I come live there?

I promise, I will not burden you because I am capable and willing to be responsible for my own actions and does not need anyone to take care of me.

Can I come there? Please?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

reply to post by MindSpin

nah, Texas has a motto...if you kill somebody, they will kill you back!

You seem really confused.

I take it, the tree of liberty bares no relevance in your eyes of freedom?

But you go on, page after page...

Your argument would have merit, if it wasnt for that darned ol paper thingy called the Constitution that strictly prevents the use of military forces against its own statesmen. More specifically, the Posse Comitatus Act.

Nope, re-read the 10th. Further take a moment to re-read the Constitution. The last time I checked, the Constitution and the BOR were still the law of the land. By adhering to the writings within, there is no law broken, further no grounds for " insurrection" claims.

So big bad Texans not only will, but are practically duty bound to take up arms against the federal government but the federal government, with all its military, is going to just stand down on a technicality.

There is a difference between maintaining more than one thought and maintaining completely contradictory concepts.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Bush would be proud of you. Stay the course!

As for being cowardly . . . self preservation is the farthest thing from cowardice.

Furthermore . . .

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these states; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. (italicized word has been changed to suit the present time.)

So . . . our founding fathers were cowards, according to you. They just cut and run, instead of trying to work with the tyrannical system

And for the cherry on top, from the Texas Constitution:

All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit. The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient.

edit on 3/9/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Since I had suggested the Right of the State, Constitutionally speaking, that the states rights allow a secession. You " yammering over there " that they need to get on with it, is constructive how?

Your case,

or this entire thread is a bunch of hooey.

With no evidence that would contradict the Constitutionality of the Rights of Texas, would suggest that you are " Hooey ".

Add to post edit: My main focus on this thread, has been the Right of the State, within the Constitution, and in conjunction of the BOR. And your evidence is where?....that is not the right of the State? I just see emotionally based comments backed by no sound evidence? Just your own thoughts, though as misguided as they seem.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
You don't know Texans. lol

Just go to Fiesta Texas and watch the audience at the laser show . . . and that is just a small sampling.

Not saying Texans are not proud to be Americans. The pride is on about an equal level.

You seem to be assuming all the military personell in Texas are actually Texans. How many are stationed there but come from other states? I know quite a few people that have been stationed in Texas for various reasons. These are people that still have friends, family, and homes back in the US. Does it really seem plausible that Joe Smith from Ohio will take up arms against his home nation - where his friends and family still live - just because he is currently stationed in Texas?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Reply to post by Janky Red

So, in other words, as with all the other trolls in this thread, you are talking out of your ass with no facts to back it up.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Who is talking from their backside? Surely not the posters who keep saying Texas has the right to leave, should leave, and they want to go with it yet are all still here just saying it. Obviously you all mean exactly what you say, you just need to keep saying it for a while.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Yes, because obviously Texas has expansionist tendencies. National Security.

I am curious how the great Nation of Texas would respond to 19 terrorists flying planes into their buildings and causing 9/11 levels of death and property damage. I am not even sure how Texas plans to protect itself from Mexico. They keep whining that the federal government will not protect their borders for them. How are they going to protect their own borders, especially when they have 4 times the border to protect and no military and a National Guard minus its current federal funding?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

You seem to be assuming all the military personell in Texas are actually Texans.How many are stationed there but come from other states? I know quite a few people that have been stationed in Texas for various reasons. These are people that still have friends, family, and homes back in the US. Does it really seem plausible that Joe Smith from Ohio will take up arms against his home nation - where his friends and family still live - just because he is currently stationed in Texas?

The Texas military is made up of a majority of Texans, seeing as how they have to travel to training at least once a moth. It is the same with other states. Sure, there are a few non-Texans, but the majority of Guardsmen in Texas, are Texans.

Being stationed (active duty) is not the same as being a member of the Texas Guard.

Remember. They are, as a whole, one unit. The National Guard. They are split up into 50 smaller units called the (State Name) National Guard.

You are trying to to say that Wisconsin National Guard is Texas National Guard (for example). They are separate entities that are part of a country wide system.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Who is talking from their backside? Surely not the posters who keep saying Texas has the right to leave, should leave, and they want to go with it yet are all still here just saying it. Obviously you all mean exactly what you say, you just need to keep saying it for a while.

Patience is a virtue, which you obviously don't have.

But keep trollin' the interwebs.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I am curious how the great Nation of Texas would respond to 19 terrorists flying planes into their buildings and causing 9/11 levels of death and property damage.

Because the "terrorists" hate Texas because of its interference in global affairs. Yes?

I am not even sure how Texas plans to protect itself from Mexico.

There are these things called weapons. You use them to protect your life, liberty, and property.

They keep whining that the federal government will not protect their borders for them. How are they going to protect their own borders, especially when they have 4 times the border to protect and no military and a National Guard minus its current federal funding?

That has been proven false in this thread.

Thanks for trying, Synnthia.

You get to join the egg on the face club

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Reply to post by Sinnthia

Deer is meh. But I will eat it. I dislike elk and caribou though. Yech

Rabbit, squirrel, snake, etc. All good.

edit on 3/8/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

Good for you!

I am not sure what your point is.

Enjoy your roadkill by all means. Anyone that is sitting around dreaming of a life full of squirrel meat is more than welcome to it. If you think promising to share your squirrel is really going to get the majority of people behind you, more power to you. I do not believe that to be the case.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Reply to post by Sinnthia

Deer is meh. But I will eat it. I dislike elk and caribou though. Yech

Rabbit, squirrel, snake, etc. All good.

edit on 3/8/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

Good for you!

I am not sure what your point is.

Enjoy your roadkill by all means. Anyone that is sitting around dreaming of a life full of squirrel meat is more than welcome to it. If you think promising to share your squirrel is really going to get the majority of people behind you, more power to you. I do not believe that to be the case.

Is that all you can do? Attempt to instigate an argument based off of an off topic conversation several pages ago?

You have attempted time and again to refute either what lemon Fresh Presented or myself, with no viable evidence. Thus solidifying that you are unable to conjure up a constructive thought to this thread.....

Your trolling efforts are astounding!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

He is the same as the others in the first 7 pages. All BS. Nothing but blah blah blah with nothing to back it up.

I see a lot of claims about Texas having the right to secede. I see a lot of claims about what a great idea it is and how you are on board.

But um...

The fact that it has not happened and is not happening, kind of makes those claims "All BS. Nothing but blah blah blah with nothing to back it up."

I really love to see a US citizen, sitting in his US state, claiming he is leaving the US and no one can stop him, telling others they are full of crap for saying you are never actually leaving. Well...when are you leaving? This thread is really very entertaining.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Some people are just tired of beating their head into the wall.
Some people can see the writing on the wall and want to get out before it all really goes to pot.

Who are you trying to convince?

What part of goodbye is not getting through? Are you all waiting for us to shed a tear? Beg you to stay? Tell you we love you and we are sorry. It will all be different? Doesn't look like that is about to happen so its time to put up or shut up.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join