It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Yeah I know, i was quoting Ron White, the comedian? Come on now, I would hope you can decipher sarcasm?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by AmeriCanadian

Less we forget, your example of the Civil War was based off of slavery and oppression. Not so much atrocities from the ruling government, which we have today. Completely different parameters.

I have to laugh at those who continually use the Civil War as the basis of argument? ( shaking head )

Oppression of one peoples race, as opposed to oppression of an entire population!

No the civil was was based around state's rights. Slavery was the catalyst.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Reply to post by Byrd

A majority of the signatures came from petition drives.

Furthermore, this petition was supposed to be filed in 2009, but it was delayed due to some loopholes that needed to be filled. The big push for signatures was in 2009, hence the numbers are bigger for 2009.

edit on 3/8/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
People underestimate states like Texas being able to act independent of the Fed Govt. If any state, Texas is the one to do it.
Oil rich, pride in individuality, they do have defenses (Texas National and Air Nation Guard) both belong to the state.
I do not think Mexican Drug cartels would stand a chance against Texans on a just cause.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

On November 6, 1860 Abraham Lincoln was elected President of the United States -- an event that outraged southern states. The Republican party had run on an anti-slavery platform, and many southerners felt that there was no longer a place for them in the Union. On December 20, 1860, South Carolina seceded. By Febrary 1, 1861, six more states -- Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas -- had split from the Union. The seceded states created the Confederate States of America and elected Jefferson Davis, a Mississippi Senator, as their provisional president.

Lincoln may have insisted that the war was not about slavery or black rights; it was a war to preserve the Union, but on the contrary, the sole purpose of the States that seceded was due to slavery.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
Oh just let them secede and watch as Mexico (or the Drug Cartels) invades them.

Then we can watch as all the Texans cry to the USA to come help them fight off the invasion...and I say we all give them the big one finger salute back to them.

Silly Texans...the idea of becoming your own country is a pipe dream.

The same was said of the American people by the Britains in the 1700's

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

On November 6, 1860 Abraham Lincoln was elected President of the United States -- an event that outraged southern states. The Republican party had run on an anti-slavery platform, and many southerners felt that there was no longer a place for them in the Union. On December 20, 1860, South Carolina seceded. By Febrary 1, 1861, six more states -- Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas -- had split from the Union. The seceded states created the Confederate States of America and elected Jefferson Davis, a Mississippi Senator, as their provisional president.

Lincoln may have insisted that the war was not about slavery or black rights; it was a war to preserve the Union, but on the contrary, the sole purpose of the States that seceded was due to slavery.

Yes, Slavery as a right of the States. Hence, the Civil War was over State's rights. Slavery was the Catalyst.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Then we can watch as all the Texans cry to the USA to come help them fight off the invasion...and I say we all give them the big one finger salute back to them.

Musket vs Musket is a little different than Hunting Rifle vs Stealth Bomber

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

. . .

Really now?

Not to derail my thread or anything, but you might need to catch up on some history

I would say inb4 racists comments . . . but they were already made back on page 3 & 4

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Because Mexico has stealth bombers?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

No, because the US Federal government does.

It will be interesting to see where the soldiers loyalies lie on the day Texas succeeds. I would suspect most US soldiers to be very proud of their COUNTRY. Moreso than their state.

So, the Texans will most likely be on their own, as Fort Clark, El Dorado Airforce Station. Camp Barkley and more turn against their statesmen.

Remember, just because you are posted at Fort Clark doesnt mean you are a Texan.
edit on 8-3-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

But how can the US use stealth bomber ons Texas while giving them the middle finger salute and ignoring them?

It will be interesting to see where the soldiers loyalies lie on the day Texas succeeds. I would suspect most US soldiers to be very proud of their COUNTRY. Moreso than their state.

So, the Texans will most likely be on their own, as Fort Clark, El Dorado Airforce Station. Camp Barkley and more turn against their statesmen.
. . .

You don't know Texans. lol

Just go to Fiesta Texas and watch the audience at the laser show . . . and that is just a small sampling.

Not saying Texans are not proud to be Americans. The pride is on about an equal level.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

But how can the US use stealth bomber ons Texas while giving them the middle finger salute and ignoring them?

. . .

You don't know Texans. lol

Just go to Fiesta Texas and watch the audience at the laser show . . . and that is just a small sampling.

Not saying Texans are not proud to be Americans. The pride is on about an equal level.

I absolutely agree. Ive visited Texas before and they are a proud folk.

But again, simply because you are posted at a Texas military base does not mean you are Texan. It would wager most commanding officers at such bases would in fact not be Texans.

So why do you assume that they would become traitors to their country and defend Texas and not the greater USA?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Texas has it's own Stealth Fighters as well, Texas Air National Guard. They also have just about everything else that the Fed Govt has in the Military. They also have part of NASA.
Texas holds a lot more cards then most people think.

If they left the US, I am almost positive that 90% of people in Texas and/or Texas by birth would stay there or travel back.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Texas has it's own Stealth Fighters as well, Texas Air National Guard. They also have just about everything else that the Fed Govt has in the Military. They also have part of NASA.
Texas holds a lot more cards then most people think.

If they left the US, I am almost positive that 90% of people in Texas and/or Texas by birth would stay there or travel back.

Do you know who the civilian Commander in Chief of the Texas Air Guard is?

Barack Obama.

Who is their military leader?

BRIGIDIER GENERAL JOHN F NICHOLS. This man is a Coloradian.

Your point was?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I see what you are saying.

That would indeed be a sticky situation.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
The US Government has demonstrated in the past 10 years with Georgia and other breakaway republics and most recently with Egypt and the ME that the will of the people must be abided...

They will look really stupid and hypocritical on the world stage to all of the sudden say that we meant that as long as it wasn’t our tax base seceding...lol!

Besides Texas or any other breakaway state would have world support because a weakened Union is in the best interest of many of our enemies.

Quoted for admiration. This may very well be the most profound observation amid the ping pong banter in this entire thread. (especially my own)

Worthy of note though. America ALSO has a demonstrated propensity to invade 'rogue' nations without just cause. Texas should be forewarned lest we pull an 'Enduring Freedom' campaign or worse yet another Grenada Invasion.
We may even summon Janet Reno from her dirt nap and go Waco all over your bad selves.

Secede indeed. Another idea sparked by a 1 ounce brain in a 10 Gallon Hat.

edit on 8-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Reply to post by nightbringr

The civilian commander in chief is the governor of the state, but can be called up by the president.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by binomialtheorem
If this passes I am moving out of Texas, its already a bit leany towards discrimination.(Not trying to offend anyone here, just from past experiences.)

Bless your heart.

Take I-35 north, I-20/I-10 west or I-20 east. I guess you could take 45 south as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Originally posted by Golf66
The US Government has demonstrated in the past 10 years with Georgia and other breakaway republics and most recently with Egypt and the ME that the will of the people must be abided...

They will look really stupid and hypocritical on the world stage to all of the sudden say that we meant that as long as it wasn’t our tax base seceding...lol!

Besides Texas or any other breakaway state would have world support because a weakened Union is in the best interest of many of our enemies.

Quoted for admiration. This may very well be the most profound observation amid the ping pong banter in this entire thread. (especially my own)

Worthy of note though. America ALSO has a demonstrated propensity to invade 'rogue' nations without just cause. Texas should be forewarned lest we pull an 'Enduring Freedom' campaign or worse yet another Grenada Invasion.
We may even summon Janet Reno from her dirt nap and go Waco all over your bad selves.

Secede indeed. Another idea sparked by a 1 ounce brain in a 10 Gallon Hat.

edit on 8-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

Wel Texas does not have to worry about the war mongering as their state is comprised of a constituency base
that backs the concept of militaristic theocratic nationalism (trifecta) They can attack the fruity people in Austin
create

religious tests for employment,

Work for Education Bill

invade Chile after Mexico launches a terror attack

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join