It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill on Texas Secession presented to Texas Legislature

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Reply to post by ShadowMaster

Now tell me

Did you read and understand the petition? Some in this thread think that people just signed it willy-nilly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Reply to post by LibertyLover

Yeah because you give up fighting for freedom after one loss.

Your ATS name is a lie.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Maybe its just me, but I seem to vaguely recall something that involved Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, North and South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee. I seem to also recall that certain people from these places were called um, whats the word....hm..Oh yea, Secessionist! I think they believed that the Constitution was just a polite suggestion that any state could walk away from with out an "insurrection" taking place, too.

Does anybody else remember something like this? If so, perhaps someone could refresh my memory. Wasn't it called the Civil War? Did it take place from 1860-1864? If it did, then I seem to recall it ended real bad for those 11 states. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't a logical conclusion would be that if 11 states couldn't make it happen with the brightest military minds, then what hope to does one state with an over-inflated ego and compulsory delusions about its greatness have?

This is just my opinion, but it would appear that I am not the only one who completely forgot about the "States War", "War of Northern Aggression", or whatever you want to call it. I should also point out that I have many good friends in Texas that don't feel like leaving the union. In a state of about 50 million people, 1 million is considerable, but still represents a small minority among a vast majority of good common sense people.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AmeriCanadian

Less we forget, your example of the Civil War was based off of slavery and oppression. Not so much atrocities from the ruling government, which we have today. Completely different parameters.

I have to laugh at those who continually use the Civil War as the basis of argument? ( shaking head )

Oppression of one peoples race, as opposed to oppression of an entire population!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gator1177

Ah, Well spoken, friend. I heartily agree. Maybe someday our fellow countrymen and women will take your suggestion, but I imagine the stench outside is probably a lot worse than where their heads are now. That's a good thing, though!

The House, Senate, Supreme Court and White House are like a giant toilet that has continually been piling up for past 40 years. Maybe the smell will motivate them to do what any rational person concerned about sanity and cleanliness will do...Flush it.

Republican or democrat: same wolves, different sheep's clothing.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

To a degree I would agree with you. But the possibility of removing themselves, from an already corrupt system, would allow for any " within issues", to be resolved. Stop and think, if by seceding, they would have to re-write their States Constitution, and re-establish new trade ..etc etc....is it possible that re-establishing themselves would " clear" any voids. Particularly because you would have more of the peoples " voices " being heard. I'm only guessing though.

Removing themselves? E pluribus unum - "Out of many, one"

The only reason Texas wants to jump this sinking ship is because they don't want to go down with it, so what do they do? They take the life boats away from the women and children.
Seceding is a cowardly and selfish act. I see so many Texans on here quoting the founding fathers and the Constitution of the USA - but when it really comes down to the wire, they will abandon their own countrymen and women. Texas already thinks of itself as a separate state apart from the Union - so it has already segregated itslef from the rest of us US citizens.
"Lone Star State"
"Don't Mess With Texas"
Who's messing with Texas - and why declare yourselves a "Lone Star?"

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kroms33

Thomas Jefferson once wrote;

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manur

I take it, the tree of liberty bares no relevance in your eyes of freedom?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ya know, if all the states seceded, that would leave DC all by its little ol corporate self. LOL

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Thats exactly what some people hope is going to happen. Can't speak for anyone though.

-B

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

many of the things you are concerned about have already been discussed.

...but, apparently, not by any secessionist that have a fully functional brain...

...ie: the idea you posted about retired military and social security pensioners getting their benefits no matter where they live is NOT always true... think cuba... the usofa could decide to treat us like cuba and/or make anyone who stays in texas an enemy combatant or a traitor...

...the reason why the secession groups want to secede is cuz the usofa federal government is so screwed up, right?... okay, so, what kind of logic says that the screwed up federal government is going to happily agree with texas seceding and treat us like a foreign country that they like?...

With reference to government installations such as NASA, or military bases in Texas, they would continue, if they chose to remain. How many thousands of installations and/or agreements do we now have all over the world in foreign countries? How many billions did we spend in the Panama Canal alone?

...again, thats presuming the usofa federal government will play ball like the secessioners want them to and, gosh, thats as naive as presuming a psychopath wont act like a psychopath when its convenient for you...

Same thing with reference to roads and interstate commerce.

...where is the assurance that the federal government of the usofa wont use the military to retain full control of the interstate highways that criss cross texas?... oh, thats right - there is no assurance, just the foolish presumption that things are gonna play out perfectly...

...think about the layout of the interstates and how that would slice up texas if the usofa federal government decided to play it that way...

In reality will this ever happen? Probably not.

...hope not cuz i really dont believe it would turn out like secessioners think it will...

I learned a long time ago however, to never say never.....

...i learned a long time ago that maintaining a high level of integrity means there are some things one must always say never to...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Oh just let them secede and watch as Mexico (or the Drug Cartels) invades them.

Then we can watch as all the Texans cry to the USA to come help them fight off the invasion...and I say we all give them the big one finger salute back to them.

Silly Texans...the idea of becoming your own country is a pipe dream.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSe7eNx
This is probably the best thing states can start doing. They're not leaving the states of the union either they are simply reclaiming their sovereignty and trying to end any federal intrusion into they're government and hopefully economic system. This is what every state/American should do is re-claim their sovereignty and eliminate all binding contracts with the federal government and big corporation. It is time people start re-claiming their constitutional rights and learn what its like to live in a truly free country. And a new currency that is at least backed by gold or silver needs to be re-introduced before this entire country collapses.
edit on 7-3-2011 by xSe7eNx because: (no reason given)

How would you propose this works? All the states declare independance then what? The Federal government defaults on its bond payments to creditors such as China, Britain and others? These countries understandably are pissed and align themselves against what is left of America.

The Federal government no longer has the income to run a successful defense of the country so it now falls into individual states who begin arming themselves to the teeth.

The new enemy now of course becomes Nebraska, Ohio or Arizona, as we do not trust their intentions and why are they building so many anti aircraft arrays?

This scenerio means America loses its world power status to China long before it would if the status quo remains as it is now.

Sounds like fun! I have a front row seat up here in Canada, let the games begin! Ill be ready when North Dakota wants to take our oil sands!

edit on 8-3-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

nah, Texas has a motto...if you kill somebody, they will kill you back!

In all seriousness though, if Texas seceded, and mexican cartels began any ' war ' with Texas, there would no longer be any diplomacy, no more back door deals....no more talk. Most likely there would be action. And most likely it would be confined to only the areas in question in regards to Texas borders.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Reply to post by kroms33

Wait.

You day who cares if Texas is #2 GDP, then you say the US would save money be Texas leaving.

That is a contradiction.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

I take it, the tree of liberty bares no relevance in your eyes of freedom?

You quote Jefferson but his quote is for the whole of country, not a singular entity or state.
What freedom do you speak of? From repression of government or personal?
There is no true freedom in our republic, as there is no true democracy. Liberty is to liberal as conservative is to republican. There are too many issues destroying the USA...
edit on 3/8/2011 by kroms33 because: Messed up posted without finishing

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
As a proud Texan, I've just gotta say, "What... this bunch again?" They show up every few years and make some pretty wild claims and if you listen to their press, we're just frothing to get out our guns and show the US what Real Freedom is about.

Majority sentiment is NOT for seceeding from the US. .

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

AUSTIN -- The Texas Nationalist Movement will host a rally at the state capitol Saturday urging lawmakers to put the matter of Texas independence before the state's voters in a non-binding plebiscite.

They can have my vote now and that of my family and that of my friends. It's "no." I'm an American citizen. I don't want to get a passport to visit my dear dad in Florida. I don't want to pay import and export duties on the food we get from our other states.

The resolution, drawn up as a concurrent resolution of the Legislature, spells out actions by the federal government which have intruded on the sovereignty of the State of Texas and calls for the plebiscite to be included on the ballot of the next scheduled election for state constitutional amendments. That date is Nov. 8 of this year.

Not the Texas Legislature, mind you. The legislature of the "Texas Nationalist Movement." they don't speak for me. Here's a less enthused and possibly less biased story on this:
www.chron.com...

The petition to secede was signed by over a million registered voters. Their website, in June 2009, had over 5 million hits.

Voters from Texas? Really?

Check their traffic ranking on Alexa. www.alexa.com...#
Now compare that to Abovetopsecret.com on Alexa: www.alexa.com...#

Notice any difference?

I'd believe a petition here with a million signatures. I don't believe it from a site whose highest traffic came in 2009 and which doesn't get enough visitors to rate a blip on Alexa.

On the other hand, they want to run Rick Perry out of office. I'm all for that.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by MindSpin

nah, Texas has a motto...if you kill somebody, they will kill you back! .

The Texas state motto is "friendship." It appears some folks forget this, but it's true. Our motto has nothing to do with guns, jingoism, flag-waving, cowboy myths or anything else.
www.statesymbolsusa.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Reply to post by Vortiki

Texas owns its own plumbing, electricity, etc.

In fact, TX sells its excess electricity.

Stores…TX has plenty of TX owned chains.

Currency, that could be worked on.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Reply to post by rogerstigers

I dunno. After the US helping rebels fight their governments across the globe…

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by theyhavemywife

The country would be a better place if the Constitution were followed.

That is the point of contention with all the secession movements.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join