It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arab media says Gaddafi looking for exit deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Arab media says Gaddafi looking for exit deal

in.reuters.com

Al Jazeera said Gaddafi had proposed to Libyan rebels to hold a meeting of parliament to pave the way for him to step down with certain guarantees.

It said Gaddafi made the proposal to the interim council, which speaks for mostly eastern areas controlled by his opponents. It quoted sources in the council as saying Gaddafi wanted guarantees of personal safety for him and his family and a pledge that they not be put on trial.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com
www.upstreamonline.com

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If this article is true, the fact that Gaddafi wants to talk it over now suggests to me that he knows his end is near. After his earlier show of brutal force in slaughtering his own citizens, and vowing to "fight to the last man," it seems that he has changed his mind and is wanting a peaceful resolution to the conflict now.

This seems to be a sure sign of weakness on his part... it will be interesting to see how the situation develops from here.

I wonder if the rebels will let him leave?

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Can somebody help me understand what is going on here.
If he is the bloodthirsty dictator and all the things America is saying, then why have we never cared before? Why are we only caring now?

If he is so evil then why is his man made river project so great and was going to help all libyans and some Egyptian farmers..........

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Albastion

If this article is true, the fact that Gaddafi wants to talk it over now suggests to me that he knows his end is near. After his earlier show of brutal force in slaughtering his own citizens, and vowing to "fight to the last man," it seems that he has changed his mind and is wanting a peaceful resolution to the conflict now.

Spoken like a true brainwashed sheep, sorry but i take every news stories or news articles about the events in Libya with a grain of salt.

After his earlier show of brutal force in slaughtering his own citizens

Once i saw your comment it reminded me of a brainwashed sheep during the war in iraq, Oh the brutal saddam slaughtering his own citizens.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by moonpie86

Well, we weren't "only" caring before. He just acted like he was "getting better".

Gaddafi was causing terrorism by blowing up airplanes and nightclubs in Europe; plotting political assassinations, bombing airports, and supporting terror cells around the world.

In 1991, Reagan had enough of it and tried to blow Gaddafi up. After that Gaddafi started to normalize his relations with the West, partly by paying billions of dollars to the victims, but not without characteristic showmanship.

In 2003 he announced that he had weapons of mass destruction, and invited the West to come in and dismantle them. This was a keystone moment in turning his relationship with the Western World, who were willing to forgive his past transgressions. He especially went out of his way to normalize relations with France and Italy, and pledged to fight Al-Qaeda. His public image campaign even won him a seat in the UN Human Rights council. To the West, it seemed like he might be changing his ways, so we welcomed the "New Gaddafi" that he seemed to be...

...But he really wasn't. We "only" started to care again last month when hundreds of unarmed, peaceful protesters were shot in the head and chest with live ammunition by snipers, just for protesting. His brutality caused a popular uprising, and horrified the Western and Arabic media. That's why we care about it now -- He was brutally killing unarmed people who just wanted more rights and representation, which his government was not giving them at all. We did an about-face on Gaddafi because he revealed that he is still just the same monster that he always has been.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Spoken like a true brainwashed sheep, sorry but i take every news stories or news articles about the events in Libya with a grain of salt.

After his earlier show of brutal force in slaughtering his own citizens

Once i saw your comment it reminded me of a brainwashed sheep during the war in iraq, Oh the brutal saddam slaughtering his own citizens.

We will see if you still think this once the people take over in Libya. Why don't you go do something productive.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

We will see if you still think this once the people take over in Libya. Why don't you go do something productive.

Do you remember The so called uprising in 2000 In Serbia who took over after the CIA backed uprising?
www.guardian.co.uk...

Who took over after the fake uprising? a pro Washington Prime minster, and hows serbia doing? pretty bad, in fact its almost as bad as in Romania.

Why don't you go do something productive

Why dont you go do something productive? like waking up and stop believing the media for once?

We will see if you still think this once the people take over in Libya

Come back here in 20 years from and ask me again, and also the people never have a voice, people are always used as pawns.

Just so you know.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Do you remember The so called uprising in 2000 In Serbia who took over after the CIA backed uprising?
www.guardian.co.uk...

Who took over after the fake uprising? a pro Washington Prime minster, and hows serbia doing? pretty bad, in fact its almost as bad as in Romania.

I'm struggling to understand what this has to do with Gaddafi and Libya. Please keep your posts on topic or start your own new thread. If you start a new thread about your theories of what was happening in Serbia, I will be happy to enter it and discuss it with you if you send me the address in a message. For now, this thread is for current events and not for discussing things that happened over a decade ago in a completely unrelated area. If you are going to suggest that the CIA is involved in Libya, please provide evidence.

Just trying to keep this breaking news thread on topic! Thanks!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

If you are going to suggest that the CIA is involved in Libya, please provide evidence.

If you cant see it on your own well i wont waste my energy on you even if i make a new thread about it, since you strongly deny it.

I already posted some threads about the protests before look it up.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.
I have read many articles about Gadaffi denying he was involved. I know that the media at the time was full of alot of crap here in Australia, these subjects were not covered well. They news were only interested in telling one story.(whats new).

I am after concrete proof that Gadaffi is a monster and not someone trying to protect his countrys people. He wants NATO to set up a committe to investigate the killings..... Why would he want that if he was innocent?
I've seen our policemen beat up innocent men, I have seen our political leaders getting their hands dirty , I have seen so much filth from the American and Australian government that I would like proof Gadaffi did this before I say Libya needs him gone.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Libya needs him gone

Libya needs him gone? i dont think so its more that the American government and other governments that want him gone.

And since when did Libyan rebels started talking in english? also every time the so called commander of the Libyan rebels always started talking in english CNN Anderson Cooper had him on yesterday and for some reason he started to speak english right on Cue.

I find it funny the opposition protesters speak in english and for some reason Pro-Gaddafi people on TV speak Arabic? how can that be and happen?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

What's your point?
Kaddafi speaks english when he wants to. Leaders normally have some type of education, why is hard to believe the rebels would not choose educated leaders?
Perhaps he wants to get into a cozy UN world court prison before his army and mercenaries turn on him.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
According to Reuters this morning, Al Jazeera TV said the rebels had refused Gaddafi's offer. As evil as this man can be, perhaps there is part of him that wants to avoid watching his country descend into all out civil war where tens of thousands could be slaughtered and this may have played a motivating factor in his offer to strike a deal with the rebels. According to his son, the army has not been given orders to go into full defense/attack mode as yet but would be given such orders in the event of foreign military interference. All hell could break loose then over there.

Reuters article

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonpie86

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.
I have read many articles about Gadaffi denying he was involved. I know that the media at the time was full of alot of crap here in Australia, these subjects were not covered well. They news were only interested in telling one story.(whats new).

I am after concrete proof that Gadaffi is a monster and not someone trying to protect his countrys people. He wants NATO to set up a committe to investigate the killings..... Why would he want that if he was innocent?
I've seen our policemen beat up innocent men, I have seen our political leaders getting their hands dirty , I have seen so much filth from the American and Australian government that I would like proof Gadaffi did this before I say Libya needs him gone.

Gaddafi is only saying that because he is propagandizing -- he is trying to manipulate the situation and appear innocent by lying to his own people.

At first he also said that the fighters were drugged by Al-Qaeda, who put hallucinogenic drugs in their morning tea...
He literally was blaming Osama bin Laden for this.

At first, Gaddafi tried to rally his own people by blaming the uprising on hallucinogenic drugs.
Osama bin Laden, hallucinogenic drugs started protests says Qaddafi
February 24th

Later, he tried to spread propaganda by saying that there was no uprising against him at all.
Libya's Gadhafi Denies Protesters Even Exist
March 1st

Generally, he has favored the Al-Qaeda explanation when propagandizing his own people, and has favored the "Western Conspiracy" explanation when propagandizing the West.
Kadhafi slams West; US says too soon to arm rebels

Moamer Kadhafi's regime accused the West of "a conspiracy to divide Libya" as Washington, under mounting pressure to help opposition forces, said it was premature to arm the rebels.

"It is clear that France, Great Britain and the US are now getting in touch with defectors in eastern Libya. It means there is a conspiracy to divide Libya," said the minister, Mussa Kussa.

If Gaddafi were telling the truth you would think that his story would be consistent to all parties.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

And since when did Libyan rebels started talking in english? also every time the so called commander of the Libyan rebels always started talking in english CNN Anderson Cooper had him on yesterday and for some reason he started to speak english right on Cue.

I find it funny the opposition protesters speak in english and for some reason Pro-Gaddafi people on TV speak Arabic? how can that be and happen?

Do you seriously think that there isn't anyone in Libya who speaks English? What about teachers, merchants, and journalists?

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
According to Reuters this morning, Al Jazeera TV said the rebels had refused Gaddafi's offer. As evil as this man can be, perhaps there is part of him that wants to avoid watching his country descend into all out civil war where tens of thousands could be slaughtered and this may have played a motivating factor in his offer to strike a deal with the rebels. According to his son, the army has not been given orders to go into full defense/attack mode as yet but would be given such orders in the event of foreign military interference. All hell could break loose then over there.

Reuters article

There is nothing noble about what he is doing. He vowed to fight to the death, he slaughtered a bunch of people, and now that he sees that the tides have shifted, he is trying to save his own tail. He is requesting a safe trip out of Libya for him and his family, AND immunity from prosecution by the rebels. This is why the rebels turned down his deal... they want justice for the scores of people that Gaddafi has killed so far, not to mention that they control a huge portion of Eastern Libya.

There is no reason why the rebels should concede to Gaddafi's demands. Think about it, if someone murdered many of your friends and possibly even your family members and you chased him down and caught up with him, and he said "Okay you got me, now let me go and don't prosecute me, I'll stop killing your friends" there would be NO WAY you would agree to that. You would want to arrest him and prosecute him, which is ideally what will happen to Gaddafi.

top topics

join