It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya Rebels Reject Potential Gaddafi Offer To Step Down, Al Jazeera Reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Al Jazeera television said Libyan rebels on Monday rejected an offer by Muammar Gaddafi to hold a meeting of parliament to work out a deal under which he would step down.

Al Jazeera said sources from the rebel interim council told its correspondent in Benghazi that the offer was rejected because it would have amounted to an "honourable" exit for Gaddafi and would offend his victims.

Is Gaddafi really trying to get out? He has seemed very stubborn so far, why is he changing his tune? Has he finally realised that he is fighting a battle that he can't win?

Are the rebel forces waiting to make it to Tripoli, so they can kill Gaddafi? Why wouldn't they accept a deal from him to leave the country?

Rebels REJECT Gaddafi offer to Step Down!
edit on 3/7/2011 by SUICIDEHK45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Sounds like there pissed.

If I was in there position I wouldn't mind watching the man die in front of me.

As far as the implications of rejecting his offer, it is hard to say.

It might prolong the violence, but on the other hand Gaddafi is clearly having doubts at this point. Perhaps their rejection will cause him to flee.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It almost sounds like the Rebels want his head.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Because it's too late to step down peacefully now! From the Libyans standpoint (my opinion), they have had thousands of their friends, family, and neighbors killed simply chanting that Gaddafi should leave office. Now, after all of these deaths, why should he be allowed to bow out gracefully, seek asylum and protection, to live out the rest of his life? Further, do you really think they all want to be left with his loyal military still in Libya? Where are they all going to go?

I think they are holding Gaddafi to his own words: That he will die on Libyan soil.

edit on 7-3-2011 by lpowell0627 because: grammar

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think the answer is a simple one.

They want JUSTICE, like everyone else.

having him walk off with their cash, and not facing the music for the treatment and supression of his people, is not an option.

new topics

top topics

join