It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: No 2000 Repeat: Kerry Team Assembles Legal Eagles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Kerry & Bush were both Lieutenants in the Military; which one actually paid attention during OCS classroom time?
The John Kerry team has taken the planning initiative of assembling it's own Legal team to combat voter fraud.

www.nytimes.com
Aides to Mr. Kerry say the campaign is taking the unusual step of setting up a nationwide legal network under its own umbrella, rather than relying, as in the past, on lawyers associated with state Democratic parties. The aides said they were recruiting people based on their skills as litigators and election lawyers, rather than rewarding political connections or big donors.
Lawyers for the campaign are gathering intelligence and preparing litigation over the ballot machines being used and the rules concerning how voters will be registered or their votes disqualified. In some cases, the lawyers are compiling dossiers on the people involved and their track records on enforcing voting rights. The disputed 2000 presidential election remains a fresh wound for Democrats, and Mr. Kerry has been referring to it on the stump while assuring his audiences that he will not let this year's election be a repeat of the 2000 vote.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Unless one wishes to subscribe to a conspiracy theory that says the Bush administration wants Florida to remain an electoral shambles so it will have the possibility of cooking the 2004 elections through the state's 27 Electoral College votes, the fact that the process is still a mess there nearly four years later, less than four months before the next elections, is inexplicable. The reality of the current situation is that an unreliable, malfunctioning electoral system in a key state governed by the brother of one of the presidential candidates risks once again throwing that state's and the nation's election results into major confusion.
Any reasonable individual, given altruism at their base, would have made it priority ONE to insure that the process, which half the country questioned in giving them a first term, would have been beyond doubt by the time of their re-election bid, no? So that "fair & square" would have been the label applied to this potential victory?

[edit on 19-7-2004 by Nerdling]

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Months ago I stated that I believed that Kerry and Co. will challenge the election results unless it's a landslide, regardless of if there is a valid reason. Since it almost worked for the Democrats in 2000, I fully expect to see them try it again. I also said that I thought they were probably already getting their team together and researching whatever loopholes they can find in the system to exploit.

Heh, Told ya!

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Good article Bout Time!

Well I agree that observers are needed in order to ensure a fair and true democratic process.

Now why would anyone object to this?

My only fear is that things will happen outside of the lawyers view, you can't have one lawyer in every polling place you know

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Jeb Bush already got his hand caught in the cookie jar over another felon scrub a month ago, so he'll really have to be inventive ths time. The supreme court cited 'equal protection' when it decided to stop counting the votes, what is the impetus for Jeb to reform his state? So his brother can lose again? I say we hire Jimmy Carter to supervise our elections, like he does in other countries. But I forgot we live in a new age, where our values only apply to others, and we justify using other values because they don't live up to ours.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Jeb Bush already got his hand caught in the cookie jar over another felon scrub a month ago, so he'll really have to be inventive ths time. The supreme court cited 'equal protection' when it decided to stop counting the votes, what is the impetus for Jeb to reform his state? So his brother can lose again? I say we hire Jimmy Carter to supervise our elections, like he does in other countries. But I forgot we live in a new age, where our values only apply to others, and we justify using other values because they don't live up to ours.

- the latest idea I've heard of is something just scarey enough, timed to have folks rushing home on the west coast (rather than go vote) which could/should hit the democrat vote hard.

Maybe some of that weird American anthrax will pop up again?!

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I also said that I thought they were probably already getting their team together and researching whatever loopholes they can find in the system to exploit.

Psst...stop listing at the back & move to the front of the classroom....you're not paying attention!!

"......the fact that the process is still a mess there nearly four years later, less than four months before the next elections, is inexplicable. "

No standards, E-vote kiosks certified in some places - banned in others, voter roll "felon" purges still flagging little old lady Democrats (that haven't stolen anthing since their Mommy's made Molasses cookies & left them cooling on the sill......in 1929), the state government being sued to open up the voter roll sheets.

I ask you: being the authority holding office at the state & federal levels, both having the same Father ( we think, though Jeb is like a foot taller than Dim Son).....which has the proven track record of ferreting out loopholes & improprity!?!?!?!

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
What are they worried about? That they are going to lose again?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time"......the fact that the process is still a mess there nearly four years later, less than four months before the next elections, is inexplicable. "

well it is one of the poorest states with a big population, thats probably a biig reason why its still a problem and it isnt the only thing here that is messed up, it has nothing to do with some voting conspiracy.

anyways nothing ever proved that only democrats lost votes, plus the election isnt determined by popular vote, an electoral vote can be whoever that elector wants even if a minority voted for the candidate they chose, whoever has the most electoral votes is who wins so anyone aware of the system knows that the election was not stolen and no loophole was exploited, however many votes that werent counted means nothing because electoral votes are what decides the election.

they are wasting money to try to prevent a repeat because what happened had 0 to do with lost votes, it was perfectly legal- people should realise how the system works but obviously most dont by how they reacted and still react to how bush was elected.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
My only fear is that things will happen outside of the lawyers view, you can't have one lawyer in every polling place you know

True, but if this is done smart it will focus on only a handful of states. There's no point in supervising the voting in Texas or NY. There's not even a point in voting in 45 states most likely.

Again, because of the electoral system only residents of a handful of "close" states will decide. To distill it further, only a handful of swing voters in certain populated counties in those swing states decide. That's bad enough, so watching the election boards in those polls is a top priority.

And on another note, I can't believe anyone would object to ensuring democracy. I take that back, of course I can.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The fact that the Kerry lawyers are already preparing litigation shows where their motives lay.

The assertion that it is somehow GWB's job to make sure that election procedures are above board in every state is ridiculous. That is not why we elected him. The states own the responsibility for their voting booths.

Where have the democrats been for the last 4 years? Why haven't they used their concern for 'altruism' to fix any problems in the election process? Had GWB taken action to fix these 'problems', you can be sure the same losers would be accusing him of trying to rig the next election.

Whining because GWB isn't smoothing the road for them.

It shows that Kerry didn't learn about taking charge of a situation in OCS. He did learn, however, how to point fingers and wail "Fix it for me!"

What a bunch of crybabies. As Ahhnold would say," Bunch of girlie men!".

[edit on 19-7-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
If an Austrian with strong Nazi sympathies can't reach a Brownshirt mentality, what would the world be coming to?

First off, It was your President Bush who came into office swearing "standardization" & "improvement" of our "archaic" voting methodologies. HE took that to be E-voting with no paper trail & no Federal oversight of the source code, perhaps? It was Jeb Bush who swore his state would be ready come 2004 ( really 2002, but there was a need to fudge his re-elcetion against McBride first ).

It show clearly & with zero ambiguity one thing: Theft won't be allowed to go unregistered a second time, and John Kerry is not Gentleman Gore, who had the goods but felt it would further divide the country. Bush could care less about that....in fact he WANTS THE COUNTRY MORE DIVIDED.

I think it most telling that Bush & his minions are so fearful of transparency.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think both parties should be made to equally pay for lawyers hired independently by the FEC to ensure fairness by both parties, That would be a truer transparency without resorting to a catfight.

Both parties are guilty of shenanigans

Manipulation of poll hours
Mystery of 100% voter turnout
Dead voters
Military absentee ballot
bribing voters for vote
Etc.

Just to name a few reasons for independent lawyers, if any of those exist?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
"When speakers from the Election Assistance Commission (EAC) attend the August 24-28, 2004, Election Center's conference for federal and state election employees in Washington, DC, they will be participating in a huge conflict of interest as they eat, drink, and make-merry at the Diebold, Sequoia, and ES&S (voting machine vendors) sponsored events. Sequoia Voting Systems is co-sponsor for a dinner cruise on the Potomac and a monuments by night tour. A welcome reception compliments of Diebold with ES&S throwing in a graduation luncheon and awards ceremonies. It being Washington, members of the House and Senate are also invited. The EAC, supposedly an independent bipartisan agency, was appointed by President [sic] George W. Bush following the Election Fiasco of 2000 [coup d'etat], and is authorized by the Help America Vote Act (HAVA)..."

Op/Ed News

So, this president does as he as done all along, give lip service to an issue, have the perception formed that he's on the case........and undermine the initiative to serve his interests.
He appointed this high titled group. He took every penny of Pioneer Level contribution from the executives at Diebold, Sequoia, and ES&S (Hell, some of them are even GOP State Campaign Chairmen !!!!) ANd now those same supporters are not only given the auspice to conduct the vote, but carte blanche to wine & dine the state vote administrators !!!

Bush Team = Corrupt
And not only that, but corrupt in the light of day.........and you'll still proclaim that both sides are guilty here, right?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

from BoutTime
Arnold was speaking to you!

Yes, ABOUT you and the rest of the whiners in the Kerry camp.

Gore had no "goods" on anything. If he did he would have used them. When will the liberals stop trying to re-write the facts and finally realize that they picked a loser in 2000, and again in 2004?

BTW, altruism is a vice, not a virtue. It relies on victims and misery in order to exist, in order to practice it's tenets. But there's no shortage of those among the liberal camp, so they don't have to worry about going extinct any time soon.

Get off your butt and go fix the problems yourself, if you're so concerned.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think with all the things going on with the so call possible terrorist attack and the possibility of elections been postpone I don't blame any candidate against the present administration taking the necessary precaution against fraud or fowl play.

Already history has proved that fraud and fowl play can happen in an election after the results in Florida the last time, I will not trust anybody in this administration.

As a matter of fact two days ago I visited for the first time since I have been a resident of this county I live in the court house to check and make sure that my information and family information for voting was accurate so to avoid surprises on Election Day. Call me paranoid but I am voting this year and I want my vote to count.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
2000 Election scandal? "Hey, get over it"
2004 Election scandal repeat? "Hey, the right team will win; look how much better off we are!!

Altuism = vice, huh?
Well, if :

Bush = leader
War = Peace
Unemployment = Prosperity

I can see where your allegoric math skills go surreal...

P.S.
I'm not a Liberal; but please, along with the rest of the GOP, continue to think that the only opposition to this paper president is from the Left......it won't bite you in the azz, no, really, it won't! Forget I even mentioned it !

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hey BoutTime, that's the second time you've used the term Brownshirts.
You're not calling ME a brownshirt, now are you?

As for altruism, you dance around the fact that it requires victims. Liberals throw terms like that around, hoping for approval for their hand-wringing, moist-lipped, clammy-handed, puppydog-eyed LOVE for the poor oppressed. You dance very nicely, BT. I'm sure the CA legislature would love you.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hmmm, the bush supporters say people who want a fair election are whiners and it isn't Bush's job to do anything. They asked why don't the democrats fix florida when florida is controlled by republicans. Isn't that like asking a black man from detroit to fix the education problem of the KKK University of Alabama? The black man has no power to fix the KKK University of Alabama and yet you are asking him to fix it's problems?

Glad to see Kerry doesn't want what happend in 2000 to happen again, unlike Bush. Remember 2000 in florida? "Your name is Joan Smitty who is black, midget, jewish, and a democrat? Well, in the year 1783 a man named John Smith, who was white, 7'4, christian, and a democrat commited a felony, you can't vote."

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
And of course lets not forget that if you were serving your country militarily in 2000 and you had to mail your ballot to vote in Florida every "i" better have had a dot and every "t" had to have been crossed or your vote was thrown out - of course these ballots were by coincidence mainly Bush votes thrown out by those very same lawyers spoken of here.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Altruism =

1. selflessness: an attitude or way of behaving marked by unselfish concern for the welfare of others

2. belief in acting for others� good: the belief that acting for the benefit of others is right and good

I don't know what definition incorporates a victim dynamic.

Brownshirt? YOU, Jsobecky? Naaaaawwwwwwww, you could never be drawn in allegoric measure to those group think-jingoistic-ultra conservative progenators of fascism in the Weimar era of Germany.....not you, you're too open minded for that!

new topics

top topics

join