It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-4 NEACP (The New Looking Glass)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Over the weekend I found an intresting article on America's Top Secret National Emergency Airborne Command Post, in the newest issue of Combat Aircraft . This is truely one of the most secret and amazing aircraft in the US fleet. Here's what I've found:

The National Emergency Airborne Command Post was born in 1960, when the USAF began a study to create a survivable Airborne Command Post, for the National Command athorities to use in war times or a National Emergency. This study was done under the Code Name: Looking Glass(another name for a mirror), because the aircraft's mission would mirror the mission of the nation's ground based command centers. the first aircraft to fill this mission was rebuilt KC-135 that was designated EC-135C. In 1974 the Looking Glass mission was passed to a custom-built military version of the Boeing 747, called the E-4 that is used to fill the Looking Glass Mission today.

Some of the amazing features of the plane include:

-Nuclear flash, thermal, and radiation protective coatings.

-EMP hardened electronics and sheilding

- A multi-spectrum secrue/jam-proof communication system that can link with all military radios, Cellular and land-line phones, civilian TV and radio networks(which can be inturrpted from the plane by activating the Emergency Broadcast System) , SATCOM networks, VLF communication for communicating with submarines.

-A secure computer system that can link into all military computer networks

-72 hour endurance with tanker support

-Airbourn Launch Control System (allows ICBM's anywhere in the US to be launched from on board the E-4, from anywhere in the world using line of sight or SATCOM link.)

-Room for 114 people plus flight crew

-ECM and (Classified) active self defense systems.

Some addition Info on this amazing aircraft can be found Here: E-4 NEACP

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
No Way, a 747 hauling over a hundred people can stay in the air for 3 days!

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Nice its kind of like Air Force one so the US presidents has Two airplanes to chose in times of crisis kool nice find Ghost So the 747 can withstand an EMP from a nuclear blast with its shielding kool this might help our other electronics that might be vulnerable to EMP

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

you might want to go research....

do you know what kind of plane Air Force One is ? Do you know how long it can stay airborne ? Do you know how many people it's capable of carrying for the longest amount of time airborne ?

Why wouldn't it be, that a 747 couldn't do this ? tell us, come on now ?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Air Force One's Tech Specs :

Crew
26 (passenger/crew capacity: 102)

Model
747-200B

Engines
General Electric CF6-80C2B1

Thrust rating
56,700 pounds, each engine

Long-range mission takeoff gross weight
833,000 pounds

Maximum zero fuel weight
526,500 pounds

Design mission zero fuel weight
46,000 pounds

Maximum landing weight
630,000 pounds

Fuel capacity
53,611 gallons

Range
7,800 statute miles

Wing span
195 feet, 8 inches

Length
231 feet, 10 inches

Height
63 feet, 5 inches

Service ceiling
45,100 feet.

as foudn here : www.boeing.com...

so why couldn't the other plane stay airborne for an extended amount of time, I'd still like an explanation.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
With refueling an aircraft can stay airborne for only a couple of days at the most. Thanks to the need to replace parts, place patches thanks to lightning, change oil etc. etc. So even a couple of days is a stretch. At least there useful while there in the air.

E_T

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
About its predecessor and its mission.

www.globalsecurity.org...

The now-deactivated Strategic Air Command (SAC) began the mission on February 3, 1961. It took the nickname Looking Glass because the mission mirrored ground-based command, control, and communications. From that date, a Looking Glass aircraft was in the air at all times 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
so why couldn't the other plane stay airborne for an extended amount of time, I'd still like an explanation.

The reason behind that three day limit has to do with the lubricating oil for the engines. Just like on a car, the oil has to be changed on a regular basis or you risk damaging the engines.

There is also the lack of water after three days that probably factors into the equation.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The 747 NEACP Holds around 114 people, right?

Well a standard 747 holds 568 people.

Thats 1/5th the load of a standard 747. The same fuel load gives it enough thrust and power to go for longer as less fuel is required to generate lift as the aircraft is a whole lot lighter.

Coupled with fuel tweaks and extra tanks I'd believe it could fly for 3 days unrefuelled.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Coupled with fuel tweaks and extra tanks I'd believe it could fly for 3 days unrefuelled.

No, it carries fewer people to make room for the extra equipment that it carries.

Also, it needs to be refueled in the air every 10 hours or so. The exact times are classified, but there is always a tanker standing by to give that plane gas.

[edit on 19/7/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
good points everyone....but back early in this thread it was stated that a 747 could not do it for 3 days, i'm simply saying that it is possible, if needed.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Anything is possbile, and i am sure these are not maintained by Jet Blue employees.

[edit on 19-7-2004 by esdad71]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The Looking Glass is not the E-4B rather the ABNCP of the E-6B.

www.stratcom.af.mil...

[edit on 19-7-2004 by NavyDog]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Originally posted by Murcielago

you might want to go research....

do you know what kind of plane Air Force One is ? Do you know how long it can stay airborne ? Do you know how many people it's capable of carrying for the longest amount of time airborne ?

Why wouldn't it be, that a 747 couldn't do this ? tell us, come on now ?

First of all my bad, I missed the part wear it said with tanker suport.
But second of all you didn't have to answer me with a 10 year old school girl approach.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDog

www.stratcom.af.mil...

I typed what was written in the article. I can Be wrong! The Artical stated that the airborn command post mission was called Looking Glass. This Morning I called the Public Affairs Office of US Strategic Command and asked them which one of us was right. The Rep. said only the E-6B Carries the name Looking Glass. Thanks for setting the record straight. The E-4B is the NEACP and the E-6B is the Looking Glass.

Tim

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost

Originally posted by NavyDog

www.stratcom.af.mil...

I typed what was written in the article. I can Be wrong! The Artical stated that the airborn command post mission was called Looking Glass. This Morning I called the Public Affairs Office of US Strategic Command and asked them which one of us was right. The Rep. said only the E-6B Carries the name Looking Glass. Thanks for setting the record straight. The E-4B is the NEACP and the E-6B is the Looking Glass.

Tim

Giddy up!

The Looking Glass mission is boring but very important.

I didn't mean to sound harsh - good research and topic.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by NavyDog]

new topics

top topics

join