It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Oil may hit $200 if unrest spreads to Saudi-SocGen

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If oil hits $200 per barrel the purchasing power of the American people would be kicked in the teeth so darned hard that they won't have the ability to buy much of anything. Even though 51% of oil used here in the U.S. comes from Western Hemishpere countires. The other 49% is coming from the Middle East or Africa. Many "Big Oil" companies are already profiting freatly from the unrest in the Middle East and Northern Africa.

Do you guys out there on ATS think it is time to open up the strategic oil reserves, or should we hold off as long as we are able to?

$200 per barrel


LONDON, March 7 (Reuters) - Brent crude futures LCOc1 could hit $200 a barrel if political unrest spreads into Saudi Arabia, Societe Generale (SOGN.PA: Quote) said on Monday.
North Sea Brent crude futures were trading about 60 cents higher at around $117 a barrel by 1404 GMT. U.S. crude was around $105.70.

Brent crude has been hovering just below the $119 level hit late in February, its highest price since the third quarter of 2008, as the unrest in Libya has cost the country a loss of about 1 million barrels of crude production per day out of its normal 1.6 million bpd output.

Societe Generale listed some scenarios that could have an impact on oil prices, with its most extreme scenario showing Brent prices sharply high.

"Geopolitical Scenario 3: Unrest spreads to Saudi Arabia and threatens Saudi crude exports and any remaining spare capacity. Brent price range of $150-$200 a barrel," it said in its research note.

"In this most extreme, worst-case scenario for the oil markets, serious unrest spreads to Saudi Arabia. In this case, it does not really matter if Libya or any other producers are shut down or not. Saudi Arabia is OPEC's biggest producer and the world's biggest current holder of spare capacity," the bank added.

Saudi Arabia is the world's top exporter of crude oil, meeting about 10 percent of the global oil demand.

The kingdom has escaped major protests like those that toppled leaders in Egypt and Tunisia, but the wave of unrest has reached its neighbours Yemen, Bahrain, Jordan and Oman.




new topics
 
1

log in

join