It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamps are disbursed at higher allotment than what I spend per month for groceries

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

And how is it that you afford the internet? I'm sure you also pay for a phone and maybe a cable bill of some sort?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow, such folks receiving these stamps are eating way better than I do and I WORK 50-60 hours a week mandatory. So THATS where my paycheck taxes are going, hmmm..

This shouldnt surprise though, me being that the WORKING STIFF always gets the short end of the stick here.

It wouldnt bother me at all if the allowance was less than my food budget, but thats more than what I spend on food.

Darn, almost time to go to work again... And gee, I havent even had the TIME to EAT yet today.

Oh well, SIGH
edit on 7-3-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I work part time in a grocery store. My second job. It is diagusting to see what people buy with their enter cards. I do not qualify and nearly make ends meet.

It sickens me to see the obese buying nothing but junk food and sodas. Half of these large people will use the electric wheel chair things cause they are either too fat or too lazy to walk through the store and push a cart.

Now what really pisses me off are the illegals who are using food stamp benefits. Just because the kid/kids are born here they receice WIC vouchers and food stamps. If they have to show an id it is foreign and they can't/don't/won't speak English. Both the Hispanics and Ukrainians usually have at least three kids with them and are pregnant with another.

I know too many other people who could use these benefits that are hardworking American citizens who are either unemployed or working at whatever they can.

Bottom line...our government's food assistance program is /-×|_|×|_ up.

And they need to take candy, sodas, energy drinks and decorated birthday cakes as well as other bakery and deli items.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by opal13

Meant to say on last paragraph those items should be taken off the list of foods that qualify for the food stamp program.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I have not read all of the replies, so I apologize if someone has already stated this, but I just had to reply to the op right off.

You are looking at this through an extremely narrow lens my friend. You fail to take into account so many factors.

1)In your area, $200 per month may be an adequate budget to feed a family of 2. But that is just in your area. Depending on where one lives, there is a MAJOR fluctuation in cost of certain goods. Just as gas prices are not level in every corner of every state, neither are food prices. And often to a much more drastic degree.

2)You are assuming everyone has access to supermarket pricing, which is simply fallacy.

3)People begged for more oversight in this program. And they got it. But with oversight comes a need for concrete rules. Meaning, while food prices are not constant, benefit payout must be.

There are many other points, but more than anything, I just ask you to step outside of yourself and see that the world is bigger than your neighborhood.

link   
I don't think food stamps are being over-generous at all. I think the average for a single person per month is about $200 from what I looked up. Probably more in certain states where food costs more or is taxed. That's about $6.60 per day. That's nothing. It's not excessive. It's not even really enough.

link   
my brother has to sell his for .50 on the dollar to make his rent.

fortunately he cooks for his roommates so he doesn't go hungry.

not that i would let that happen but i live 1/2 a world away and am unemployed myself.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Interesting, my mom is a disabled, widowed senior citizen who lives on her ssi, which after taxes is about $550 a month. She lives very poorly and cannot afford things most take for granted. She qualified for, get this, $12.00 a month in food stamps. I guess that is her two gallons of milk a month.

So, that is the true "reality" of many in poverty.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
One more thing to add:

To anyone upset about junk food being able to be purchase with SNAP benefits, consider this:

The only way to get them off of the available food list is for the FDA to declare that they are not food. For the same reason that most energy drinks are not available with benefits, as they are labeled as a 'supplement', most candies and soft drinks are considered food.

Do you want the FDA having that much say in what you can or cannot consume? Afterall, if not food, what are these things then? That's right, drugs. And once they are relabeled, it affects EVERYONE.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

If anyone should be getting food it is your mother! Not these women who have no personal responsibilty and pop out kid after kid and get food stamps, etc.
I don't know why taxpayers have to pay for their personal choice to lay up and have kids they can't support.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I personally have seen the food stamp program being abused. But I in no way want to demonize people just because they use food stamps. Food stamps really do prevent people from starving. I know none of us wants to convert to1600 England and have people dying of starvation in the streets before our eyes - especially children!

I dont like watching a woman buying store bought sandwiches at QuikTrip for their kids school lunch! The money would have been better spent on a loaf of bread and a package of bologna.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharintexas

No they shouldn't be getting their nails done...I can't afford to get my nails done. You must be trying to antagonize me, hmmmmm.

Well, recreation is a necessity for mental health for one thing. For another, I know many women who get their stuff done for little or no cost. But no, not trying to antagonize anyone. Just trying to point out how easy it is to jump to false conclusions about someone on Foodstamps.

A small anecdote here. I was with a woman who has two small children, shopping at the supermarket. She paid with Foodstamps for her groceries. The person behind her on line saw her loading the groceries into her car out in the parking lot, a brand new Cadillac Escalade. The person actually had the gumption to start ripping her up and down about using Foodstamps and driving Cadillac.

What that person didn't know is that this young mother had just lost her home to the bank, and that the car had been a Christmas gift from her husband, four months before he was killed in Afghanistan.

(Because he was non-military, no death benefit. She is still fighting with insurance companies. A fight that may take up to ten years and that she only has a 50/50 chance of winning from what I understand.)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

And how is it that you afford the internet? I'm sure you also pay for a phone and maybe a cable bill of some sort?

Negative. My neighbor gave me the password to his network. I have a pre-paid phone that I use strictly for business and emergencies. I do my socializing in person or on the internet. No television here.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Wow, such folks receiving these stamps are eating way better than I do and I WORK 50-60 hours a week mandatory. So THATS where my paycheck taxes are going, hmmm..

This shouldnt surprise though, me being that the WORKING STIFF always gets the short end of the stick here.

It wouldnt bother me at all if the allowance was less than my food budget, but thats more than what I spend on food.

Darn, almost time to go to work again... And gee, I havent even had the TIME to EAT yet today.

Oh well, SIGH
edit on 7-3-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

So quit your job and go on welfare. Don't be a hater.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by opal13

Can't say that I agree with the rest of that post, but I do draw the line at illegals. Anchor-babies or not, they should not be getting and social welfare benefits of any kind.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by opal13

Who decides what is healthy and what is not? Ramen for example, is absolutely terrible for you, but it is the staple of any foodstamp diet because it is so cheap. It is not up to you to judge what the needs of another family might be.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharintexas
reply to post by amazed

If anyone should be getting food it is your mother! Not these women who have no personal responsibilty and pop out kid after kid and get food stamps, etc.
I don't know why taxpayers have to pay for their personal choice to lay up and have kids they can't support.

I have struggled with the same questions all my life. I've seen people abuse food stamps/LoneStar card, and I've seen folks who should have gotten more than they were allowed. Right now, my oldest daughter has 3 children, and is pregnant with twins. Her boyfriend is an illegal immigrant from Honduras. He works 6 days a week and earns $150 + per day off the books cash. My daughter quit her job due to her pregnancy, and will most likely not return to work because daycare is too expensive. She receives $640 a month in food stamps, and around $600 a month in TANF, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. Her boyfriend is not claimed as part of the household, or contributing any money.

I hate that she has put herself in this position. I'm torn because my grandchildren need the help, but my daughter doesn't deserve the help she gets. My wife and I provide clothes, school supplies, and all the incidentals they require. She sells some of her food money to get cash for cigarettes and beer. Then each year she gets back $8000 to $9000 from tax return. Big spending spree, then she's broke, and it starts all over again.

Nobody in my family has ever received assistance, and I don't know where she got this attitude that she is entitled to this. She has learned to play the system, and is content with continuing this way. This, to me, is whats wrong with our system. She doesn't want any help for fear of losing her benefits. This breaks my heart and ticks me off. This system is screwed, and I wish my daughter was not part of the problem.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by opal13
I work part time in a grocery store. My second job. It is diagusting to see what people buy with their enter cards. I do not qualify and nearly make ends meet.

It sickens me to see the obese buying nothing but junk food and sodas. Half of these large people will use the electric wheel chair things cause they are either too fat or too lazy to walk through the store and push a cart.

When I worked as a cashier at walmart many moons ago (never again), I watched at least a 400 lb woman fall over and drop from chest pains, as she tried to get to one of those carts. We called 911 of course, and we had a couple of people helping her. They took her away, and I swear.... the next day, here she comes again, her sister had one of the attendants roll out a chair to the curb so she could get on it and shop. She checked out in my lane, and you know what she bought on her card? Large bags of candy such as snickers, chips, frozen pizzas, gallons of ice cream, box dinners, microwaved dinners, sams choice soda pops, at least 20 of those. I don't judge the woman because of her size, cause believe me, had she come through my lane with all healthy things, I'd have nothing to say about it. It's the fact that people don't care and have given up on themselves. It scares me to see it but it's rampant in this country. I know I'd get flamed for this, but I really think they need to stop allowing people to buy this crap with their cards, and only be able to buy healthy things. Yes I know it's America and we should have freedom to eat junk with. It's just very unsettling to watch the money we work for help another eat crap and kill themselves with it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Once people learn the system they learn to live much better believe me. i live in a city with about 30% unemployment and a used car dealer down the road can't get Escalades and Suburbans in fast enough.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sharintexas

well youse should have a pretty well stocked pantry by now...

i myself bought a bunch of canned goods... shelf life 2 yrs avg....
also a couple gallons of cooking oils & Olive oils that have since skyrocketed up 46% in cost
sacks of rice and such...& i'm doing this off No foodstamps, just my $231. wk pension.

you are being favored by the gods & karma, don't complain

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join