It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A million Libyans need aid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

A million Libyans need aid

news.yahoo.com

In the rebel-held city of Misrata, the wounded were being treated on hospital floors because of a catastrophic shortage of medical facilities in the besieged city, a resident said.

Misrata is the biggest city in the west not under the control of Gaddafi, and its stand against a militia commanded by his own son has turned it into a symbol of defiance.

In the east, warplanes launched air strikes on the rebel-held oil terminal town of Ras Lanuf 600 km (400 miles) east of the capital Tripoli
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
As is always the case it's the civilians who suffer the most.

In the story a U.N. Aid worker said said more than a million people fleeing Libya and just as many are trapped there who are desperate need of everything from food to medical supplies

There is two cities completely cut off, Misrata and Zawiyah, in the western part of Libya and forces loyal to Gaddafi had launched a new attempt to capture Zawiyah

Rebel leader Mustafa Abdel JalilA, has asked for a no-fly zone... But US leaders say The first step would probably be bombing of Libyan air defenses... something Western leaders are anxious to avoid another drawn-out military commitment in the wake of the decade long Iraq and Afghan wars.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Wow, well put. So sad that it's always the innocent that suffer. This is getting out of hand really quick. It seems like such an unnesesary solution to problems but it always goes down like this.
edit on 7-3-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's like you want to do something to help but in the back of your mind you know no matter what aid you send it's still going to get very ugly and who knows where the aid goes ie Haiti. What a wicked world we live in at times.

btw- thank you for your great posts, I love reading what you put up.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
reply to post by DaddyBare

Wow, well put. So sad that it's always the innocent that suffer. This is getting out of hand really quick. It seems like such an unnesesary solution to problems but it always goes down like this.

sadly it cut off the last part of the story quote but where it reads
"warplanes launched air strikes on the rebel-held oil terminal town of Ras Lanuf 600 km (400 miles) east of the capital Tripoli"...

the next line says they bombed a car... a filled with a family, car...

Yup always the innocent who pay for the mistakes of the big shots right

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I will simply reply with 1 billion require aid, 100 million require aid, 100 thousand require aid, 10 thousand require aid, 1 thousand require aid, 1 hundred require aid and 1 person requires aid, him being the person who decided to travel this road without contemplating the reputations.

Are are we to be blamed for this again ?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
35 million Americans use Foodstamps monthly.

/thatsalliwillsay

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Seems to me Gaddafi and Mustafa Abdel JalilA are to blame
because they refuse to call a ceasefire and sit down to talk about things...while their people die...

However if you have a guilt complex you need to assuage then by all means... your to blame too

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by tristar

Seems to me Gaddafi and Mustafa Abdel JalilA are to blame
because they refuse to call a ceasefire and sit down to talk about things...while their people die...

However if you have a guilt complex you need to assuage then by all means... your to blame too

I have no guilt issue for past , present or future decisions i endorse. On the other hand and as obvious as it is, when a blind man calls a bluff you know that things are not going as he/she intended.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Sorry, the bank of US taxpayers is closed. More than 30 million Americans need jobs....more than 35 million receive food stamps....and even more are underemployed and upside down on their mortgage. Those still managing are merely treading water and our legs are tiring more and more as each day passes.

We are funding wars in Afghanistan, financially supporting democracy in Iraq, battling pirates in the Indian, bombing Yemen, pouring aide into Egypt, and single-handedly keeping China's finances sound for the next decade....

We can do no more.

Perhaps it would be bad form to mention that perhaps the people around the world protesting for a better life should actually develop a plan for achieving one instead of simply saying the current system doesn't work. People are throwing their leaders out with nary a replacement or even a figurehead able to communicate and negotiate exactly what the people are asking for.

I'm not saying they deserve to go hungry, deserve to be killed, or anything of the sort. My point is simply that if they don't develop a plan soon it will the US giving them one instead. And in case someone thought this is a good idea, perhaps they should take a tour of Baghdad.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

/thatsalliwillsay

Very true, but I can tell you that hard working people in America hate this just as much and not to mention the unemployment BS. Systems have been designed to be taken advantage of but it doesn't make it right to do it. Each person has the ability to take advantage of others, it's an individual choice that can affect many. If more people did the right thing we wouldn't be in this givaway mess. My own uncle got laid off and refuses to get a job because he's ok with the unemployment and personally I think he's an f-in bastard for not getting a job, he's had offers, and is fully capable and has skills but so many make the lazy choice in life now a days. One can only hope that the suffering they cause others will be returned to them 10 fold.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
My point is simply that if they don't develop a plan soon it will the US giving them one instead. And in case someone thought this is a good idea, perhaps they should take a tour of Baghdad.

Its a done deal, no need to cry over spilt milk. Simply make sure in the following weeks and months be prepared to be in a position to reply to threads and to quote this particular thread with your or my remarks.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

/thatsalliwillsay

How many are in hospitals because they were bombed?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

/thatsalliwillsay

How many live in poverty for decades, is it suddenly the enforcer at fault or is it the very people who were going to election happenings and holding flags under the assumption that they will live a better life. Now that sh1t has hit the fan, suddenly and as pre-defined it is the evil western powers that are at fault by not doing anything.

I would directly like to ask you as to the amount of barrels that Libya exports on a daily basis, multiply that and subtract the cost production, allow the percentage and profit and then divide it by its GDP and then we may have some form of conversation other than, he said, she said, we said.
edit on 7-3-2011 by tristar because: bb and ipad do not mix very well via remote backtrack

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The only people needing Aid are Americans. Entire global economy is going ahead...America's falling back back back.

+50 million in America now on Food Stamps. Half are unemployed. Who gives a rats about Libya

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

/thatsalliwillsay

I believe you are not an American, so I pose this to you. If you are American, I apologize for the incorrect assumption.

Do you feel the US should be continuing to send aid to these countries? Are other countries under the impression that we are only broke by "American" standards? To me, your reply inferred that food stamps were less important than those suffering from being bombed. I'm not arguing that point, I am merely asking for you to clarify it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

/thatsalliwillsay

I believe you are not an American, so I pose this to you. If you are American, I apologize for the incorrect assumption.

Do you feel the US should be continuing to send aid to these countries? Are other countries under the impression that we are only broke by "American" standards? To me, your reply inferred that food stamps were less important than those suffering from being bombed. I'm not arguing that point, I am merely asking for you to clarify it.

I am absolutely saying that people on food stamps are less important that families suffering from being in the midst of an armed conflict. I don't care where either group of people are. And, yes, I am a citizen of the US but it isn't relevant. I am first and foremost a member of the human race. Your nationality does not place you in a different species.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yeah. A million Libyans need aid. Somalians need aid. Afghans need aid. Bolivians need aid.

Let Libya help Libyans, Somalia help Somalians, and so on. And on.

Someone somewhere always needs help.

Too many people.

Too bad.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

But how can you possibly say that starving people -- hence they are on food stamps because they can not afford basic dietary needs -- in our own country are less important than others getting wounded and dying due to no fault of our own?

You can argue that the US instigated the uprisings, but those were not our planes bombing Libya and those are not US actors chanting for freedom.

Do you know how many people die in Africa everyday from starvation and lack of clean drinking water? It makes the deaths in Libya pale in comparison.

We can not take care of the world -- we can not take care of our own people!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

But how can you possibly say that starving people -- hence they are on food stamps because they can not afford basic dietary needs -- in our own country are less important than others getting wounded and dying due to no fault of our own?

You can argue that the US instigated the uprisings, but those were not our planes bombing Libya and those are not US actors chanting for freedom.

Do you know how many people die in Africa everyday from starvation and lack of clean drinking water? It makes the deaths in Libya pale in comparison.

We can not take care of the world -- we can not take care of our own people!

Is this a real question?! Are you really saying that, in order for you to be prompted to help somebody in need, they have to be either in need within your vicinity or they need to be in need because of something you did? You are equating food stamp recipients to war victims.

Some people actually stop to help somebody on the side of the road. Some people send money to people in need. Some people don't require you to be within arm's reach in order to help you.

The rest of you can tell yourselves whatever you want in order to sleep at night but all it sounds like is selfishness. Soon, that way of thinking won't be able to change things and you will be forced to help one another in order to move forward.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join