It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Food Shortage: No Tomatoes in my 7/11????

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I heard dairy products have spiked as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dthwraith
reply to post by youthsavior

I live in Ohio the big grocery stores aren't out of anything right now. 7/11 is out of stuff all the time, well the one in my town is. Cost to much to buy produce there anyways. You pay for that convenience.

I'm in Ohio too, and the Super Walmart near me has been short on beef, bagged lettuce, and frozen potatoes (???) for over a week now. The canned food aisles have been hit pretty hard as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle

And they can't blame Mexico for that one. No excuses on dairy out there at all. Their silence speaks volumes.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

I have been growing tomatoes for about 6 years in Orange County,South California.
And for the last 3 years there has been a tomato virus that has seriously damaged
the crops. I heard it started in Fla and made it to Ca about 3 years ago.
It is spread by the white fly.

Home grown tomatoes are so much better than the factory ones,
at least they used to be.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

I have been growing tomatoes for about 6 years in Orange County,South California.
And for the last 3 years there has been a tomato virus that has seriously damaged
the crops. I heard it started in Fla and made it to Ca about 3 years ago.
It is spread by the white fly.

Home grown tomatoes are so much better than the factory ones,
at least they used to be.

Have you found anything to ward the fly off or to slow down the virus? Have your plants been total losses, or has it been taking out only a percentage of your crops?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
Sorry, i was unaware of 7/11's vast produce section

I notice this at least once a year lately at fast food joints. They are not cost effective to put on a sandwich or burger

The above statement says it all and I could not agree more, we don't want to hurt the bottom line now do we boy's?
Here In Ontario there are tons of so-so tomatoes and lots of great lettuce.
I don't see the problem here at all and I think there are more pressing issues right now besides weather we can buy tomatoes and lettuce.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
yesterday at food4less the tomatoes looked like hell, surprised they even bothered to put them out. had a sign behind them saying due to weather the crop isn't up to thier standard. went to albertsons and the tomatoes looked great, though a small tomato ran me well over $1.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Work at a Giant Eagle In SW PA. The Toms looked like crap the last few days, and the prices have been steadily increasing almost daily on just about everything in the store which never happens. Have been getting Price tags sent in almost every other day. One of our managers even stated that a few items may be a scarce as the Pumpkin was a couple years back. Weird but ........

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think I could go a whole year, or ten, without a tomato... I wouldn't like it, but I sure wouldn't starve either.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1curious1

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think I could go a whole year, or ten, without a tomato... I wouldn't like it, but I sure wouldn't starve either.

This isn't just about the tomato, though. It's more like a tip-of-the-iceberg, look at things to come, sort of thing. Again, others have mentioned the rising prices of things like lettuce, potatoes, dairy, etc. In my other thread on this (link posted earlier in this one) I mentioned how farmers in the SW US are staring at the possibility of another dust bowl.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Same thing in Canada but it looks like late frost caused the tomato shortage.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This isn't just about the tomato, though. It's more like a tip-of-the-iceberg, look at things to come, sort of thing. Again, others have mentioned the rising prices of things like lettuce, potatoes, dairy, etc. In my other thread on this (link posted earlier in this one) I mentioned how farmers in the SW US are staring at the possibility of another dust bowl.

A bit extreme I think, prices have always been rising if ever so gently but there are no shortages and people still shop for what they want and when they want.
I think it comes down to do we have fast food tonight or do we home cook.
Here In Ontario it's not even hard to say stir fry , versus Mcd,s ...5 pounds of carrots is the same price as a Big Mac.

I will admit that the milk/dairy prices here are going up real fast and real high but Milk is still cheaper than soda/pop, or almost all vegetables here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I got brain freeze..hehe. Like your comment
I have read many articles, even on AOL, stating many crops lost, especially Southern U.S. and Mexico last month or so with the sever cold, Florida produce seemed to be affected also.

Another point that gets lost. The price of oil affects them also with farm equipment and traansportaion. someone will take it in the shorts and it will be the consumers. I still can't figure out how Ben and the Fed discount oil for inflation.
edit on 7-3-2011 by mugger because: add

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle

And they can't blame Mexico for that one. No excuses on dairy out there at all. Their silence speaks volumes.

Dairy farmers here are happy though!

Dairy prices have been going up for a year or 2 now - here's an article from 2007 - www.npr.org...

Note the causes include a quota system for Europe's dairy production - so yes there's a conspiracy there - the goddamned agricultural subsidy/support conspiracy that the US, Europe and Japan are all a part of!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yup.. Some of the fast food places in my area are out, or they are available upoin request. They dont say shortage though in the sense of not enough, but shortage due to weather in some of their growing regions.

I have seen this occur a few times over the last 10 years. Nothing sinister but just bad weather at times.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well i lived in the border with mexico and they dont let u bring produce accross the border ,and here in usa i see most of all produce in boxes is from mexico.[?????]The kilo of tomato is .50 cts in the border but u cant bring tomato to usa.AND ALL PRODUCE IS ORGANIC IN MEXICO.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rocha123

LOL! Ya, organic alright! They caused the Spinach outbreak a couple of years ago, because they were fertilizing with human sewage! That is a little "too" organic for me.

I get what you are saying though, why can the import it, but you can't bring it across the border? That doesn't make any sense.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I was going through the drive-thru at Wendy's a few weeks ago and noticed a sign taped to the speaker where you order that said something along the lines of "Due to national shortage, tomatoes are available by request only."

I didn't put much thought into it at the time, as what I was ordering didn't have tomatoes on it anyway. Pretty weird though, now that I think about it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sykickvision
Burger King told us (the other day) that there was a freeze in Mexico, so they didn't have any tomatoes. Mexico? Really? They don't have a "Plan B" for potential produce crises?

Mexico is the "Plan B". Normally they buy them from FL & CA and make up any shortage caused by freezing or storms by getting them from Mexico. Mexico had enough freezing to damage a significant part of their crop this year though.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
In Australia the other day an Iceberg lettuce was $4.98, 3L of milk is $5.65, Bananas are $8.98 a kilo. Our dollar is worth the same as yours at the moment too. Just thought I'd tell you its happening everywhere. We had shortages big time through the floods. No milk for 10 days, no bread for longer, no wait you could line up for half a loaf, at a bakery, if you had 2 hours to kill. Its pretty hard when they make us live like this, then can't deliver the goods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join