It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Students Who Skip School Tracked By GPS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hey, don't remember seeing this posted up. This is an article I came across today, it's too old to post in breaking news but I thought it'd probably appeal to the NWO conspiracists.

Original Article

ANAHEIM — Frustrated by students habitually skipping class, police and school officials in Anaheim are turning to GPS tracking to ensure they come to class.

The Anaheim Union High School District is the first in California to test Global Positioning System technology as part of a six-week pilot program that began last week, officials said.

Seventh- and eighth-graders with four unexcused absences or more this school year are assigned to carry a handheld GPS device, about the size of a cell phone.

Each morning on schooldays, they get an automated phone call reminding them that they need to get to school on time. Then, five times a day, they are required to enter a code that tracks their locations – as they leave for school, when they arrive at school, at lunchtime, when they leave school and at 8 p.m.

The students are also assigned an adult coach who calls them at least three times a week to see how they are doing and help them find effective ways to make sure they get to class on time.

I'm sure there are much more advanced versions of this equipment that have already been developed, its just an odd prospect that they're forcing kids to use them. And for four unexcused absences - harsh! I would never have agreed to type in my co-ordinates for my school five times a day when I was a kid. The following statement raised a few questions for me:

Students and their parents volunteer for the monitoring as a way to avoid continuation school or prosecution with a potential stay in juvenile hall.

Why would this be necessary to avoid prosecution or a potential stay in juvenile hall? Is skipping school a massively illegal in the US? I kind of understand if its a state school, but if its a private one then I don't see why they'd be so harsh about it. Even if its a state school, whats the point in a school that is more concerned about its own financial well-being than that of the kids? The kids are still paying for it in the end, through tax! I think it's quite the intrusion of privacy, imagine if they started introducing the system on a larger scale. Or even the potential other applications of this policy, if its ok to use in schools then where else might they use it?

Thought it'd be an interesting article to share, not a huge deal on its own but could be in light of the NWO microchipped vaccine theories etc. Some may argue that this is another step in the desensitisation of the public with regards to the idea of being microchipped with a tracking device. They start with punishing naughty prisoners, then naughty kids, then mischievous ones, then perhaps it becomes the norm to be microchipped 'for your own good'.. The only reason they don't attach the device to kids is because they know it wouldn't hold up at the moment.

What is most shocking is that 75 of the students at Dale and South junior high are currently taking part in the programme. So are they implying that 75 of their students are in severe need of discipline or on the verge of joining gangs (which they've implied absence from school is a precursor to)? Apparently the measure is their 'last chance at intervention', these kids aren't much older than 13. And once again, FOUR unexcused absences! The most common sense I've seen here so far is a kids reasoning for why he skips school:

'"Sometimes I'm sick and, other times, I just don't feel like going,"

Doesn't sound too irrational to me. Hey, when I was a kid I would do anything to get out of school, I'm just lucky my mother could see through my illness bluffing. What about the kids who bunk off all the time but have their parents call in saying 'oh yeh hes sick today'? It's a dumb system to be honest, if the kids parents don't care then tracking the kid down while he's at school makes no difference except making them a bit sneakier.

Anyway, I think it's too far to treat kids like this - it's not military academy and you can't coerce someone into behaving in a certain manner, you must uproot the underlying psychological cause. I.e. they have to want to go to school themselves otherwise this is pointless, it'll just get them depressed. Have fun discussing.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Is it not obvious public schools are the starting point for control??

this is just the first step in taking over our lives to the point of total control.. a brave new world

Do you guys see the problem even allowing public schools to exist??

if the government controls it..... they write permanent propaganda in the minds of the next generation....

now they want to police the youth to the mental programming camps (school) to make them more submissive and show submission to their government masters otherwise meet the wrath of uncooperation

edit on 8-3-2011 by doommarine3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2011 by doommarine3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The kids that skip school will be the ones who object to being tracked,tagged and released,of course the nerdlings and the brown noses will agree but they will be at school anyway, probably in the library .Pointless waste of satellite time that could be better used looking for lost kittens .

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There should be a better thing. How bout a remote C4 detonator on the kids if they stray too far on school grounds it explodes. Or maybe a electric shock mechanism. I think kids will definitely not skip school then. This is not good enough.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I would not allow my child to sign up for such a "program". This is only the beginning, its only a matter of time before every one of us may have devices such as credit cards, passports etc which will have GPS tracking chips in them, so our governments can track and trace us as they please.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I always get very confused about this truancy stuff and it being illegal.

When I was in school I skipped class quite often, more than a few times a month. When caught they sent a letter home to the parents which had to be signed and returned. I got in trouble at home, by my parents. Not the damn school or state.

The government and the public need to GTFO of our private lives. If a kid is skipping notify the parents, and it's their right to choose how to deal with this.

Just so ridiculous.....

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I think this is more protecting against assault and kidnapping and other criminal things.

But, if not...

My parents made me go to school. I never called in sick when I wasn't. I did my homework.

I think if the aim is to discipline these students, it's pointless because they're not achievers.

Some students will never be. But they still grow up to hold jobs and have children. What's funny to me is I know of classmates who showed up on time and did their homework who STILL grew up to fail! And there're those kids who ddin't show up and went to alternative and STILL grew up to at least have jobs! Give me a break. It's overzealous school staff that want more control.

I could see this being useful for certain situations, but not just to discipline a F student.

They need to understand not everyone achieves. We need jobs for them, not prisons. But alas, we like to ship our low wage jobs overseas and cut corners for the sake of the top earners. We like to pretend that this has no negative effect. But it does! We're excellent liars. Nothing is free!

It seems like in recessions the rich buy up more assets, more draconian laws are passed, but most of this is just an overactive and selfish response to an economic process that's beyond our control and cannot be blamed on a single factor. When things are bad, though, reason is exempt.

What's dumb about it's that in the future we WILL respond better and we'll give all of the credit to the draconian laws and the top earners even though it was our knowledge and capabilities that were the actual reason for the observed recoveries. But try telling that to our future selves.

Don't forget to bow down to the draconian laws and top earners. Show your respect!

The next time you fall down and scrape your knee, don't forget that some things just... happen. We cannot always pat ourselves on the back for a recovery. Sometimes recovery just happens too! I know that sounds too good to be true, but it's! We can't always thank ourselves. We need more humility than that. Additionally, we're in this together and cannot leave a person behind or abandon our brothers and sisters. This universe is far larger than us, we should never forget that. But I think we sometimes think we're the center of everything. There's more in the universe than just us.
edit on 8-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join