It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need more MPG's!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
XL5

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Without buying something smaller you could do a bunch of things. Inflate the tires a bit over the listed amount, so if it says 28PSI, pump em to 30PSI. Accelerate/deccelerate slowly. Pre heat the gas, get the flame front to swirl and fill the cylinder.You could also try to use ozone (O3) on the intake since its more reactive.

IMO the best is biofuel in a small diesel car.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

Yes it is a fact that if you can find straight unleaded without the 10 to 15% ethanol put in you will gain mileage.

The reason why is simple, Ethanol on a per liter basis only generates around two thirds the number of btu's an equivelant measure of straight 85 octane will produce. so when you work it out each liter of ethanol is the equivelant of .66 liters of gasoline for actual energy available from combustion.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
A couple of years ago we toured England and Wales in a rented Ford Ka. I kept track of the MPG. We averaged 53 MPG. I totally enjoyed the car while I was there.

But knew it would never work in the US. It was far too small for Americans. Barely a 2 ½ passenger size. With 2 adults and travel luggage it worked. But Mom, Dad and two kids and little league gear wouldn’t fit. We felt safe over there but the average size of autos are much smaller and SUVs are not that popular. If you put it on US expressways you might feel like you were riding in a wheel chair amongst autos.

I had an interesting thought on the way to work this morning.
What ever happened to the 100 MPG carburetor conspiracy?
It seems like it finally died. I guess people woke up one morning and realized it never existed.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
no.. now its a 200 mpg carburetor conspiracy

i tried to find the article on popular mechanics website, but awhile back they talked about these new companies building experimental cars, and towards the end they had like a readers submissions section. one guy used tape on all the seams of his little honda crx and also made a Plexiglas wedge for the front lol claimed to get 60 mpg out of it... but that just might be overkill for something that's already good on gas

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
As a poster already stated check air pressure, also you can change your air filter. Depending on the environment where you drive you may not need such a restrictive breather filter. Also look and see if there is a chip available that will fine tune your car to your habits. An old friend of mine and his dad patented an item a few years back and were planning on manufacturing it but gas prices dropped and I think they let it die on the shelf. I am not sure as we are longer friends. However I will tell you what it is and do with it what you will. All I know is they planned on calling the company venture technologies I believe. All it is a venture that goes into the tail pipe of your car or truck. I never saws one. I know that you have to have a pipe that is strait out of the back to accommodate it. He tells me they got massive increases in mileage. Well if memory serves nearly 50 mpg’s out of a Camry on a 200 hundred mile trip. His dad is pretty old (has to be his son is 51) so I don’t think manufacturing interests him as much as tinkering.

Ah yes the good ole days. My first car 1986 Honda Civic Dx Never less than 42 mpg never better than 49. The Civic would leave my buddies and their hot rods in the dust as soon as a corner came up. Not to. Mention it was quite respectable from light to light; a good shift and a quick pedal and I sometimes would beet the v8’s. A guy that I worked with had the CRX version and could run circles around me (never beat him once) and he got well above 50 MPG’s My Next new car was a Chevy Sprint that got about 55t mpg if driven right. Although I totaled it hitting a parked car at about 25 miles per hour. A few years ago I bout another old Civic DX 4 door sedan. Drove it until it blew up, got a steady 46 mpg every where she went, too bad she was built to 55 and not 70, I would still be driving it. Rusty and ugly as she was I would be laughing all the way past the gas station. Now drive a 6 cylinder truck that gets 19mpg no matter what I do. Sure have come a long way eh? I still remember like yesterday when you would look under the hood of the Honda and the vacuum hose maize, and how they said just wait when they start putting computers in them they will get way better mileage, wonder what ever happened? I like any thinking human believe it way past time to keep depending on such a poor source of transportation, it is so inefficient to be insane and no amount of tweaking will ever make the internal combustion engine safe or efficient if it is burning oil.

They are just playing the end game money grab. Their time is up and they know it.

Have a good day all.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If you read my other posts you will find that I a m a sincere person, not one to weave a tall tell. I thought I would just mention that because what I am about to tell you is very strange, and I probably wouldn't believe it either, except that my dad told me this and he is absolutely a trust worthy man.

Well here goes nothing.

I grew up near Charlotte nc, in a town called rock hill sc. It's about 20 min south of Charlotte. Well my dad and his buddies were really into racing, like NASCAR, even before it was NASCAR. They would go to races in Lancaster sc, which is where there is a dirt track, kind of a minor league race track, but still taken very seriously. If I'm not mistaken it is still in operation.

Anyway.one of my dads buddies came up with a carburetor that supposedly made race cars get incredible mpg, while keeping their speed. My dad said it was something like 60 mpg.

Here is where it gets weird. I can't remember his name, but I want to say Guy was it. After some huge successes, someone showed up at his house and bought the the carburetor, all parts and any drawings and such for what my dad called a heap of money. His friend moved away, I'm guessing because he had the money to, and I'm also guessing that this carburetor was locked away somewhere.

This was in the late 50s, early 60s.
That is all I know of the story.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

There are many ways to increase mileage, most involve some works, and parts, but for now, here is some advice. Unload your car of all of the junk in there, back seat and truck area. Pump your ties up to 40-45 pounds psi, especially the drive wheels. Keep it clean! Keep it tuned up! See here for a gas saver that you can get cheap and install yourself at home:

Turn Your Car/Truck Into a HHO/Gas Hybrid

posted on 6/13/10 @ 01:43 PM by autowrench:
"We ran a controlled test yesterday, and pulled down a cool 30 mpg with a 350 Chevy V-8 in a 4300 pound van on a hilly up and down highway with some city driving. Before the HHO generator was installed, we were lucky to get 15 mpg on a good day. I am saving for an engine rebuild, and an installation of older cylinder heads and a carburetor/HEI ignition system. With this set up, and a bigger reactor of course, we can run on just the HHO and no gas at all, except maybe for a cold start. I wish everyone would do this, I am thinking of building retrofit units and teaching a class on how to install and configure one. On ANY car you get an instant 10% increase off the bat. Anything wrong with that? You can also get a tax credit for running a hybrid vehicle."

These little devices cost a little over $100 for the reactor and MAP enhancer, money well spent. This is not for the lazy person, the mix needs to be changed every few days, and after a long trip. The HHO don't not replace gasoline, it enhances the gasoline to near 100% efficiency.

The science people will tell you that these do not work, but I beg to differ, they do in fact work. Mine is saving me $200 a month in gasoline.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

had a friend set one up on his explorer a while back.. seemed to do alright, said he got 5 more mpg.. but his canister was fairly small, so maybe thats why.

i had been thinking about a more permanent looking system, perhaps replacing the gas tank of a car with a generator about the same size, and a way to either draw the gas in via vacuum or maybe some type of mini in-line air pump in place of the fuel filter, and a small fuel cell in the trunk for start ups

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yesterday I read a post, which had a link to this:
Pee power could fuel hydrogen cars

I copied it off and sent it out to my friends who are running a HHO generator on their vehicles. But I couldn't stop thinking about it. Especially this part right here:

Botte recognized that urine contains two compounds that could be a source of hydrogen: ammonia and urea. Place an electrode in wastewater, apply a gentle current, and voila: hydrogen gas that can be used to power a fuel cell.

Natural Electrolytes. So, being an experimenter from the word go, I got the boys in our house together, got a one gallon plastic milk jug, and we made a plan. Bu morning we had a gallon, and I began testing. The urine alone produced HHO, not a great deal, but some. I added a tea spoon of baking soda and it increased production my 100%. So, dumped that mix, and got the next one ready. This time I heated it on the stove to an almost boil. Then I added two table spoons of the Arm & Hammer to it, stirred it in until dissolved, and hooked it up to power. This Electrolyte mix was producing way, way more that before, using distilled water and soda, with a little lemon juice. We haven't tested the mileage yet, but I drove it to town and back, a 20 mile round trip, and the gas gauge didn't move a bit. It's still cold here, so we have to mix in 10-15% denatured alcohol to prevent freezing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join