It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Dr Hawass Resigned

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thank Gawd! Now we won't be subjected to a second season of History Channel's Chasing Mummies.

Perhaps his successor will be a bit more transparent.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

yep, people are so anxious to get rid of hawass, and the idea that egypt might be liberating itself,
they often don't notice the implications of the rest of the info.

this proves that revolutions are not always as glamorous as people think. (french revolution, people were killing infants, children, old people, sick people, and anybody who couldn't defend themselves. and not just kiling, they were disemboweling them, beheading them, just right out in the streets or in their homes. so it is not a surprise that a revolution, even in our modern age, spirals down into destruction of 3000+ year old artifacts.
edit on 7-3-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Thank Gawd! Now we won't be subjected to a second season of History Channel's Chasing Mummies.

Perhaps his successor will be a bit more transparent.

I'm pretty sure the show's rating took care of that for us, LOL.

Another reason he may be leaving is that he may be seen as a remnant of the old regime, making himself a target for reprisals. I think you'll see that a lot of professionals will bug out when the SHTF.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
i don't think mr hawass has many friends here at ATS but reading what he wrote makes me feel sorry for him in a way.
like you've all said it must be heartbreaking to work for something all your life then have it taken away by looters,when i first heard of the raids i was annoyed,such a rich history destroyed by idiots

hopefully somebody else will come in & start something that we'll all be a part of,i feel there are a few more huge discoveries still out there somewhere in egypt

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Easy. His chief supporter/backer is gone. I remember one TV show recently where he indicated, at least indirectly, that he had gained an extension of time/waiver from the President from his soon to be mandatory retirement. With Murbarak gone, he was either told that option was null and void, or assumed it would be soon and decided to retire.

edit on 3/7/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
if they don't care enough about their own history to protect it, what are the odds anyone else will ever get permission to visit the sites again? think of all that ancient history, in the hands of people like the muslim brotherhood, who still think
women are inferior, stupid, evil, sluts, who must be covered from head to toe, and stoned to death if they are raped.

kiss ancient egyptian history good bye!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Unfortunately, I think you are right.
2nd.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Also don't fotget. He is the one who forced many families from there homes and destroyed them and said it was to protect artifacts. Im sure those families would like to get a hold of him. He ran around as if he was dictator of egypt.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
who's to say that he himself didn't take some of these for his own collection, and is blaming thieves for the looting. in a few years in some far way location, he will be able to discreetly sell them for a handsome profit. like a previous poster said...it is odd that he would suddenly resign without trying to save them. the hands of misdirection move swiftly.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm shocked.

Truly shocked, utterly irreplaceable artefacts and links to our ancient past are being lost and damaged and people on this forum are excited about the possibility that a chamber that may or may not exist might be found

Is this how you guys want your archaeology to be carried out? By vandals and looters?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
who's to say that he himself didn't take some of these for his own collection, and is blaming thieves for the looting. in a few years in some far way location, he will be able to discreetly sell them for a handsome profit. like a previous poster said...it is odd that he would suddenly resign without trying to save them. the hands of misdirection move swiftly.

we'll find out when we learn whether or not students and tourists will be allowed back in to see the historic sites there.
and just like in the case of the artifacts from the museum in baghdad, artifacts were returned from the people who looted them/sold them, to the museum, but there are still alot of missing artifacts.

people are now buidling their homes on top of excavations. although i agree that forcing them out of their homes is wrong and that this may have been the impetus for their choice to build there, the fact these have been proven to be archaeological treasure troves, and then to build on top of them anyway, denotes just how much interest these people have in their own history.

egypt isn't just about the people who live there now, as historically, people from many parts of the world have lived and ruled there. it's a world historical site.

edit on 7-3-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
lt would be truely sad if it is true that lootings are taking place and artifacts being stolen, lF such things are taking place. l for myself do not trust Hawass one bit and l will have to see proof first before l believe what he is telling.
edit on 7-3-2011 by gnostician because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I for one will be glad to see the back of this charlaton, if only it were true, like a bad smell this man will be back. Im sure Hawass and his crew are responsible for the systamatic looting that has taken place, obscuring the past and hiding vital evidence from the true scholars and people searching for the truth. wheres boondock with his tote? Hawass to be re-instated before the end of the year 2/1? lol

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If you check google maps here you will be able to see how close the homes are to dig sites. And before you say well they should protect the artifcats. There are artifacts all over Egypt due to the size of the empire the ancient Egyptians had. So do we tell them Egypt itself is now a artifact and all Egyptians must leave there contry?

maps.google.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Love him or hate him, Hawass was a passionate defender and protector of Egyptian antiquities.

How are you going to have "disclosure" now, when thieves are smashing up and selling off those irreplaceable pieces of ancient history to private collectors and the black market?

I'm sure a lot of people like the idea of Hawass leaving, but not under these circumstances, if anything Egyptology needs him right now more than ever. Once these items are looted, you'll never see of hear of them again, illicit private collections and the thieves who supply these markets are not partial to "disclosure".

Imo, it's better to be sold off to the black market or private collectors than be taken away in government hands. We all know what happens when ancient artifiacts/knowledge is discovered and it contradicts known history and/or the way we have become to live our lives today... The government in power would never let something like that be publically known, let alone exist. For all we know, it being destroyed is probably the best bet if it ends up in Government hands.

I'd gladly go with private collector and it ending up on a fireplace mantel. At least then, it will still exist and will be taken care of. Then when the original owner dies, we can hope the grandson will accidently discover it and come out to the public along with it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
If you check google maps here you will be able to see how close the homes are to dig sites. And before you say well they should protect the artifcats. There are artifacts all over Egypt due to the size of the empire the ancient Egyptians had. So do we tell them Egypt itself is now a artifact and all Egyptians must leave there contry?

maps.google.com...

i agree, but once a site is under excavation, building on top of it, is akin to deliberate obfuscation.
i'm concerned that rome is using fundamental islam to destroy ancient sites, to hide extremely important information that would literally change the face of the planet. and ancient egypt is loaded with
world changing information. i believe the people who hawass forced out of their homes, should be adequately compensated for their sacrifice (if they havent been already), but to rebuild right on top of the dig, is just wrong

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Oh no, you have the muslim brotherhood and Islam all wrong. They would Never destroy or distort archeological evidence to further their own agenda!

At least no more than any other religious system would.

Note to MODs: we really need a toungue in cheek emoticon.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Good, there no big loss there. This dude Hawazz contribute painfully to the ancient culture research. He twisted facts to suit the ex-regime needs and refutation. Now that he is gone - for good.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
Is this how you guys want your archaeology to be carried out? By vandals and looters?

Nope but Hawass had an infuriating method... like finally letting us see the secret tunnel at the Osiron at Abydos and then leaving us hanging at the end

Same thing (the looting) of sites in Iraq has been going on since we declared war... errr started that Freedom movement. The major sites there are laced with pot holes now. Who knows what was lost...

Heritage Lost Looting of archaeological sites continues in Iraq

And the amount of gold artifacts that were molten down by Sadam's cronies is even worse...

The Secret of Nimrud - JIACG Recovers Treasures of Nimrud

Maybe we should send in elite CIA/Black Ops teams to collect that stuff... for safe keeping
like JIACG - Joint Interagency Coordination Group for example

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
So do we tell them Egypt itself is now a artifact and all Egyptians must leave there contry?

MARVELOUS IDEA
and Iraq too. Errrr... isn't that why we are in Iraq?

Yup we need that 'tongue in cheek' emoticon

edit on 7-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join