It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim v. Christian activism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I keep hearing here in the US that Muslims are brainwashed, and still live in medieval times. But I'm wondering how can it be that countries with a large Muslim demography show tremendous civil courage, oppose their tyrants, and fight for democracy? Meanwhile we (US) keep watching "American Idol" and let our "leaders" and bankers go unpunished ... ???

Just asking ...
edit on 7-3-2011 by AllIsOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

For starters, this is a very recent phenomenon...

Personally, I've lived in the Middle East, so I've got at least some perspective on this. I don't think they are "brainwashed". For them, religion isn't just a "part" of their lives, it is an intrinsic part of who they are. Also, the average Muslim (at least those I met), are far more concerned about local events and family events, than they are with political or world events. Often, they are ignorant of things happening outside of their own local village, town, or city. I don't mean ignorant in a bad sense, but that they simply aren't aware of it...doesn't interest them, and TVs aren't really a big part of life (and if you saw the channel choices you'd know why), and radios are mostly for music.

I'll also state that most are very kind, tolerant, and even generous. Indeed, hospitality is a big part of their culture. Thing is, it's the radicals that get all the press... The average Muslim is just like you or me. They want happiness for their family, want to live a productive life, etc. Political idealism is more for younger Muslims and/or those in more urban and advanced cities, etc. Even then, the majority would rather go in and lock their doors, than riot in the streets.

As for we Americans...what would you have us do? Riot in the streets? We have a system for getting rid of those in power that we feel are hurting our nation. If we don't use it (vote), then we kind of get what we deserve, no? Check into the voter turnout for local elections (in my area recently, it was 10%) or for national elections (more like 40% in a good year).... There is a tool in place. We need to USE it better...and not just go for the two big candidates THEY put out there.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for your comment!

join