It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Believe I Can Be A Faithful Christian But Not Religious?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
First I have to say I consider myself a devout, conservative Christian. To me, this means I have accepted Jesus as Christ, that He died for my sins, and by that acknowledgment and confessing my sins I have been saved from eternity in hell. Admittedly, it becomes somewhat cumbersome and the details can be interpreted differently at every step. As I said, this is MY belief.

Unfortunately, there is a great deal of venom spewed by such cults as the Westboro supposed church that brings condemnation on all people of faith. In no way do I believe they represent Christ, Christianity, and in fact I would go so far as to say it appears they embody all that the bible calls false.

Since I am steadfast and devoted to my faith in God and Christ, I must confess it sometimes offends me that ATS has so many posts and threads that are virulently anti-religion. I am working on my personal tolerance.

Hence the question. Do you believe I can retain my faith and Christian values yet not be labeled "religious"?. Until now I absent mindedly assumed they were the same, but are they? Is "religion" a man-made term? Does religion = faith, morality, heritage, ethnicity, belief, etc?

I respect anyone's right to disagree, but I have a right to expect the same acceptance in return.

Wish I could have narrowed the subject matter better, but there are pages and pages and pages of observations and questions here so I will leave it there. I offer the subject as a civil discussion, and I request the same as mentioned above. Thanks for input.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
well if you ask my father
he wil tell you no
you have to go to church every sunday
then i say jesus never said that
an a heated argument begins

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
There will always people that associate God with religion...

Just follow christs teachings, love one another as you love your self...thats all it means to be a christian.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
People need to stop classifying themselves into a denomination of religion if they don't consider themselves as one of the organized followers. I wouldn't call you a christian, I would just call you spiritual... Call yourself whatever you want, your obviously devout in your faith and I am sure your God/Savior would see that...

But thats just my opinion, I am sure if you asked a preacher from your faith he might not agree...

In my mind "religion = followers of the church organization" and you display personal belief, which is better in my opinion. Afterall, didn't your God say that he would rather people worship him in a closet then out on street corners. Belief is supposed to be a personal relationship with God... Religion makes it seem so impersonal.
edit on 7/3/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/3/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

All religion is, is a collection of people who have the same faith, so my answer is yes you can. So you have faith, it is up to you to join the others.
edit on 7-3-2011 by pandapowerjamie because: Added more.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The Cross in my Pocket

I carry a cross in my pocket
a simple reminder to me
of the fact that I am a Christian
no matter where I may be.

This little cross is not majic
nor is it a good luck charm
it isn' t meant to protect me
from every physical harm.

It's not for identification
for all the world to see
it's simply an understanding
between my Saviour and me.

When I put my hand in my pocket
to bring out a coin or key
the is there to remind me
of the price he paid for me.

It reminds me too to be thankful
for my blessings day by day
and to try to serve him better
in all that I do and say.

It's also a daily reminder
of the peace and comfort I share
with all who know my Master
and give themselves to His care.

So, I carry a cross in my pocket
reminding no one but me
that Jesus Christ is the Lord of my life
if only I'll let him be.
edit on 7/3/2011 by teapot because: title

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Of course you can be a Christian and reject "Religion". When Christ was alive and walking the streets of Jerusalem 2,000 years ago He mocked and condemned the "religious" folks the most. Calling them "hypocrites".

Watch the short video in my sig about hating religion.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

SamStone11 Yes I believe You Can. I too think we should all Treat All others as we want to treated. Do Favors for someone to repay a favor done by another.
I have always Believed Jesus Died for us. I have belief in a Higher Power. I do NOT think going into a building to practice my Faith should be necessary. I, as a youngster who had to go to church every Sunday, always thought it was like a sideshow, display time to show others like, OK Here I am. Yes but my don't you look nice today, etc., blah blah blah blah.
I also never understood why they all gathered on Sunday. afterall, isn't Saturday actually the 7th Day of the week, the Day of Rest, The Day that should be kept Holy? Sunday is the First Day of the Week on Calanders. Isn't that saying something?! LOL!! Sunday, to my understanding was the day for Worshipping the Sun, (Hence, 'SunDay') in Pagan Rituals. Doesn't Satan work in mysterious ways to fool the people of God? Like saying AMEN at the end of prayers is actually giving credit to that prayer to AMEN,(AMAN) One of The Egyptian Gods or something like that? Ever noticed the UpSide Down Cross around the Neck of the Pope? Also on Chairs, on wall plaques, etc. Creepy if ya ask me.
Ok Sorry to be rambling on here, so......
SamStone 11 keep up the Good Life. It is rewarding now, and will be Rewarded in the End. Later, Syx.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

If you think about it, it was Jesus himself who established religious hierarchy. The apostles and disciples are perfect examples of an organized group. It was intended from the start that people should come together as a religion. To be a Christian would be to follow Christ as his disciples did as his Apostles did. Faithfully. this would be religious. I guess your answer would be no.

new topics

top topics

join