It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Kabbalah. On Esoteric “Secrets.” A Luciferian Perspective. On the Prophet of the New Aeon

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I think we have found the root of the problem

I don't see how, you asked for facts, you got them, you may review my last posts.

yea, either that or the multiple translators I used to find that you are more wrong than a football bat.

Yeah your classic Latin translators not Arhaic OL, "We found the problem" Annus is a classical Latin
terminology, at best to the very end of the BC era where AD starts.

en.wiktionary.org...
First attested in 1658, from Latin anus (“ring, anus”), from Proto-Indo-European *ano- (“ring”).

Like I said

edit on 27-5-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Latin

[edit]Etymology
The etymology of an is very obscure.
[edit]Conjunction
an (interrogative)
(introduces questions expecting negative answer or further question) can it be that
An refert, ubi et in qua arrigas?
Does it make any difference to me who made you horny, or when?
whether
or, either
Vide utrum vis an...
Consider whether you want to or...
[edit]Usage notes
Used with utrum (“whether”) in the construction utrum...an (“whether...or”):
Nescio quid intersit, utrum nunc veniam, an ad decem annos.
I know not what matter it is, whether I come now or after ten years.

from your source above.

Latin

[edit]Etymology
From Proto-Indo-European *hₐet-nos-, from *hₐet- (“to go”). Cognate with Gothic 𐌰𐌸𐌽 (aþn, “year”), Sanskrit अटति (aṭati, “he goes”)
[edit]Pronunciation
IPA: /ˈan.nus/
[edit]Noun
annus (genitive annī); m, second declension
year  [quotations ▼]
Annos habere quattuor.
To be four years old.
Habet annos viginti.
He is twenty years old.
Abhinc duo annos.
Two years ago.
time; season

also from your source above.

I don not know any other way to put this.

"an" means or and "annus" means year.

seriously, I cannot understand how you can be this dense. You are a troll. You are intentionally trolling me an everyone else who has commented to you about this. This kind of childish behavior is beyond irritating. Grow up, get out of your mom's basement, and quit trolling ATS.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Yes that is for Annos that meant year later influenced, it's what you don't understand, so I'll be very specific.

From italian classical literature, it even says, it's what it';s abot, before greek influence.

italian.classic-literature.co.uk...
The simplifying of the reckoning according to lunar months by the application of the decimal system, which was usual among the Romans, and the designation of a term of ten months as a "ring" (-annus-) or complete year, bear in them all the traces of a high antiquity.

It was the first notion as a ring, what I have been saying, sorry but you are wrong.

Then:

In like manner the Roman calendar--and probably that of the Italians generally--began with an independent development of its own, but subsequently came under the influence of the Greeks. In the division of time the returns of sunrise and sunset, and of the new and full moon, most directly arrest the attention of man; and accordingly the day and the month, determined not by cyclic calculation but by direct observation, were long the exclusive measures of time.

It's clear what came later and what was first.

THE RING WAS FIRST.

It's in realation to:

kiwidepia.com...==
The Romans considered that the day began to midnight. When settling down the year (of annus = ring) they determined a duration to him of 10 months (decimal system), but later, through Greek influence, went to the year of 12 months,

An has in general anything to do with a time line, AN, ANO ANE they are related words like I showed you into the dictionary. Sorry but before your "HETNOS found also in greek" where it came from it was ANO.

"an" means or

It means are you going or are you staying, you shortened it to one word wow, not that I take offence, it came from the Greeks anyway. I'm talking about where it originated in old latin, and the connection between the words, relation, it's why they are grouped in one.

Here is the original meaning in Latin, just like in IE, providing you the difrence from your modified C-LATIN "OR" Still not old Latin tho, but early on.

www.utexas.edu...
Latin: an- pfx on, to

It's why it's are you going or are you staying, your OR is very different from on, to very similar for your "to go", it is also binded in Proto IE to ANO, where your later ANNUS came from. Sorry wrong again, just go's to show you what classical Latin does.

[From Proto-Indo-European *hₐet-nos-, from *hₐet- (“to go”). Cognate with Gothic 𐌰𐌸𐌽 (aþn, “year”), Sanskrit अटति (aṭati, “he goes”)

Sorry but the root word from proto IE is ANO, what you quoted there is later on the road.
Anyone can see this has nothing to do with the notion of the ring and it came later.

Time line in order = ANO/ANUS/ANNUS

Even more relations showing where it came from, and the relation to other similar words.

www.gravity.org...
English coal, from the Old Norse kol, “burning ember,” and is related to the Latin and French kul, “anus,” as in the Latin anus, “ring,” and annus, “year” (eg. annual), and is likely akin to the Old Irish ánne, “ring,” and the Greek ana, “up, back, again.”

And "annus" means year,

Yes much later in the time line it became that,before that this notion did not exist.

seriously, I cannot understand how you can be this dense. You are a troll. You are intentionally trolling me an everyone else who has commented to you about this. This kind of childish behavior is beyond irritating. Grow up, get out of your mom's basement, and quit trolling ATS.

No your friend did the same, you should of revised it, what you talk about came later about in Latin, and is regarded at most in the term of classical Latin, your "Annus=year" came later and it is not the original idea of the word, it's meaning and it's origin. Simply what you talk as origin is later on from other cultures that added to the roman empire, not the original meaning. Stop flaming, you lost an argument, people lose in life it's part of life.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

yep, you got me. Your superior debate skills have triumphed.

I should have seen the old "I am right because I said so" defense a mile away, but I missed it.

I humbly concede to your amazing skills. Congratulations. Don't spend the prize money all in one place.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

yep, you got me. Your superior debate skills have triumphed.

I should have seen the old "I am right because I said so" defense a mile away, but I missed it.

I humbly concede to your amazing skills. Congratulations. Don't spend the prize money all in one place.

Your making me feel shy

That is silly, and about triumph, let history triumph, it's not about wining and there is no prize. You made me feel silly, but it is my personal opinion that it's that way and of course you may have an opinion that it's not, we may leave it that way, I'm not asking you to concede, like you told me with augustusmasonicus to do so, you may keep your point of view, I only present my opinion, if it's accepted or not that is fine with me.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
reply to post by YourPopRock

I find you one of the most proeminent trolls on ATS, it just happens that you are a mason, but I wont regard that, a troll is a troll no matter what status he/she shares.

Name calling? Trolls? Just because you prove yourself to be an idiot I am a troll?!?

Seriously boy, go lay by your dish. The adults are talking.

Oh, and about being a troll... do you think I would outflag and outstar you by miles if I were a troll? That only happens when people want to agree with you.
edit on 5/27/2011 by YourPopRock because: Pepsi is an idiot

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer777

Not to argue but you don't get the Gnostic conception of polarity. Matter is demonised in their theology so the adherent has a point within their framework to begin the process of liberation from it. The Gnostic methodology is very practical but amoral, this is the biggest issue people seem to take with it. I'm surprised to hear it from a Luciferian though.

In the Masonic tradition as in the Gnostic tradition Lucifer is seen as the Saviour. By destroying form we have the opportunity to shape it's recreation. It is almost impossible to alter what is already fixed. By disrupting the Archeon Jahweh's world of keeping man to himself and denying man the knowledge of anything greater than Yahweh, Lucifer created the possibility of choice and bound himself here to preserve it so that we could have the opportunity to partake in the highest expressions of Divine Self, free of the limits imposed by Yahweh or material form.

By polarizing matter as evil they utilized our natural tendency to seek pleasure and avoid pain. They sought the spiritual to the exclusion of matter and until we have lived as they did I don't really think any of us are going to understand it. Their knowledge is a fixed expression of something they actually lived. Dead words are of no consequence without the corresponding experience of the living truth. I think that's probably the most amazing thing of all. What we dream of they once lived. They got together and created something within a few generations that still shapes our spirituality to this day, it's almost like the created a permanent position within our racial subconscious mind.

Like Crowleyism Gnosticism is about using the toolkit of choices to produce experiences. The symbols are different but the results are pretty much the same. Sorry for ranting...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Name calling? Trolls? Just because you prove yourself to be an idiot I am a troll?!?

Next time quote me on facts, what you did is trolling, if you want to be part of the debate then debate on facts not by trolling around.

en.wikipedia.org...
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

edit on 28-5-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Give a source from the dictionary so I can look at.

It does AN=TIME just like I showed you in so many languages.
Turkish, Kurdish, Perisan, Etruscan-Hungarian, in IE it's where the root came from.

Here you go again. It needs to equal 'time' in LATIN for you to win this arguement. That was your original assertion and you should try sticking to it. Try looking up tempus temporis and tractus and getting back to us. You keep avoiding the real words that Latin speakers used to denote 'time'.

Persian had many dialects and variants, ajik. Tajik. Dari. Farsi / Parsi, Cyrillic, Cyrillic. Perso-Arabic and many more. I provided two sources saying the same thing that perisan AN=TIME.

Who cares about dialects? I gave you the accepted Old Persian word for 'time'.

It may also come from 'hetnos just like say the word "understanding" , in Latin, intellego, a split word inter - "between", and llegō to-"collect." that is also a greek connection, it's the same for your hetnos, has to do with nus, AN- became annus, not saying it's not a combination between AN and HETNOS.

Wrong. It is because the Proto Indo European root word hetnos/atnos had a nasal 't' which transitioned to the 'n' sound in annus.

It does not contradict anything, AN refers to going in Latin exactly where the idea started for a Latin year.
If you were correct the name would be HETNNOS and not ANNUS, you should know that mostly anything invented from another langauage to another when a language is invented will resemble the root, the similarity between the word.

Please see above. You are making a rather ignorant step by using the same alphabet to indicate pronunciation. The Proto Indo Eurpoean root word was not spelled with Latin letters making your point is irrelevant. The pronunciation was with a nasal 't' as indicated earlier.

No I'm not Persian is very diverse as in dialects and old variants.

Who cares again? The ACCEPTED word in Old Persian is 'uaqt'.

I can sense the passion in you , but classical Latin is just about that, I'm sorry, from all the movies, and all the stories and inflated things, I know it sounds disappointing.

What is disappointing is how you think you know more then people who actually studied what you are trying to give a dissertation on.

The earliest known form is Archaic Latin, which was spoken from ancient times up to the middle Republican period, and attested in several inscriptions, as well as some of the earliest extant literary works. source

Try looking up what the 'middle Republic' might be and tell me if it was only 2,000 years ago.

Notable Old Latin fragments with estimated dates include:

The Carmen Saliare (chant put forward in classical times as having been sung by the salian brotherhood formed by Numa Pompilius, approximate date 700 BC)
    The Praeneste fibula (formerly attributed to the 7th century BC, but now generally believed to be a 19th century forgery)
    The Forum inscription (illustration, right c. 550 BC under the monarchy)
    The Duenos inscription (c. 500 BC)
    The Castor-Pollux dedication (c. 500 BC)
    The Garigliano Bowl (c. 500 BC)
    The Lapis Satricanus (early 5th century BC)
    The preserved fragments of the laws of the Twelve Tables (traditionally, 449 BC, attested much later)
    The Tibur pedestal (c. 400 BC)

source

If you are taking of pre early Latin a non complete language then ok, as I told you they didint even have the word year until later, I showed you that, but you yet insist.

'A non complete language'? What the hell is that? Just because YOU have no idea what it means does not mean that THEY had no idea what it meant. You have got to be one of the most arrogant people I have ever come across.

They absolutely had a word for year. It was derived from the Proto Indo European word hetnos/atnos. Read this slowly:

In terms of vocabulary, however, Latin tends to preserve the original forms of many Indo-European roots. Compared to other Indo-European languages of antiquity, such as Sanskrit and Ancient Greek, the word forms in the Classical era are far more reflective of their etyma. Languages such as Sanskrit, however, tend to be more conservative with regards to grammar. source

Meaning that today's Latin is around 2000 years old, and that the old Latin that is extinct was a mix of proto IE in development.

Really? Where does it say that? STOP MAKING THINGS UP. There are Old Latin (500-700 BCE) inscriptions with words that can be translated into Classical Latin (which derived from Archaic Latin). While it was a transitional period they still spoke something closer to Latin then anything else.

Latin comes from IE languages I'm sorry.

And? Almost EVERY European language has Proto Indo European roots. What language did the inhabitants of Rome speak in 400 BCE?

Latin was just one of other Indo European languages spoken in central Italy. Earliest in Latin come from 6th century BC they were written using the alphabet adapted from the Etruscan alphabet, the same Etruscans I told you about with the examples you dismiss with AN=TIME.

And the same ones in which you also linked to evidence that shows they had a minimal language influence on the early Romans. You keep trying to butter your bread on both sides.

Also, the Etruscan Lexicon you linked did not have a definition of 'an-' equalling 'time', you mistakenly assumed that 'time locatives' meant time and did not understand the true meaning of a 'time locative' until it was explained to you.

By the way, you never did thank me for helping you understand the subtleties of the time locative and its meaning. Also, the Etruscan word for 'year' is 'avil' before you try to get everyone to believe it is something other than that.

I used a blog to show the Hungarian - Etruscan continuity with words, it was not that important, the first source was, it was a dictionary called Etruscan -Hungarian dictionary with all the words that survived from Etruscan into Hungarian. It stated that AN=TIME and NOW.

Yet another silly remark, the blog was only to show you what I was talking about since you did not understand, it explained what was Hungarian-Etruscan continuity at large.

No, it stated that the Etruscan word for 'time' was 'xur'. This is so freaking far from 'an' that you really should drop the Etruscan angle. It is making you look even sillier then someone linking blogs as evidence.

Were talking about the word year, it did not exist until later.

You are forgetting your arguement again. You said that 'an' in Latin equals 'time'. I am not arguing what the word 'year' in Latin may be but if you must, please reread the first link of this post, it may help you with your reasoning.

The words share the same meaning, anyone can see that.

Anyone with half a brain knows the difference between a noun and an adverb and knows that by definition they can not have the same meaning as they do two different jobs.

No it should be clear where it comes from as another hint, it's becoming more clear.
Sumerian AN sky god and notice "supreme god of time" is also Anu, Anum, Ano of course without two NN's this shows where these notions of words came from, I know make something up and say it's not.

Again with the two 'n's? You never bothered to reply when I showed you that there were Proto Indo Eurpoean words with two 'n's. You just ignored it like everything else that contradicts you.

Stop making things up it meant 10 months, the notion of an year is 12 months, that is what an year means, you may be thinking about what they thought to be a cycle, the notion of an year came later.

Wow. So, prior to Julius Caesar revising the Roman calendar into a twelve month system they had not concept of a 'year'? No genius, to them it was a 'year'. Just because it is not what YOU know does not mean it did not make sense to them. This is your arrogance at work again.

A year is the period of the Earth moving around the Sun, for an observer on earth, this corresponds to the period it takes the Sun to complete one course throughout the zodiac along the ecliptic.

Really? A 'year' is a measurement. You are only giving its most modern usage. Why does the Jewish new year constantly fall on a different day? Are they using a solar or lunar calendar? Did the ancient Romans use a solar or lunar calendar? More arrogance (and ignorance).

The notion of 12 months = an year in Rome came later, and not sadly for you it did not mean an year, year means just that, it never meant something else.

Uh-huh. If you say so. Do you even know how the Romans based their calendar or are you talking out of your anus again?

This of course to the relation of the name AN=SKY, it's also as I stated early in my post it's where the time line came from, from looking at the sky.

Well, if an=sky then I guess we no longer have to discuss that it equals time (tempus). Thank you.

I'm not re-wring anything, there is evidence to sustain what I say, you want to twist things and it's not working for you.

Sure you are. Just like how you just tried to rewrite the Roman calendar to fit your continually wrong point.

Debunking your friends Hetnos, since my native tounghe is very close to classical Latin I can tell, but I had to look into this crap to make sure.

Hetnos from the greeks,meaning people, culture.

dictionary.reference.com...

Previos know also as "Het Anos" From the greek word "AN"OS age, yet proving my point even more, this came later in Latin tho after they made contact with the Greeks.

Uh, no. Look up Proto Indo European word 'atnos' and get back to us.

(Most of the other intervening posts are absurdly redundant so I chose to address this: (where you once again read something and did not understand it, what a surprise)

It's where it evolved from, proof:
neohumanism.org...

/anus/ 'old woman' - /a:nus/ 'ring, anus' - /annus/ 'year'

Read slowly:

/N/ written g, called agma. Minimal pair: agnus /aNnus/ - annus /annus/

It first explains that the 'g' is pronouced with a 'nasal n'. If you follow to the 'minimal pairs' it shows:

anus/ 'old woman' - /a:nus/ 'ring, anus' - /annus/ 'year'

are pronounced similarly, like these words:

Minimal pair
In phonetics, minimal pairs are pairs of words or phrases in a particular language, which differ in only one phoneme and have a distinct meaning. They are used to demonstrate that two phones constitute two separate phonemes in the language.

English "let" + "lit" proves that phones [ e ] and [ i ] do in fact represent distinct phonemes /e/ and /i/. The phones do not have to be vowels, as the English minimal pair of "pat" + "bat" shows. In fact, this pair only differs in vocalization of the initial consonant as the configuration of the mouth is same for [ p ] and [ b ].

Examples

Following pairs prove existence of various distinct phonemes in English.
    dime + time /d/ and /t/
    rot + lot /r/ and /l/
    zeal + seal /z/ and /s/
    rhyme + time /r/ and /t/
    meal + meet /l/ and /t/
    feet + seat /f/ and /s/

You did it AGAIN. This was a pronuciation key, not an etymology list. YOU NEED TO READ THINGS BEFORE YOU POST THEM.

Honestly. I can not continue to double- and triple-check your sources because of your inability to read and comprehend what you locate and use to try and substantiate your floundering arguement. Participants in this thread should not have to spend valuable time verifying your habitually incorrect links. You continually ingore points that obviosuly contradict your position-i.e. the Etrsucan word for time is 'xur'-and then post or repost-i.e. the 'time locative' arguement-sources that do not support the position you are trying to make. You are sloppy in your research and supremely arrogant in your tact considering your lack of knowledge on the subject(s).

You have run around in circles from the outset, 'an' now equals everything BUT 'time' in Latin. While you continue to ignore the real word (tempus) that Latin speakers used to denote time. I find you to be tedious as you convienently ignore accurate and historical interpretations of Latin (and other languages) and stick to a failed dogma to religiously persue a constantly disproved stance. It should be fairly obvious to you by now that NO ONE has agreed with your point of view for the sole, and rather convincing, reason, you have made a terrible arguement supporting your misguided belief.

edit on 31-5-2011 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I am sorry you decided to bring facts. Those are not necessary. Only opinion is to be used in this thread. I found that out. The Latin Pepsi uses is a different kind than you know. It's special. There are no translators on the internet or anywhere other than him to figure out what a word meant. Accept that you have no way to counter such an argument and you will understand how this works. In other words, grasshopper, when you can snatch the pebble from his cranial cavity, you will be ready.

edit on 31-5-2011 by network dude because: Augustusmasonicus has too much beer and won't share

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Uh, no. Look up Proto Indo European word 'atnos' and get back to us.

Yes atnos came after the notion of the ring in Latin I explained that it came after the formation of the year, it was first the notion of the ring and not atnos, that formed later. If you state it was not please provide material like I did.

(Most of the other intervening posts are absurdly redundant so I chose to address this: (where you once again read something and did not understand it, what a surprise)

Yeah right.

/anus/ 'old woman' - /a:nus/ 'ring, anus' - /annus/ 'year'

Read slowly:

/N/ written g, called agma. Minimal pair: agnus /aNnus/ - annus /annus/

The word Anus in Latin is pronounced and written Anus, Agnus is a lamb in Latin, a different word.

What you posted there is another example in speaking, pronouncing the word in another way from a diferent dialect. It's what phonemes are, it may have a longer pronunciation in some instances some places but that is it. You made examples out of phonemes to confuse things. Anus is written and pronounced the same way.

To clarify this.

www.thefreedictionary.com...
Middle English, from Latin anus, ring, anus

This is yet another cheap invention you want to grab on to fight a lost cause.
Here you go.
latinlexicon.org...

Come with a dictionary without dialects and pronunciation variations where anus is pronounced like you said.
I'm afraid you wont find such thing.

dime + time /d/ and /t/
rot + lot /r/ and /l/
zeal + seal /z/ and /s/
rhyme + time /r/ and /t/
meal + meet /l/ and /t/
feet + seat /f/ and /s/

Of course time is going to be pronounced and spelled time, seat is going to be spelled seat and pronounced seat. This just shows how you trying to twist things with phonemes.

Also English has a variety of pronouncing something and spelling it in another way unlike other based Latin languages where how it's spelled it's pronounced.

You did it AGAIN. This was a pronuciation key, not an etymology list. YOU NEED TO READ THINGS BEFORE YOU POST THEM.

No this is only you imagination as I told you the word is written and pronounce in the same manner.

Honestly. I can not continue to double- and triple-check your sources because of your inability to read and comprehend what you locate and use to try and substantiate your floundering arguement. Participants in this thread should not have to spend valuable time verifying your habitually incorrect links. You continually ingore points that obviosuly contradict your position-i.e. the Etrsucan word for time is 'xur'-and then post or repost-i.e. the 'time locative' arguement-sources that do not support the position you are trying to make. You are sloppy in your research and supremely arrogant in your tact considering your lack of knowledge on the subject(s).

I am not arrogant, you are because you want to win badly, above all other things,"pronunciations" and other things that you made up, above all that lot's of lot's of sources state clear " it was a ring" as in "a ring" it's simple what the definition of a ring is. These include Latin literature sources, dictionaries, Latin writers and other sources that say it was a definition of a ring, the rest is you trying to twist it. Before an year existed in Rome it was a Ring, remember that.

Who is ignorant ?

It's clear what the root word for ring is in Proto IE no matter how you spin it, in the end it's the same result, it is ANO.

You have run around in circles from the outset, 'an' now equals everything BUT 'time' in Latin. While you continue to ignore the real word (tempus) that Latin speakers used to denote time. I find you to be tedious as you convienently ignore accurate and historical interpretations of Latin (and other languages) and stick to a failed dogma to religiously persue a constantly disproved stance. It should be fairly obvious to you by now that NO ONE has agreed with your point of view for the sole, and rather convincing, reason, you have made a terrible arguement supporting your misguided belief.

You may hold to your opinion , and I'll hold to mine.
It is obvius with movies such as "the lord of the rings" and star trek movies involving a time line, where the notion
comes from. After all holywood has it's fingers deep into the pie of the occult. My opinion lies clear about masonry, and what kind of individuals masons are, I'm not talking about the small little mason.

Don't forget to be a good little artificial robot, because it's what you are.

You trying to cover this up will only make it worst.

edit on 1-6-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Yes atnos came after the notion of the ring in Latin I explained that it came after the formation of the year, it was first the notion of the ring and not atnos, that formed later. If you state it was not please provide material like I did.

The word 'atnos' or '*at-no-" does not come after anything. It is the Proto Indo European root word that is the progenitor of the words 'hetnos' and 'annus'. It always meant year.

Notice that in the chart that Proto Indo European predates ALL languages you have mentioned. Latin was influenced by Celto-Italo and then directly by Proto European roots. There is no diputing this evolution. You will also notice that in the Indo European Lexicon this word can be directly traced back to its roots in the Indus Valley region.

The word Anus in Latin is pronounced and written Anus, Agnus is a lamb in Latin, a different word.

I knew you were going to have a hard time understanding this. It is a pronounciation key. In Italian (and Latin) the 'gn' sound is pronounced as a nasal 'n', like the word 'gnocchi'. You do not say 'Gah-nochi', you say 'n-nochi'.. They sound similar in pronounciation, thus the reason they were included on that website. You mistook it for an etymology list. You were wrong.

What you posted there is another example in speaking, pronouncing the word...

Thank you Captain Obvious. Maybe next time you will realize this yourself so I do not have to correct you, AGAIN, infront of everyone.

...in another way from a diferent dialect. It's what phonemes are, it may have a longer pronunciation in some instances some places but that is it. You made examples out of phonemes to confuse things. Anus is written and pronounced the same way.

Those are not dialects. They are they way words are pronounced. 'Agnus' is not pronounced 'ahg-nus', it is pronounced 'ahn-nus'.

To clarify this.

www.thefreedictionary.com...
Middle English, from Latin anus, ring, anus

No one cares what 'anus' means. You keep forgetting you are the one who said 'an' equals time in Latin when it is in fact 'tempus'.

This is yet another cheap invention you want to grab on to fight a lost cause.
Here you go.
latinlexicon.org...

Come with a dictionary without dialects and pronunciation variations where anus is pronounced like you said.
I'm afraid you wont find such thing.

The point you were missing there genius is that the OTHER words were pronounced the same way as 'anus', but you failed to comprehend that in the site you linked. 'Anus', 'annus' and 'agnus' are ALL pronounced in a similar fashion. It does not mean they are the same word. Why would anyone need a dictionary to prove that? You already linked the phonemes site. Thank yourself on that one.

dime + time /d/ and /t/
rot + lot /r/ and /l/
zeal + seal /z/ and /s/
rhyme + time /r/ and /t/
meal + meet /l/ and /t/
feet + seat /f/ and /s/

Of course time is going to be pronounced and spelled time, seat is going to be spelled seat and pronounced seat. This just shows how you trying to twist things with phonemes.

Twist things? No, it shows that you linked a site that you thought was an eytomolgy list and got caught making an fool out of yourself for not realizing what is was.

Also English has a variety of pronouncing something and spelling it in another way unlike other based Latin languages where how it's spelled it's pronounced.

AGAIN? If that is the case why are they explaining that the word 'agnus' is not pronounced with a strong 'g'?

No this is only you imagination as I told you the word is written and pronounce in the same manner.

Then explain the question above.

I am not arrogant, you are because you want to win badly, above all other things,"pronunciations" and other things that you made up

I do not have to make up pronounciations. You linked them. Not our problem if you have no idea, AGAIN, what you are refering to.

...above all that lot's of lot's of sources state clear " it was a ring" as in "a ring" it's simple what the definition of a ring is. These include Latin literature sources, dictionaries, Latin writers and other sources that say it was a definition of a ring, the rest is you trying to twist it. Before an year existed in Rome it was a Ring, remember that.

No. I showed you where it came from. The abstract concept of a 'year' existed for quite some time as evidenced by the Proto Indo European word which predated the Latin word by many centuries and meant the same thing.

Who is ignorant ?

You.

It's clear what the root word for ring is in Proto IE no matter how you spin it, in the end it's the same result, it is ANO.

But 'ano' and 'atnos' are two different words. Just like 'an' and 'annus'.

And here we are again, back around the same old circle (anus, ano) where you spin your wheels and keep bashing your head against a wall trying to prove a point that you can not even stick to if your life depended on the same.

You may hold to your opinion , and I'll hold to mine.

Except mine is not an opinion

It is obvius with movies such as "the lord of the rings" and star trek movies involving a time line, where the notion
comes from. After all holywood has it's fingers deep into the pie of the occult.

There you go! No one looks delusional when they use The Lord of the Rings or Star Trek movies to prove a point in a debate.

My opinion lies clear about masonry, and what kind of individuals masons are, I'm not talking about the small little mason.

Good for you, it makes me happy to hear you say this.

Don't forget to be a good little artificial robot, because it's what you are.

What does J.J. Abrams have to do with this discussion? I guess your only hope is to avoid answering points made earlier and going off on non-sequitors.

You trying to cover this up will only make it worst[sic].

Hmm. I have the feeling that it really can not get much worster then you have already made it.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I have the feeling he may make it the worster-est!

Oh and by the way, why does Pepsi have such a woody about Latin anyway? If so, shouldn't he be posting in a thread where it is even remotely close to topic?!?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

To cut it short, it's getting to be a pointless debate and it can go on forever, were not getting anywhere, you hold your opinion and I have mine.

Good day.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Captain Kirk's middle name is Tiberius which is about as close as you can get to using Star Trek as a reference on Latin. Speical allowance is permitted for the Starfleet motto to assuage the hardcore Trekkies.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

What you need to understand is that it was the notion of a ring, not a year, what you talk about came later to Rome with the Greeks bringing it, Rome did not have the notion of a year, but a cycle of 9 months that they thought in a form of a ring because the ring is like a cycle, AN-O .

This is known with the notion of ringing into new year.

idioms.thefreedictionary.com...
ring in the new year
Fig. to celebrate the beginning of the new year at midnight on December 31.

It may very well be from the time when the ring was the cycle later to become an year.

edit on 7-7-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Captain Kirk's middle name is Tiberius which is about as close as you can get to using Star Trek as a reference on Latin. Speical allowance is permitted for the Starfleet motto to assuage the hardcore Trekkies.
You've never read the Aeneid until you've read it in the original Klingon...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
You've never read the Aeneid until you've read it in the original Klingon...

Over a nice hot bowl of gagh!
edit on 8-7-2011 by Masonic Light because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

What you need to understand is that it was the notion of a ring, not a year, what you talk about came later to Rome with the Greeks bringing it, Rome did not have the notion of a year, but a cycle of 9 months that they thought in a form of a ring because the ring is like a cycle, AN-O .

This is known with the notion of ringing into new year.

idioms.thefreedictionary.com...
ring in the new year
Fig. to celebrate the beginning of the new year at midnight on December 31.

It may very well be from the time when the ring was the cycle later to become an year.

I think that you are most likely right. Empire requires that annual cycles are homogenised so that the pageantry on tribute days is known and prepared for by all subjects. Did the nine monthly cycle still cover 365 give or take a day or so, (and was obviously extended to the 12 with the addition of the memorialising of various emperors by taking days of longer months, thus further blurring the relationship with nature's and the cosmic cycles), or were they amongst the tribes that effectively hybernated for winter? In some areas of France they were still doing this up until the mid 19th century. Lucky beggars!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

What you need to understand is that it was the notion of a ring, not a year, what you talk about came later to Rome with the Greeks bringing it, Rome did not have the notion of a year, but a cycle of 9 months...

The Romans had a 'modern Western' conception of a year (one revolution of the Sun) in aproxiamtely 700BCE so you are once again, completely wrong. They stopped using the 10 month system, with its unnamed 61 days falling in the winter, after Numa Pompilius installed the one that would be later modified by Julius Caesar. This was also prior to the development of Republican Latin so the word for year in Rome had nothing to do with a ring and was always based on the concept of a solar year. Learn some history before you open your mouth.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join