It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple boss Steve Jobs explains ban on Flash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Well this isn't a conspiracy but something obvious, I really don't know why apple just won't admit that the reason the don't want flash on their products is because people will get free games and apps and they will lose money because people wont buy off the app store, everyone knows this is the case and its embarrassing when Mr jobs is just plain lying...

News article

I don't own any apple products but a lot of people I know do, if I want to run flash apps on my phone etc. I should have the choice not forced by apple, they really get on my nerves with this, they have even stopped developers from using 3rd party software to create the apps, you have to use apple software to create them.

Its company's like this that stop innovation, yes I will admit apple do make some pretty cool stuff, but blocking out the competition is like a dictatorship, if apple had their way there would be nothing in the world but apple products, we need competition to "force" company's to make better and better products, we cant all sit around and wait for 1 company to invent everything, seriously everyday apple is suing someone else because they think they invented "touching a bit of plastic" touch screens were out well before the i-phone Mr jobs!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I feel your pain. As much as I have loved my iPhone, the lack of flash has been a huge disappointment and one aspect where I felt restricted. So much so, I'll be switching to an Android once my contract is up in June.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Yeah, it's really embarressing when people outright lie like that, especially due to his standing in society, he should show a better example! But that's the way business works unfortunately, it's a shame we have given up all control over decision making in our society to a cleptomanic system which lauds ruthlessness as a virtue! We really need to take a look at the nature of the rules of the game we are playing, most people seem to think that the laws of business are akin to the laws of physics.. unbendable and omnipresent, but this is true for neither!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Well this isn't a conspiracy but something obvious, I really don't know why apple just won't admit that the reason the don't want flash on their products is because people will get free games and apps and they will lose money because people wont buy off the app store, everyone knows this is the case and its embarrassing when Mr jobs is just plain lying...

Haha I never really thought of that reason for them not to want flash. If apple doesn't want people to get free games and apps they should make them harder to jailbreak

Flash is buggy sometimes though. I've seen my laptop sit at 100% CPU usage when playing simple flash-based games. As soon as the flash game is closed, CPU usage goes back to normal.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Yes sometimes badly written flash code can do this but professionally written code wont, but apple uses this as an excuse to ban it from the phone...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I don't like macs either. The apple company seems very closed source, and seems to have very limited possibilities. Microsoft is in someways a lot better then apple. But there are always going to be limitations, these companies need to draw the line somewhere, but sometimes they seem to draw it a little too close to themselves.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Yes well if android can do it without too much hassle, then so could apple.
edit on 7/3/11 by GobbledokTChipeater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALadInsane

I feel your pain. As much as I have loved my iPhone, the lack of flash has been a huge disappointment and one aspect where I felt restricted. So much so, I'll be switching to an Android once my contract is up in June.

Me too... Now that android is out, I think apple will find a serious decline in iPhone users, and this will be a reason why the majority will.. We already have 2 on this thread..
Great products but apple suck big time.. I won't invest in any of their products if there is an alternative available..

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamaperson

I don't like macs either. The apple company seems very closed source, and seems to have very limited possibilities. Microsoft is in someways a lot better then apple. But there are always going to be limitations, these companies need to draw the line somewhere, but sometimes they seem to draw it a little too close to themselves.

The solution to that is easy! Hackintosh. It's not that hard to do and once you get it down you can dual/triple boot different OS from the same HDD.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Flash has lots of issues and lets face facts, it's old. It's a battery and CPU hog and HTML5 is the way of the future in my opinion.

If you have an iPhone there is a great browser called Skyfire. It converts flash to html5.

No jailbreak required...coz that's naughty

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I would never buy a product that does not allow you to replace the battery. Apple makes it this way so that you have to either buy a new one or send it in and pay money to replace it when the battery dies.

I am glad to say that I've never owned nor will I ever own an Apple product.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Yup! they seen to try every trick in the book to squeeze as much money out of their customers, tactics like this only last so long before it backfires on them.

top topics

join