It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Thirteen Towers Solar Observatory, breathtaking!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
G'Day ATS,

This place has been mentioned a few times on our site but nobody has really gone into any detail, so I'll attempt to do so here. I saw this yesterday in a BBC documentary available on iPlayer: Wonders of The Universe: Destiny

I think I'll keep it simple and post a few stills from the program, but here is some background Wiki info:

Chankillo is an ancient monumental complex in the Peruvian coastal desert, found in the Casma-Sechin Oasis in the Ancash Department of Peru. The ruins include the hilltop Chankillo fort, the nearby Thirteen Towers solar observatory, and residential and gathering areas. The Thirteen Towers are believed to have been a solar observatory built in the 4th century BC.

BBC:Towers point to ancient Sun cult

The oldest solar observatory in the Americas has been found, suggesting the existence of early, sophisticated Sun cults, scientists report.

It comprises a group of 2,300-year-old structures, known as the Thirteen Towers, which are found in the Chankillo archaeological site, Peru.

The towers span the annual rising and setting arcs of the Sun, providing a solar calendar to mark special dates.

"So, on the summer solstice, which is in December in Peru, you would see the Sun just to the right of the right-most tower; for the winter solstice, in June, you would see the Sun rise to the left of the left-most tower; and in-between, the Sun would move up and down the horizon."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/018658aab14f.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e403760369ef.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7bfcdfb9e52e.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9895f01d4add.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42d8ead504c0.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/216e17938c13.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d8da9f48432.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5665477c4ab.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e6c510997f2e.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/43a7500205a6.png[/atsimg]

As I said in the title to this thread, Breathtaking, I hope you agree.

All the best ATS, hope you look at the sun a little differently today, in memory of the ancient builders of the Thirteen Towers!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Yeah I saw the show.. Was amazing, I didn't even know this thing existed.. Like Brian cox said.. I want one!

It is a really good show and Brian cox is a. Good presenter, for a scientist. I eagerly await the next episode..

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
S&F I'll watch that later tonight

Thanks for the link and gorgeous pics!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Yeah I saw the show.. Was amazing, I didn't even know this thing existed.. Like Brian cox said.. I want one!

It is a really good show and Brian cox is a. Good presenter, for a scientist. I eagerly await the next episode..

I thoroughly agree! He's the man! I was going to use other sources, but they all are pretty useless and just rehash one or two stock images from Google Images.

It was easier and more exciting this way.

I'm glad you mentioned Brian Cox's name, I should have given him a shout in the OP, all the best, Kiwi

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
S&F I'll watch that later tonight

Thanks for the link and gorgeous pics!

A pleasure, I think I've found a fellow aficionado of History!! There are heaps of us here on ATS! Check out Byrd's, Kandinsky's or SLAYER69's threads. The best thing to do is to look HERE, that's the ANCIENTS forum listed in order of flags earned, ATS members are usually quite discerning and will appreciate a good thread.

All the best, Kiwi

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I've started going through the forum from the most flagged down and there are some great threads! A couple of Slayer69's threads had me captivated for days, I've still got a lot of treads to read!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Kiwifoot

Would you say that ATS and it's members has a

a:/ Highly Entropy
b;/ Low Entropy ?

I agree with you and your appreciation of Dr Brian Cox and the Wonders of the Universe series...

Have you seen the first series ?

He and the shows producers make it very entertaining and informative at the same time.......... some of the numbers used like last nights show ( the life of the Universe = 1 x 10,000 Trillion to the power 10 as per drawn in the sand) are TOO much to comprehend but they seem to achieve comparisons on that show that otherwise would not really make sense........

Regards

PDUK
edit on 7-3-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: spelling

edit on 7-3-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Hey there kiwifoot,

I saw this last night thanks to my son texting me with a head's up (we've talked about this kind of stuff for hours at a time ever since he was little
)

Brilliant programme ... can't wait for next week ... as for Brian Cox ... I could listen to the guy all night ... I love it when someone is so passionate about their subject (it's infectious)

>>>PurpleDog UK

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Thank you for the post. Perfectly timed in my case. Recently I was looking over a chapter in the Book of Enoch. It was describing the celestial bodies and their movements in the skys. It also explained how the sun and the moon entered and exited the skys thru portals. Every thirty days or so the sun would use a different portal next to it. and then reverse after six months.

On some mornings when the sun is rising I try and imagine ancient man and his portals, his sun calender. I have even considered making my own small henge one day just to see how it looks but portal towers might not be a bad Idea.

TY again

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Kiwifoot

Would you say that ATS and it's members has a

a:/ Highly Entropy
b;/ Low Entropy ?

You know what, I'm not sure!! I would have said low entropy a year ago, but now I'm leaning towards high!!!

Have you seen the first series ?

Yeah, the problem being I used to put it on at bedtime and fall asleep to it, I think I'm going to have to get the box set!!

He and the shows producers make it very entertaining and informative at the same time.......... some of the numbers used like last nights show ( the life of the Universe = 1 x 10,000 Trillion to the power 10 as per drawn in the sand) are TOO much to comprehend but they seem to achieve comparisons on that show that otherwise would not really make sense........

Yeah, for sure, that was brilliant!

Have a good one PD

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Hey there kiwifoot,

I saw this last night thanks to my son texting me with a head's up (we've talked about this kind of stuff for hours at a time ever since he was little
)

Brilliant programme ... can't wait for next week ... as for Brian Cox ... I could listen to the guy all night ... I love it when someone is so passionate about their subject (it's infectious)

>>>PurpleDog UK

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Nice content, but what's with all the vignetting of the image? Makes it look like some old home movie.
The focus is dodgey also.

Is this how the BBC fight back against the tides of user generated content - by making their stuff look like some 1960's 8mm film?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well what with that program and this image my brain has been broken.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eff529570909.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
wow...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hey Kiwifoot,

As always another great thread. I always look forward to your posts as they are well thought out and provide more information or at least more routs to seek more information. Thanks for another one!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Ouch! That image fried my brain at Aldebaran - halfway through.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Well you lasted longer than me! My brain left the building after Pollux

edit on 7/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You can watch it on BBCiplayer. However, prepare to be put under hypnosis. You'll be thinking like a good little zombie in no time at all because it's packed full of subtle references to evolution. Cox, the presenter, refers to everything as "Millions of years old" and in his next breath: "Billions of years old" At about 5 minutes in he declares everything to be: "Trillions of years old" It's laughable programming. Mute the sound and figure the rest out for yourselves.

The art of hypnosis is repetition - that's why they keep repeating their favorite and meaningless unscientific one liners, like: "Millions of years old" - that phrase make me want to puke. Cox! *SNIP*

Great footage, imbecile presenter.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 3/8/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Interesting ancient stuff i like, creepy cox the androgenous scientist however, i don't.

Thanks for posting about the thirteen towers.

Built not long before the supposed birth of Christ...check.

13 towers, 13 constellations, 13 disciples...check.

A Sun cult (Son)...check.

Rising and falling/ dying and rebirth of the 'Sun'...check.

Peruvian Summer solstice in December, same as Christ's 'Birth'...check.

Could be the origin for the Christ myth.
edit on 8/3/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
Interesting ancient stuff i like, creepy cox the androgenous scientist however, i don't.

i agree with that, he seems to have a permanent smile, no idea what thats about!

Could be the origin for the Christ myth.

There were plenty of myth cults in the middle east at that time including Greek and Roman cults that fit the story of the Jewish Messiah perfectly though so no need to look any further. There was Mithras, Dionysus, Osiris and many more dying and resurrecting sun gods.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join