It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's secret plan to arm Libya's rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

America's secret plan to arm Libya's rebels

www.independent.co.uk

Supplies could reach Benghazi within 48 hours but they would need to be delivered to air bases in Libya or to Benghazi airport. If the guerrillas can then go on to the offensive and assault Gaddafi's strongholds in western Libya, the political pressure on America and Nato – not least from Republican members of Congress – to establish a no-fly zone would be reduced.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Here we go again...

We all know what happens when we start funding guerrillas and rebels... it tends to come back and bite us.

"the Saudis remain the only US Arab ally strategically placed and capable of furnishing weapons to the guerrillas of Libya. Their assistance would allow Washington to disclaim any military involvement in the supply chain – even though the arms would be American and paid for by the Saudis."

Where does it seem I have heard this before?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-3-2011 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Not that big a secret, we already have a thread..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Libya has a long coastline. It may not be necessary for needed medicines, food and military equipment to come from SA.

But what will be the most vital equipment needed first will be

1. Medicines. With medicine and staff, more need not die from their wounds.

2. Mobile Surface to Air Missile platforms such as the Rapier missile systems. Beginning first with easily shipped stinger missiles. With such SAM equipment, the Beasts aircrafts will disappear overnight, making other supplies easier to be carried out.

Gaddafi is a wanted man by world's humanity, for every human is reviled by what he had mercilessly done to thousands of innocent unarm citizens whom had only pleaded for succor from him. Yet, he had continued to received manpower duped to become mercenaries unhindered from elswere to protect his regime, not to mention his misuse of funds meant for social expenditure but use to stockpile military equipment, not to protect his people but to kill them.

It is only morally right to supply supporting equipment for the rebellion, so that they may have a chance to fight for their freedom on their own and bring the regime to justice.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
America should apply a policy of isolatianism and avoid involvement in another conflict, even if it is only arms sales. Benghazi is a coastal city, dosen't that mean that the supplies could come in by the sea? Does anyone have any information on Qadhafi's control of Libyan waters?

Information about Libya's navy off Wikipedia

Frigates 2 × Koni class frigates (Type 1159) (one operational)

Corvettes 2 × Nanuchka class corvettes

MFPBs 9 × Combattante II fast attack craft (7 operational)

Mine warfare vessels 9 × Natya class minesweepers (Type 266ME) (5 operational)

I can't find anything relating to their current placement or deployement, but it seems to me it would be easier to get weapons and munitions in by sea rather then by air. They seem to have a well equiped airforce

edit on 7-3-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: incorrect spelling

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Im not trying to be inflamatory here, but assuming the US is NOT involved in a rebellion in the Middle East is like assuming that fuel prices have no effect on the retail price of food. If the US had no involvement whatsoever with the anti Gaddafi rebels , THAT would have been a story.
All that said, and clearly filed away under the heading "DUH!" I have to say, I hope that whatever comes after Muammar Gaddafi's tyranny is better for the people of Libya than his reign has been. Rumours of his death aside, the fellow is quite clearly as barmy as a drunk in a brewery , and significantly more dangerous to his own people than he is to anyone outside his nation. While I believe that his removal from power would probably benifit his people, I cannot stress enough that the benifit to his people would be erased fully , where ANY western involvement in the rebuilding of infrastructure to occur.
Let Libya rebuild itself , and be proud of its independance under a free and fairly elected governance, rather than being corperately raped in its most vunerable state.

new topics

top topics

join