It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ quake: 10, 000 homes condemned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

NZ quake: 10, 000 homes condemned

www.peopleforum.cn

New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key has said 10,000 homes in Christchurch are lost forever and cannot be rebuilt after the 22 February earthquake.He also announced a national memorial day of 18 March, with events planned for Christchurch's Hagley Park.Rescue workers were relieved to find no dead in the rubble of the collapsed tower of Christchurch Cathedral; they had earlier pulled about 90 bodies from the Canterbury TV building.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
It is really bad news that so many homes can't be rebuilt ,so the people have to leave their homeland and to build a home snip somewhere else ...What confused me is that why there are liquefaction after the earthquake which i have never heard before...

www.peopleforum.cn
(visit the link for the full news article)

[Mod Edit - removed spam link]
edit on 7/3/2011 by Sauron because: removed spam

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by skyvia

I think that site may be wrong..
This is what New Zealand's Civil Defence director John Hamilton said..

He also warned that 10,000 Christchurch homes faced the wrecking ball in coming weeks and months.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

There is no mention that they can not rebuild there...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by skyvia

Up to 10,000 homes may have to be demolished:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

(makes one wonder if that was the whole idea all along.....just thinking out loud)
edit on 7-3-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It's been hard for my friends in Christchurch to let us know how they are doing, but I got an email through in the past couple of days saying Electricity is up, from a shared Generator. Water is being supplied as he gets enough to last them about 3 days at a time.. but it isn't wasted on showers of course.

His house is wrecked, although the back yard shed is perfectly intact. And at the moment they are not getting much sleep due to the aftershocks. He didn't answer my questions on Toilets as I had seen stories of people stealing the communal mobile units (1 unit to 5 streets), nor did he answer on the exodus out of the area, despite him saying they are giving it one more go.. if it happens again then they are out of there too.

As for the rest of us looking in from the outside, we have no idea how life is for those many thousands of people around Christchurch. I can only guess it is horrific and not at all like camping out.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
multiple replies and no one addresses the obvious spamming?? are people just not paying attention?

(hint) I dont think anyone in CHCH cares about learning Russian right now, Rosetta stone or not.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I'm in Canterbury, just outside Christchurch, we were close to the original 7.1 epicentre.

Can I just say that there is no mass exodus from Christchurch, quite the opposite in fact (excepting those who are currently away staying with friends/rellies due to no water/power - but even they are keen to get back).

The amazing thing about this country is the attitude of its people. I am a British expat living here permanently, have done for 7 yrs, and this quake has done nothing but increase my (and my hubby's) bond with the place. Everyone we speak to says the same - whether their house is trashed or not - and that is that we WILL rebuild, we WILL stay and we LOVE our city and country.

There are many people still not able to return home, or living in terrible conditions - I have friends in this predicament and have had families come to stay here for relative safety in the immediate aftermath. However, considering the ground accelerations were the biggest EVER recorded within a built up city, we have come through this fairly well.

Unfortunately, many of us know people who have died or were injured, such is the nature of a small city where everyone seems to know everyone else, but even so, we won't give up on Christchurch and Canterbury.

Kia Kaha (stay strong) is our motto

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Regarding liquefaction - everyone who owns property in Christchurch is aware of the potential for liquefaction. On every Land Information Memorandum www.wellington.govt.nz... (which is obtained before / during a house sale) there is a "risk of liquefaction" note. In fact, you can easily see the liquefaction risk areas on the Environment Canterbury (eCan) site:

www.ecan.govt.nz...

Luckily, we have EQC (Earthquake Commission) in New Zealand.

EQC was established by the Government in 1945 to provide earthquake and war damage cover for purchasers of fire insurance. Later, cover for other natural disasters was included and, later still, cover for war damage dropped. The modern EQC is a Government-owned Crown Entity.

www.eqc.govt.nz...
edit on 7-3-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Bluemirage5 - the news changes daily. Today we have heard some areas may not be rebuilt but instead "relocated" perhaps to the West of the city.

There is also talk of relocating the central business district.

It's still early days, so I expect things will change a few times before any final call is made.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Look up any scientific paper on earthquakes and also look at Kobe (Japan) built almost entirely on reclaimed land, where the water table is only a couple of metres below the surface and how much liquefaction occurred there after its earthquake.
Reclaimed land, whether it is from the sea or filled in swamps is liable to this phenomena.
Just hope that the Netherlands never suffer a serious earthquake, more than half that country is built on reclaimed land.
And Lower Manhattan New York is in a similar situation, reclaimed land and lots of high rises.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by skyvia

Up to 10,000 homes may have to be demolished:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

(makes one wonder if that was the whole idea all along.....just thinking out loud)
edit on 7-3-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

What a stupid statement, another rabid conspiracy theorist from the USA. Get real please, the tragedy of Christchurch is just that - a tragedy.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Terms & Conditions Of Use
15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.

Thread closed / removed.

Sauron
Super-Moderator
edit on 7/3/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
2012 is coming!!!

top topics

join