It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Dr Hawass Resigned

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by jexmo

Im completely with you on this! Is he just going to turn a blind eye to the destruction and theft of the artifacts left in these tombs after all these years?

Or just a clever lie to cover what HE takes with him ??

My thoughts exactly. I thought he was already planning on leaving, and write a book. Not to mention his little trinkets he has decided to keep.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justaposter I thought he was already planning on leaving, and write a book. Not to mention his little trinkets he has decided to keep.

I thought that too, I thought that he'd announced that he was retiring from the position this year anyway?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Yeah, he said one year ago that he is resigning. Now he is saying he is resigning because of this. He was never too honest of a man.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

Originally posted by Justaposter I thought he was already planning on leaving, and write a book. Not to mention his little trinkets he has decided to keep.

I thought that too, I thought that he'd announced that he was retiring from the position this year anyway?

Wonder what the book is going to be about.

I've been following this guy for about 20 years. Publicly his focus is Tourism. He promotes the stereotype Archaeology of Egypt that most people believe or want to believe. He will not allow any ideas or concepts that might change that popular viewpoint.

Is he protecting himself or Egypt? I'd say a little of both.

The big question is - - - with Hawass gone - - - will Egypt open its tombs and artifacts to other researchers without restrictions.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The so-called "Dr." Hawass is a LIAR! I don't know if he does it to protect his Egyptian heritage or what, but he is the biggest source of disinfo on ancient Egypt you can find on National Geographic.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrEuphoric1
The so-called "Dr." Hawass is a LIAR! I don't know if he does it to protect his Egyptian heritage or what, but he is the biggest source of disinfo on ancient Egypt you can find on National Geographic.

I don't know that I would call it disinfo - - - but definitely blocking anything beyond what he deems acceptable.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
What the heck is going on there? There are excavations going with loaders?

A site in Northern Sinai was destroyed when looters arrived with a loader.

This is not good...

Yes. I was reporting on updates as I found them (there's a thread buried deep on this forum now where I listed the loss and destruction as quoted by Egyptologists working sites.) And loaders being used on excavations by looters isn't unknown. It's a REAL problem in South America. The object of the looters is to get anything remotely valuable and sell it for what they can. They destroy the site (so we have no context) and of course no idea what's found with what.

And they break so much and throw away fragments that could be reconstructed to tell us things.

Money trumps culture and science, I'm afraid.

BTW, the Egyptology world had suspected Hawass of soft-peddling the damage.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
The big question is - - - with Hawass gone - - - will Egypt open its tombs and artifacts to other researchers without restrictions.

No the big question is--- Will there be anything left after this atrocity? Are we going to be spending the next 30yrs repairing the damage? Does this event put Egyptology at a stand still while the damage the Destruction has caused is repaired?

Do you all really think that next year instead of repairing the damage caused in the last 2 months archaeology in Egypt will take a great leap forward? I personally doubt it, IMO this is going to put an end to any new excavations for a long time to come.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

No the big question is--- Will there be anything left after this atrocity?

Well yes - - I understand that is the primary horror.

But are there still hidden chambers - - or information that has been hidden.

The black market has no qualms about hiding or protecting information that someone may not want revealed. Their only interest is money.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

and if the hidden chambers are discovered by looters then we will never learn anything.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

No the big question is--- Will there be anything left after this atrocity? Are we going to be spending the next 30yrs repairing the damage? Does this event put Egyptology at a stand still while the damage the Destruction has caused is repaired?

Do you all really think that next year instead of repairing the damage caused in the last 2 months archaeology in Egypt will take a great leap forward? I personally doubt it, IMO this is going to put an end to any new excavations for a long time to come.

precisely, particularly because some of the people are claiming their homes were found to be on potentially important sites and they were forced out of their homes. so they are rebuilding back on top of excavations, which means even new excavations are in danger of being covered up by people rebuilding on top of them.
edit on 7-3-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

and if the hidden chambers are discovered by looters then we will never learn anything.

Of course they will -- they may even learn more because everything will be available.

Many museum pieces have come from black market - - where otherwise they may have gone into private collections and never seen by the public.

I am fully aware that looters destroy sites and anything they can't sell. That sucks - - but that's life.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

would you say "that's life" in someone broke into your house and destroyed your stuff ? ancient egypt belongs to the planet, not just some folks in egypt.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Annee

would you say "that's life" in someone broke into your house and destroyed your stuff ? ancient egypt belongs to the planet, not just some folks in egypt.

I am a realist. It is what it is.

Can you change it? NO!

So I choose to look at the best scenario - - - which is artifacts brought to the public via black market.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Of course they will -- they may even learn more because everything will be available.

Many museum pieces have come from black market - - where otherwise they may have gone into private collections and never seen by the public.

I am fully aware that looters destroy sites and anything they can't sell. That sucks - - but that's life.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

What are we actually going to learn from a destroyed and looted site?

What are we going to learn from an object without provenance?

How do you plan on learning anything from objects that have been destroyed?

Who do you think the looters are going to make the objects they loot available too?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Dr. Hawass was and always will be nothing more than a cheap suit, taking credit for discoveries that were not his, forcing out anybody who disagreed with his assumptions. Not to mention he would call other Egyptologists that they were wrong, and when they went back to Europe or elsewhere, he would then come in and say oh we discovered this, and claim that finding as new without crediting the work. To me he was corrupt and who know's how much of Egypt's true history this man has claimed. Not to mention the countless artifacts as well as bribes his people have taken at the cost of history. If the rumor of him being prosecuted for corruption are true I say good.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

What are we actually going to learn from a destroyed and looted site?

What are we going to learn from an object without provenance?

How do you plan on learning anything from objects that have been destroyed?

Who do you think the looters are going to make the objects they loot available too?

First off - - as I said - - It is what it is. Unless someone does something to stop it.

Archaeologist have searched many sites that were basically shreds of information and made discoveries.

Even the poorest of the poor know Artifacts have monetary value - - they are not going to destroy them.

Who do I think the black market is going to sell their stuff too? Seriously? The highest bidder.

What is that saying? Don't waste your time worrying about what you can't change?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

It's a terrible shame that any tombs and/or artifacts might be damaged or lost during Egypt's transition but I will cry no tears over the announcement that Dr. Hawass is leaving or retiring. I'm not sure just where it comes from but I've never felt good about Dr. Hawass and IMO, no individual has done more to cover up the true history of ancient Egypt than he has. To this day he continues to profess the false doctrine that the pyramids were built to serve as tombs which, of all the theories out there, probably has the least amount of supporting evidence.

To Dr. Hawass I say; Goodbye and Good Ridden.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Good this guy has done nothing but steal credit for peoples discoveries.. pull their permits.. etc.

and generally been a gate keeper for true knowledge about the land of Kemit..

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Looting of antiquities continues unopposed here in Abydos. Everyday I walk across the desert plain to my land beyond and every day I see evidence of illegal digging. The remains of mummies now litter the plain. 3/4 days ago 10 armed raiders entered the American mission house in Abydos and looted it. Police were frightened off by gun fire from the raiders. What the looters made off with is unknown and it is also unknown whether they gain access to the newly built restoration/storage rooms.

www.egyptiandreams.co.uk...

this is extremely bad. it's so bad, i can't even begin to tell you how bad it is.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join