It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO of sorts Oswego IL

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I just noticed something very odd. The front object has no trail at all. This is not what you would expect if it was something breaking up.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Let's just say it's illegal to text and drive, so I wasn't doing that... And my phone wasn't in my pocket!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355
reply to post by Ucabearbone

Plus would an astroid go out and light on fire and go out again? I dunno, not an expert... Just thought it was cool!
plus the jets right after kind of weirded me out! My daughter was so excited!!!

Can't speak to the jets, but yes, meteors can light up and go out and light up again.

You should be very excited. You've caught an extremely rare sight on your camera. Do a search, you'll soon find out just how special it is.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Nice catch OP, very cool! I wish I was quick enough to catch a similarly large object (maybe even larger) I saw about a year ago 20 miles south of Charlotte NC, it was blue though and didn't appear to leave a smoke trail behind it. It was dark outside, so hard to tell. I was too busy staring at it with my jaw on the ground to even reach for my phone though, lol.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

No they don't usually hit the ground. Believe it or not, even one that bright can be as small as a grain of sand. They hit the atmosphere with such incredible speed (10 - 40 km/s) that they light up like an incandescent bulb.

It is possible it was larger and made it to ground. That's rare, but it can happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Amazing photo....I'd say it was just something like a falling satalite, or asteroid or whatever...however if you actually saw it change course that makes the whole thing more mysterious since such a thing should not behave that way, according to physics. What happened after it changed course...did you just lose sight of it?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Yes, it was large but I quickly lost it in the blue sky. I guess it was falling closer to 40-45 degrees, but pulled up at least 15% or more.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
im guessing its a satellite that has reentered our atmosphere, and to guess about the angle difference it had thrust vectoring capabilities. thats probly why there were jets following. gov dont want to lose there toys.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Meteors can change direction. Numerous websites state that they always follow a "ballistic trajectory", but this is incorrect.

They can start out with a very large horizontal component to their velocity and end up falling almost straight down at the end.

I'm still searching for a decent explanation for why this happens. It seems to be something to do with the ablation that occurs, which causes it to lose mass as it falls. I think the basic idea is that when it has a high mass it keeps going in the same direction. As the mass gets very low it begins to be braked by the atmosphere. It keeps falling, but loses much of its initial horizontal velocity. Due to the fact that there are two things happening at the same time (losing mass and slowing) the two combine to make it look like the meteor has turned a corner in the sky.

Stuff can also skip off the atmosphere, like a rock skimming a pond. But this is certainly not what has happened in this case. The photo clearly shows it at about low cloud level. So it definitely didn't skip off the atmosphere back into space.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If you guys remember, Russia had a sat that made it to orbit, but it missed the desired orbit, and didn't have the power to get itself up to the right orbit.... could have been it, seeing as it was in a much lower than intended orbit.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Oh, thank you so much for ensuring that everyone's reality is defined by your analysis. I've seen some "asteroids" do some interesting things that would be uncharacteristic of "asteroid" behavior.

Nice to put your opinion in, but...
1. you didn't see it
2. you weren't there
3. you don't know what this thing did, or did not do.
4. you don't know the direction, trajectory, or speed

So please, spare us your definitive details and quit trying to shape the thought processes of others.

You might (MIGHT) very well be correct. But then again, you might have no idea of what you're talking about.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Qcuailon because: to add

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Here we go, this website explains it:

www.astronomycafe.net...

When meteorites of less than 10 tonnes enter the atmosphere they are aerobraked prodigiously. They lose their original "cosmic velocity" and end up falling to the ground, experiencing acceleration due to gravity.

The most common time for a meteor to suddenly change trajectory is if it breaks apart. This can take it from an object large enough to retain most of its cosmic velocity into one small enough be effectively aerobraked.

In one of your photos I see a second nearby bright patch. Was this a second part of the same object that had broken off, or is it just a coincidental piece of white cloud that happened to be in the vicinity?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Just to clarify something: I am just assuming that in the zoomed photo on page one of the thread that the cloud was already there and that the bright object at the end of the smoke trail just happened to pass through or behind that cloud? Either that or the cloud is actually a smoke trail from a piece of the object that broke off and followed a slightly different trajectory down?

Obviously a meteor cannot go up, make a hairpin turn then head back down towards the earth!

Another possibility is a piece of space junk reentering as some have pointed out. But it is still a phenomenal photo of it and still very rare to catch, if that is what it is.

I urge you to post this on professional astronomy forums. This is an extremely interesting photo.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL
reply to post by XtraTL

But it is still a phenomenal photo of it and still very rare to catch, if that is what it is.

I urge you to post this on professional astronomy forums. This is an extremely interesting photo.

Sooo, a couple people have recommended posting this on pro astronomy forums, any recommendations as to which ones?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Wow . I just realized that this is one trail that loops back on itself . Look:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive
edit on 7-3-2011 by dainoyfb because: I forgot to use the reply button.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Wow . I just realized that this is one trail that loops back on itself . Look:

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure tge front image is a cloud

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Yes, Astronomy picture of the day archive is what I was going to recommend.

You might also contact your local media.

Before you post on an astronomy archive (they won't be interested if it wasn't astronomical).... when you say it changed angle 15 degrees, you don't mean it fell towards the earth at 45 degrees then altered angle so it went back up a little and became *more* horizontal do you?

Obviously that's impossible for a meteor and probably also for falling space junk. That would cut it down to some kind of military project or an amateur rocket or a failed rocket launch, or something of that nature (or of course something entirely bizarre).

A meteor could either go in a straight line, or go horizontal (or overhead) and then turn down *towards* the earth, essentially falling straight down for the final part of its trip (adjust for perspective of course).

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I thought so at first also . Looks like one trail tho:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Yes, I meant it went from 45 degrees to more horizontal. Otherwise I would have just assumed it was a falling object...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join