It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims, supporters protest Congressional hearing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Article

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Muslims, activists and supporters demonstrated in Times Square on Sunday to protest a Congressional hearing on radicalization of U.S. Muslims.

Holding placards that read "Today I am a Muslim, too," a few hundred gathered at the interfaith protest, decrying what they said was the bigotry and ignorance behind anti-Muslim sentiments in the United States.

King, a New York Republican who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee, said on CNN Sunday that while "the overwhelming majority of Muslims are outstanding Americans ... there is an effort to radicalize efforts within the Muslim community."

I have not heard about this hearing before. If I understand what the article is saying correctly, there is a movement in congress to "radicalize" muslims. I do not know if this means only a select few people will be "radicalized", or if they are trying to make everyone "radicalized".

Has anyone else heard about this, and does anymore have any more information about this to? The article is pretty short so there isnt too much information to go off of.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I believe this is in reference to American muslims being radicalized by muslims clerics such as the army shooter. These are born are naturalized people who convert and turn here at home. It makes a wonderful excuse for the rest of us to have a supposed enemy. There by allowing the passage of new freedom restrictions to keep us safe. ( L>O>L>)
edit on 6-3-2011 by David134 because: blank

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
What this is, is some people think that all Muslims are extremists and some people believe that all Muslims want Sharia Law in America.

These people try and justify their bigotry in many ways. But it's simple bigotry and paranoia that these people have.

One could point to Christian groups like The Army of God and The Westboro Baptist Church and exclaim that all Christians are violent murdering homophobes, but that's simply not true.

These "Hearings" are akin to the McCarthy Hearings back in the 1950s.

Same fearmongering bigotry, just a new face.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
So, basically they are trying to make Islamophobia not only acceptable but legal? Ridiculous.

No wonder there hasn't been reporting on something like this, no matter which way you spin it, it still leaves a foul taste in your mouth.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

What this is, is some people think that all Muslims are extremists and some people believe that all Muslims want Sharia Law in America.

The representative behind the hearing said exactly the opposite:

King, a New York Republican who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee, said on CNN Sunday that while "the overwhelming majority of Muslims are outstanding Americans ... there is an effort to radicalize efforts within the Muslim community."

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Of course, that's how it starts, then next thing you know, they are hauling citizens before the hearings trying to force them to name their family and everyone they know as extremists or be labeled an extremist themselves.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by David134

Yes, well they haven`t blown up your Subway system yet, or your buses. They haven`t tried to firebomb your Airports or your Nightclubs either. When they do you will be singing a different tune. In the UK it was British born-and-bred Muslims who murdered all those people in London and tried to do the same in Scotland at Glasgow Airport. Plus the two carbombs which failed to detonate outside the Nightclubs in London.

You may think you have nothing to worry about - - but you`ll learn like we had to.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by exroyalnavy

No, he just experienced 9/11 but hey, that was no biggie right? Nothing at all compared to what happend in the UK.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I believe that most muslims are not terrorists. They are individuals, trying to live their lives as best they can.

But I would like to ask you, muslim people, why are so many of your people terrorists?

It is the same question I would like to ask the IRA from a long time ago - why are your people terrorists when most of your people want to live peaceful lives?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

But I would like to ask you, muslim people, why are so many of your people terrorists?

To be fair you should ask that of Christians and Jews too.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

It's all a matter of perspective. One mans "terrorist" is another mans "freedom fighter". The label is generally based upon which side of an issue one is sitting on.

Technically my nation, the US, was created by a group of terrorists. It just so happens that they won, and thereby won the right of self description. Had the British prevailed in 1776 then our founding fathers would be remembered as renegades terrorists, not patriots.

This is not to excuse acts of violence at all. I don't agree with the precepts of terrorism - especially in the targeting of non combatants simply for shock value. I'm just pointing out that our individual perspectives paint the descriptors that we use in relation to these issues.

There are those who believe that western nations are terrorist organizations - just with way better weapons, funding, and logistical support.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a factoid you folks should know.

In Saudi Arabia it is illegal to be a Christian.
Stiff penalties and even prison terms.

www.christianpost.com...

I guess Muslims also want to see that law
enacted here in America too.

America is NOT a Muslim nation,
if you want that I suggest you move
back to Saudi Arabia.

While it is our law to give you freedom
of choice of whom to worship. Do not
think that gives you the right to convert
the whole system to Sharia.

It ain't gonna happen.

I have nothing against Muslims,
til they start forcing Christianity
out of my life. Then I have a big
problem with it.

Maybe it would be only fair to
pass a law like Saudi Arabia and make it
illegal to be a Muslim in America.

edit on 3/7/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yes,

And the US acts of war are indeed terrorism. And defence. And greed? We are not privy to the reason.

But what of that lunatic Saddam?

I am asking for someone to take him out - that would save so many people.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

No one is forcing you to do anything.

Why make up stuff like that? Why do you think that they moved here to transform this country into the one they left? Maybe, just maybe, most of them that left those countries for this one have done so because they like the idea of freedom, of a rule of law that isn't tied to a religion.

Have you talked to many Muslims?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Yes I do know about that, how could I not?

What I was trying (and apparently failing) to do was draw your attention to the "home-grown" aspect of this. You can build walls to keep your enemy out but they avail you nothing if that enemy is already within. And breeding.

And you haven`t had any attacks by home-grown, US Passport-carrying muslim radicals yet, have you?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Saudi is another country that needs freedom - no freedom until their suffocating regime is removed.

Oops that is me gone.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

But what of that lunatic Saddam?

I am asking for someone to take him out - that would save so many people.

Saddam Hussein? He's long long dead already.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Saudi is another country that needs freedom - no freedom until their suffocating regime is removed.

if you think Gadhaffi was bad,
just wait til thousands of protesters
are lined up in the streets in Riyadh.

Hell, the Saudi royals wanted to go into
Bahrain to kill them people who protested
there. What do you think will happen to
Saudi protesters ??? It'll be a blood bath
in the streets to keep the Saudi Royals
in power and they will stop at nothing
to hold on to the kingdom.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
No one is forcing you to do anything.

Why make up stuff like that? Why do you think that they moved here to transform this country into the one they left? Maybe, just maybe, most of them that left those countries for this one have done so because they like the idea of freedom, of a rule of law that isn't tied to a religion.

no one is forcing me to do anything???
bullshirt

u haven't looked at the news or you are sowing
propaganda.

You can't put a Christian Cross up anymore
beside the road where a Christian died in a car
accident without offending them.

You can't place a Christian ad on a billboard
without a law suit discriminating against them.

Christian churches are being forced out
of cities like NY (Ground Zero) so Mosques
can be built.

These are just a few examples.

So YES, they are forcing me and millions more
to change. And it ain't gonna happen.

Islam is infiltrating America, no different
than an invading army.

So don't lecture me sir about what
Muslims is NOT forcing Islam down
my throat.
edit on 3/7/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Ok,

Get in there, America, and remove them.

I know you can.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join