It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows Brits' racial divide.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Id just like to say that there are places in britain that are NO go areas if you are white cos you get the crap beaten out of you so lets not try & make it look like whites are the only race that is racist truth is there are people in all countrys that aint gonna welcome 'outsiders' at least in are country we respect there lifstyles.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
I hate this country. Maybe it is this area, it's bred around here, but I think that there is a hell of alot of racism and division in this country.

Your not the only person who hates this country. Don't want to be labelling people or flaming a group, but i have found out that racism is high in underclass, council house neighbourhoods. In Canterbury, where i live, afew neighbourhoods are a "no go" area for blacks,asians,muslims,etc.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Everlasting England
Id just like to say that there are places in britain that are NO go areas if you are white cos you get the crap beaten out of you so lets not try & make it look like whites are the only race that is racist truth is there are people in all countrys that aint gonna welcome 'outsiders' at least in are country we respect there lifestyles

You're right.. thugs come in all shades, and I'm sure they feed off each other. There are more white racists though simply because there are more white people! Which areas specifically are you referring to as "no go" btw?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Don't want to be labelling people or flaming a group, but i have found out that racism is high in underclass, council house neighbourhoods.

yup.. it's the "someone else's fault" syndrome again.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
...and the fundamental reason for Racism..?

IMO, Education, an abundance of ignorance passed on from parent to child, whatever the shade.

And lets not forget "Institutional Racism", where those of a racist nature can ensure that those of a different shade will stay at a level lacking influence to improve or integrate.

Thats it....they must have poled the North Wales Constabulary.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Koka]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by muppet

Originally posted by infinite
Don't want to be labelling people or flaming a group, but i have found out that racism is high in underclass, council house neighbourhoods.

yup.. it's the "someone else's fault" syndrome again.

"Someone elses fault syndrome?" Blaming the racists for being racist?
Where I live there is almost a 50/50 mix of middle upper class and really expensive houses and council houses and underclass people. Both groups seem to be racist, really racist. I live in an area with NF and BNP graffitti everywhere. My appearance of long hair and striped trousers gets me enough abuse let alone if I had anything but white skin. I think racism in the UK is a disease that is far more widespread than alot would like to think. It's the mentality of alot of people in this seperate little island.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
BNP and NF tend to go to areas where the community is mixed and has alot of racism. It is disgusting that a so called "political party" likes to go to these areas and create racial tension between a community. Makes me sick......

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
I think racism in the UK is a disease that is far more widespread than alot would like to think. It's the mentality of alot of people in this seperate little island.

There's a lot of it about, sure.. But less than most other European countries. Compare to Germany, or France, or Italy for example.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Originally posted by WestPoint23
This doesn't mean that the British are racist I hope but they should come here to the US to see what a really diverse community looks like then they would get a real sense of a melting pot.

The pole shows absolutley nothing, except that 3,400 people from the middle class, still find it hard to break barriers.

You're right Westpoint we should all come to America to see how a real country with no divides and pure racial harmony works. Will my mates from the Middle East be welcome?

People wouldn't bow down to them and kiss their feet but they also wont harass you or treat you differently unless you go down south to some redneck then your friends might want to wear some bulletproof vests

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I dont see how this is a racial divide. How do people become friends?

Through shared beliefs, interests, goals, common visions, ect. Generally, people from different races tend to differ in the above areas.

So, I dont see how this poll is a call for any alarms.

Ive had Asian friends and a few Mexican friends, and a few black friends when i was younger. Young people tend to be pretty much similar in interests and goals. As people get older, stuff changes, you find new friends to match your new system.

No big deal.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I agree Skadi,

The pub is the traditional centre of British social life after all, and for obvious reasons you don't find that many muslims there!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I dont see how this is a racial divide. How do people become friends?

Through shared beliefs, interests, goals, common visions, ect. Generally, people from different races tend to differ in the above areas.

Agreed.

Ive had Asian friends and a few Mexican friends, and a few black friends when i was younger. Young people tend to be pretty much similar in interests and goals. As people get older, stuff changes, you find new friends to match your new system.

Exactly. In my youth, my friends were mostly white (mostly Irish and Polish), but I had three good Mexican friends and one Filipino. They gave me a hard time being the only English-Scottish one, the Irish kids especially. as we got older, we went our separate ways. My Mexican friends ended up getting involved in all the "La Raza" stuff and Chicano movements, so our friendships were pretty much done after that. Now my friends are pretty much like me, white, middle to upper middle class, college educated professionals.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Heres a couple more exmaples.

I enjoy reading. Science fiction, history, stuff like that. When i go to the book store, even though Seattle is pretty multiracial, I only see white people there. I like heavy metal, hard rock, industirial music. Almost any bar you go into that plays that kind of music is full of white people. Occasionally you see latinos and Asians, but not Blacks or middle easterners. Generally, blacks do not like rock or metal. In my whole life, through all the concertes Ive been to, I have seen a total of three blacks at any of the shows.

I also like nature, hiking, fishing, and shooting, something you almost only see whites doing. I also love videogames.

But as you can see, during my off work hours and interests, I hardly come into contact with other races. Plain and simple, my interests are mostly occupied by white people.

But lets say a white person likes to go clubbing. To discoteks and such. You will run into more people of color than you would say going to a biker bar, thus, you will probably have friends of different races more.

It also depends on job. If you work construction or labor type jobs, youll run into more person of color that way. If you work a white collar professional job, youll run into less. profession also attracts friends. generally, a forklift driver in a warehouse is generally not gonna have too much to talk about with say, an office manager.

I live in a neighborhood that is mostly minorities, a few white people. But at home, unless they have similar interests, we seldom mix at all, except at the laundry room. Many of the Mexicans here dont speak English. I speak german. Thus, language barrier is also a problem.

So i dont see it as inherit racism, just a general difference of interest.

And youre right, muppet, how many good devout muslims are you gonna see at a bar? None, if they are abiding by the tenets of thier faith. Just like you wont see true Christians at a whorehouse (plenty of fake ones though) or hanging out in bars. hence, I have no Christian friends either.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The less the divide, the less British the UK becomes.
Who really wants that?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdster
The less the divide, the less British the UK becomes.
Who really wants that?

What do you mean? I don't understand

So your saying that we don't want a mix society in the UK

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

What do you mean? I don't understand

So your saying that we don't want a mix society in the UK

That's for you guys to decide. But I personally don't see why having a racially or culturally diverse society necessarily makes a given place better. Was Britain a horrible place to live in when it was just English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish, separated into their won quarter?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eastern_Diamondback
But I personally don't see why having a racially or culturally diverse society necessarily makes a given place better.

Maybe, maybe not, but taking a nation that is already multi-cultural, and trying to stop it being that way, will ALWAYS make things a thousand times worse. Stalin and Hitler tried that.

The fact is our history is multi-cultural, thanks to the empire, and our future is multi-cultural because that's how the free world works. No man is an island, even if he happens to live on one.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eastern_Diamondback
Was Britain a horrible place to live in when it was just English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish, separated into their won quarter?

It was horrible, before the United Kingdom become united, numerous battles between the English,Scottish,etc.

Now getting back to the topic, i think its good have a mixed society, helps us to understand different cultures,etc.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet

Immigration to Britain should be limited to people of British/Welsh/Irish/Scottish descent.

Huh? you mean limit immigration to the indiginous population? We're already here!

Cmon use your brain. People with ancestry originating from the British Isle who seek to return.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fawlty
Cmon use your brain. People with ancestry originating from the British Isle who seek to return.

Doh.. oh yeah.. stupid me!!

The thing is who are these people? There's Americans, Canadians. The canadians seem pretty happy where they are. (although more than welcome over here too). There's Australians and Kiwi's I suppose, but if you live in London there's a fair chance of waking up with one of these on your sofa on a sunday morning anyway!
(where DO they all come from?
)

Nah. I've gotta say fawlty, that's a dumb idea.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by muppet]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join