It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants to tap US OIL RESERVES

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There should be no doubt in your minds at this point that Obama (or rather his puppet masters) are trying to destroy this country one way or another.

Now, for the first time, Obama wants to open up the US Strategic Oil Reserve since Katrina at a time where the Middle East is literally on fire, and the flow of oil out of the region is in question.

Stop the US from drilling its own resources, making us tragically dependent on OPEC, and then DEPLETE our reserves. What a great time to open the gates when our military will not have enough fuel to defend our homeland.

And, what about the Riots? You know, the unrest that is going to be upon us soon, the National Guard won't have the fuel to put down the civil uprising.

And how convenient that the POTUS has cut off funding to police and fire units all over the country, at a time when LAPD has cut down on the types of 911 calls they will respond to. Perfect chemistry for civil unrest.

Rising gas prices, rising tension between Union and Non-union, Black and White, Legals and Illegals, and christianity and Islam, things are prime for disaster.

Mr. Obama, can you please stop this insanity and not destroy my country any further?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
ahhh where are your links? Because I don't believe Obama wouldn't tapping the oil reserves here since it wouldn't be beneficial to the military industrial complex

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
saw this on Yahoo! News

Seems like Deja-vu from prior to the Economic Crash. America wasn't broken through that debacle. If at first you don't succeed...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Of course I'm only guessing, but I think this link is appropriate. (FORGET IT- BROKEN LINK)
The emphasis seems to be on the idea that President Obama is considering it. What that means for the next week, who knows? He could just be saying this to get Congress off his back for awhile.

www.thedailybeast.com... -may-tap-oil-reserves/why-not/
edit on 6-3-2011 by charles1952 because: Link failure

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Gas Prices Climb Toward $4; Time to Tap Strategic Oil Reserves?
President Obama Says for First Time He Is Considering Opening Reserves to Keep Prices Down

40 comments By DAVID KERLEY
WASHINGTON, March 6, 2011

www.marketwatch.com...

market pulse
March 6, 2011, 12:29 p.m. EST

Obama may tap oil reserves to control prices

www.cnbc.com...

Obama May Tap Oil Reserve To Hold Down Energy Prices
Published: Sunday, 6 Mar 2011 | 11:28 AM ET Text Size By: Reuters

www.reuters.com...

Rockefeller asks Obama to tap U.S. petroleum reserve
WASHINGTON | Thu Mar 3, 2011 4:54pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senator Jay Rockefeller on Thursday became the third Democrat to ask President Barack Obama to consider tapping America's emergency oil supply to cool prices that have risen past $100 a barrel on the strife in Libya.

www.jpost.com...

US considers tapping oil reserves to ease soaring prices
By REUTERS
03/06/2011 17:32

www.rawstory.com...

White House says they may tap strategic oil reserves to ease gas prices

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House Chief of Staff William Daley said on Sunday the Obama administration was considering tapping into the U.S. strategic oil reserve as a way to help ease soaring oil prices.

More like, where *isn't* there a link.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

If I had a hat, I'd tip it to you, thanks. Now, what do you think of the announcement? What is the President thinking? What will happen in the next week? If you weren't so wonderful, I wouldn't ask you the tough questions.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
im gonna stick my head out on the guillotine...

wouldn't we have some sort of alternative energy or alternative to oil by the time we run out of our own oil?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
im gonna stick my head out on the guillotine...

wouldn't we have some sort of alternative energy or alternative to oil by the time we run out of our own oil?

The US oil reserves are purported to be two months worth of the oil we get from Libya. I doubt in two months time we could even start drilling enough oil in the US to dent that, let alone come up with alternatives.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Opening the reserves is the dumbest thing he could do.

There's no immediate shortage of supply and in the long run it would cost the consumer more.

Better for the consumer would be dropping the taxes associated with the stuff.

Of course the gov wouldn't dream of that.

Any gov plan has to put more of our property I to their hands and ultimately do nothing toward affecting the issue at hand so I guess if the gov does anything it will be opening the reserves. Idiots and tyrants.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

oh thanks gal.

yeah that's a bad move unless they're hiding the real amount of oil we have in our reserves.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

It seems like there's a misunderstanding here. Libertygal, I think the reserves you're talking about are the strategic reserves we have stored, but I think vjr1113 is talking about the American oil fields which will indeed last for years.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Well petrol prices hit $1.48/liter here in Australia today..
That's over $6.00/gallon...

And we don't get oil from Libya...
Someones making a killing....
edit on 6-3-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

If I had a hat, I'd tip it to you, thanks. Now, what do you think of the announcement? What is the President thinking? What will happen in the next week? If you weren't so wonderful, I wouldn't ask you the tough questions.

The pleasure is mine! If you note, the date on some of those articles is March 3, so I have been watching for this for a few days. It comes as no surprise, really.

The bad part is, the oil reserves are for the military, and right now, the way the world is behaving, I would not be surprised by something along the lines of another Pearl Harbor type attack.

Realistic? I think so.

Plausible? I think so.

Possible? I think so.

The bad part, to me, lies in two veins.

One, the attacks could well come from within, especially the way we have hollered so long, and so loud about border insecurities, that I have no doubts someone was listening.

The second part is if the attack comes from outside, with no oil, we can't fight back. We would be like ducks in a barrel.

If the attacks came from within, one of the first things I would expect would be an attack on our oil pipelines. People worry over dams and power plants, but I think those types of things would be later, not at the forefront. How many miles of unwatched, unsupervised oil pipelines run through this country? The only state that could conceiveably come out smelling like a rose would be Texas, because they house their own oil and own refineries.

The Saudi's have offered to fill in for the perceived missing oil from Libya, but the rebels insist there is no shortage. The Saudi's have stepped in to pick up the slack, and honestly, I have seen nothing of any real shortages, only speculators driving the market up. In fact, just prior to the Libya uprising, there were news stories that we had a surplus of Winter Blend gasoline on the market, and that gas prices would be dropping in hopes of selling it off faster - before bringing in the Summer Blend at a bit higher price. What's with the contradictions?

With tensions they way they are, not just overseas, but in the US, it is not surprising that our own members of government have been pulled into the fearmongering. Some are perpetuating it, others are buying into it.

Obama doesn't *want* to drive oil prices down. Right now, people are cashing in big, and especially the oil companies, whom he lost a while ago. Until he feels he has made recompense with them, don't expect anything to touch oil prices to happen anytime soon.

As an aside, I think Obama is tyrying very hard to remove all disposable income from the middle class, lower class be damned. He has done what he could to help aide the poor while he continues to target the middle class. This can be seen as evident with his comments about IPod's, cellphones, and electronics.

From healthcare, to car production, to food prices, energy prices, and housing. Anything he has been able to do to soak up disposable income is on his agenda. He defiantly protects unions, however, and makes certain they are at the upper end of "middle class", so they suffer the least. Majoprity middle class is rapidly going to become the new poor.

He resents the middle class spend crazy theme, and anything he can do to absorb that disposable income is welcome to him.

What is going to happen in the next week? I have an inlkling:

Link

America's secret plan to arm Libya's rebels

Obama asks Saudis to airlift weapons into Benghazi

By Robert Fisk, Middle East Correspondent

Monday, 7 March 2011

Once he gets back from golfing, that is. (Not being a smarty - he really went golfing!)

For the rest, we have to wait for the Friday news dump.
Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
PhantomJack your right on target. Let's pray they can't coerce Obama into dumping our national reserves before we Nationalize all gas/oil and energy in the USA.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

It seems like there's a misunderstanding here. Libertygal, I think the reserves you're talking about are the strategic reserves we have stored, but I think vjr1113 is talking about the American oil fields which will indeed last for years.

Ah, if that is the case, we have, according to what I have heard, 50 years of oil at the current rate of consumption.

I also do not believe that oil is a fossil fuel, I think it is a renewable resource, but that's another thread entirely.

If Obama was so concerned, why would he do this?

www.politico.com...

Interior appeals oil drilling ruling

By DAN BERMAN & DARREN GOODE | 3/4/11 10:18 PM EST
The Obama administration has fired another shot in the fight over the speed with which the Interior Department is — or isn’t — letting oil drillers resume work in the Gulf of Mexico after last year’s Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil spill.

The administration late Friday appealed a judge’s orders directing the department to act on several pending Gulf Coast deep-water drilling permits.

(snip)

Earlier in February, the judge held the department in contempt, citing its “dismissive conduct” in blocking offshore drilling during last year’s spill.

The delay in issuing permits since last year’s Gulf oil spill is “increasingly inexcusable,” Feldman wrote.

The Interior Department on Monday announced the approval of the first deep-water drilling permit held up since last year’s spill. The permit, issued to Noble Energy for a well partly owned by BP, was not one of those that Feldman’s ruling addressed.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
A few years back the old guy who holds the patent to pressurize oil wells to get the oil to the surface was a regular at the bar I worked at. We drank together a few times while I was off work and talked about oil. He told me that the prices are B.S. and that we sit on enough oil in N. America to take care of ourselves for a long time. I find it easier to trust a drunk life-long oil man from texas(besides the Bushes) than the gov. and foreigners. If all these countries lost our $ because we have our own oil, they would be pissed and may hurt the world's economy and opinion of us more, if that is possible. Long story medium... We are screwed!
edit on 3/6/1111 by 1MrMarc because: someone needs to go back to grammer school.(me)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
it won't lower prices....and we couldn't do it forever anyway. The middle east will be on fire for a long time.

Bad idea...and believe me I wish prices would go down.

It's all about wall street speculation more than supply and demand. That's why the price fluctuates so much as it is.

Buy up to make money...sell it off...rinse repeat.

For something that was so vital to our economy...you'd think they'd do something about it......

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Dear Libertygal,
I've already taken my hat off once, so you'll just have to accept a symbolic second doffing.

I'm not a supporter of very many conspiracy theories, (Then what are you doing HERE, kid?) but I remember the President's energy secretary saying he thought American Gasoline should be closer to European levels. Perhaps the Administration doesn't want low oil prices. They'd get a lot of benefits that way.
edit on 6-3-2011 by charles1952 because: clarification

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
our prices are already kept lower than they should be because of oil subsidies.....

yes...our prices are high....but many other countries would be jealous as they pay far more..

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
americans will be fine

The current inventory is displayed on the SPR's website. As of August 31, 2009, the current inventory was 724 million barrels (115,100,000 m3).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join