It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtually unknown in the West: Libya's water resources. The real reason for toppling Quadaffi?

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
virtually-unknown-in-west-libyas-water

We still wonder how on earth did Qaddafi manage to stay in power for forty years? Did no one notice his madness until now? Did no one notice that he built a HUGE FRESH WATER PIPELINE to the Benghazi region, that lunatic? Were they waiting for him to finish?

The 1st of September[2010] marks the anniversary of the opening of the major stage of Libya's Great Man-Made River Project. This incredibly huge and successful water scheme is virtually unknown in the West, yet it rivals and even surpasses all our greatest development projects. The leader of the so-called advanced countries, the United States of America cannot bring itself to acknowledge Libya's Great Man-Made River. The West refuses to recognize that a small country, with a population no more than four million, can construct anything so large without borrowing a single cent from the international banks.

...In the 1960s during oil exploration deep in the southern Libyan desert, vast reservoirs of high quality water were discovered in the form of aquifers. ...

...In Libya there are four major underground basins, these being the Kufra basin, the Sirt basin, the Morzuk basin and the Hamada basin, the first three of which contain combined reserves of 35,000 cubic kilometres of water. These vast reserves offer almost unlimited amounts of water for the Libyan people.

aparently Qaddafi has been directing a major engineering feat which has not only been unmentioned during the recent "rebellion" in Libya but has been actively poo-pooed and pissed on by TCOTBIP and their minions in the public eye

Under the giant scheme, water is pumped from aquifers under the Sahara in the southern part of the country, where underground water resources extend into Egypt and Sudan. Then the water is transported by reinforced concrete pipeline to northern destinations. Construction on the first phase started in 1984, and cost about $5 billion. The completed project may total $25 billion. South Korean construction experts built the huge pipes in Libya by some of the most modern techniques. The engineering feat involves collecting water from 270 wells in east central Libya, and transporting it through about 2,000 kilometers of pipeline to Benghazi and Sirte. The new ``river'' brings 2 million cubic meters of water a day. At completion, the system will involve 4,000 kilometers of pipepines, and two aqueducts of some 1,000 kilometers.
Joining in celebrating the inauguration of the artificial river were dozens of Arab and African heads of state and hundreds of other foreign diplomats and delegations. Among them were Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, King Hassan of Morocco, the head of Sudan, Gen. Omar El Beshir, and Djibouti's President Hassan Julied. Col. Muammar Qaddafi told the celebrants:

``After this achievement, American threats against Libya will double.... The United States will make excuses, [but] the real reason is to stop this achievement, to keep the people of Libya oppressed.'' Qaddafi presented the project to the cheering crowd as a gift to the Third World.

Mubarak spoke at the ceremony and stressed the regional importance of the project. Qaddafi has called on Egyptian farmers to come and work in Libya, where there are only 4 million inhabitants. Egypt's population of 55 million is crowded in narrow bands along the Nile River and delta region.

Over the last 20 years, the water improvement projects envisioned for Egypt, which could provide more water and more hectares of agricultural and residential land, have been repeatedly sabotaged by the International Monetary Fund and World Bank, and the Anglo-American financial interests behind them.

and TCOTBIP just can't have any kind of self sufficiency or climbing out the 3rd world,

"can't have those durn libyans using that water up, cause it belongs to us, and we'll need it once we've contaminated all of ours"

it should be pointed out that the Libyans did all this without getting in debt with no loans from Worldbank or IMF

But Libyan officials plan for 80% of the overall project's flow to eventually be used for irrigating old farms, and reclaiming some desert lands. Since 20% of Libya's imports are foodstuffs, expanded water supplies are a means to greater self-sufficiency. The Great Man-Made River project and its objectives fly in the face of the water-control schemes sanctioned by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. These institutions have blocked work on other ``great projects'' such as the Jonglei Canal--the huge ditch that was designed as a straight channel on the upper White Nile in southern Sudan. The Jonglei Canal, which stands half-finished and abandoned at present, would have drained swamplands, aided agriculture, transportation, power resources, and health, and provided expanded flow to the Nile River all the way down to Egypt. The World Bank and the U.S. State Department are backing a ``Middle East Water Summit'' in Turkey this November, which is intended to promote only politically favored projects such as desalination plants in Saudi Arabia, and water shortages elsewhere. London and Washington circles were apoplectic about the opening of the new Libyan water project. The London Financial Times ran criticisms of the project from Angus Henley of the London-based Middle East Economic Digest. The pipeline, he said, was ``Qaddafi's pet project. He wants to be seen as something other than the scourge of the West.'' The Financial Times called the project Qaddafi's ``pipedream,'' stating that critics may be awed by the engineering involved, ``But they regard the dream as a monument to vanity that makes little economic sense in a country where the U.N. Development Program says 94.6% of territory is desert wasteland.''

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
this is unbelievable, thank you op.

but what i dont understand is this, why doesn't gahdafi tell his people about this system, or remind them of it? why doesnt he say thats why they want to destroy me, because i have built an efficient river system that will make libya self sufficient and able to grow its own crops as well as supply her neighbours? surely this will get the people off his back. surely he will gain more support world wide!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
TCOTBIP?

Anyhoo, what tripe. Anyone mildly interested in this field or civil engineering knows about this and the MSN have done stories on it in the past. In fact, I read an in depth report on the BBC a few years ago about this...

I'll see if I can dig it up..

Seems the article was written by someone with an axe to grind and not much else.

EDIT: Here we go:

UNECA Report

Wikipedia

BBC

NASA

BBC..again

BBC...again...

UNSECO

edit on 6/3/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

thanks for the reply

i think most folks in Libya know about this and Qaddafi surely hasn't lost any opportunities to toot his horn.

any statements to the media, in the present, will of course be deleted.

my point in posting it in the deconstructing disinfo, is that this tremendous engineering/hydrological project and knowledge of it is being suppressed.

did you know that back in the 80's both Brazil and Iraq began to set up their own space programs?
Brazil accepted an offer they couldn't refuse, while Sadaam didn't, the final nail in his coffin was his attempts to sell oil for euros.

again thanks for the reply and not just hitting and running

not that i don't appreciate the S&F's

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

are you saying that what is of common knowledge to engineers and such is common knowledge to all then ? "oh, everybody knows about that, dear fellow , no need to get into a kerfuffle over it."

London and Washington circles were apoplectic about the opening of the new Libyan water project. The London Financial Times ran criticisms of the project from Angus Henley of the London-based Middle East Economic Digest. The pipeline, he said, was ``Qaddafi's pet project. He wants to be seen as something other than the scourge of the West.'' The Financial Times called the project Qaddafi's ``pipedream,'' stating that critics may be awed by the engineering involved, ``But they regard the dream as a monument to vanity that makes little economic sense in a country where the U.N. Development Program says 94.6% of territory is desert wasteland.''

sounds like sour grapes to me.

you claim to be an enemy of labour? that makes you a tory then?

i prefer not to refer to the Psychophathic/Bizzarro subset of humanity as the elite or the powers that be, so i call them TCOTBIP=The Custodians Of The Black Iron Prison.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
are you saying that what is of common knowledge to engineers and such is common knowledge to all then ? "oh, everybody knows about that, dear fellow , no need to get into a kerfuffle over it."

Well, I showed it wasn't the preserve of engineers, but actually quite well covered in the MSM for those that care to look, which was contrary to what your linked article said.

sounds like sour grapes to me.

Possibly. It is a en engineering feat to envy, I have to admit.

you claim to be an enemy of labour? that makes you a tory then?

Nope, paid up member of the English Democrats. But I do agree with much of what the Tories are doing at the moment.

i prefer not to refer to the Psychophathic/Bizzarro subset of humanity as the elite or the powers that be, so i call them TCOTBIP=The Custodians Of The Black Iron Prison.

Ingenious....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I knew about it. Amazing thing that.

A fresh water underground sea. But it won't last forever.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

nothing does. if done right perhaps they can get a working ecological cycle going as most the effort seems directed to land reclamation and agriculture.

Very Interesting post has just shown up in new topics firehose:

Obama asks Saudis to airlift weapons into Benghazi

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Also worth reading: America's War on Libya.

And this one, from August 23, 2010:

Libya's Qaddafi taps 'fossil water' to irrigate desert farms

While many countries in the Middle East and North Africa bicker over water rights, Libya has tapped into an aquifer of 'fossil water' to change its topography – turning sand into soil. The 26-year, $20 billion project is nearly finished.

…The Great Man-Made River, which is leader Muammar Qaddafi's ambitious answer to the country’s water problems, irrigates Libya’s large desert farms. The 2,333-mile network of pipes ferry water from four major underground aquifers in southern Libya to the northern population centers. Wells punctuate the water’s path, allowing farmers to utilize the water network in their fields.

... “Water is more precious for us than oil. ... Water here in Libya, it’s life.”

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I always thought the movie "Quantum of Solice" 007 had an awful lot of truth to it.
Just like in Dune- "he who controls the Spice of life (water), controls the universe".
I did realize it is not about controlling Oil but water
You can find other alternative methods for oil but not water and this is what they are after.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

hi there sofi and thanks for the links which i also recommend reading

interesting how these "rebels" are in force at Benghazi of all places they certainly aren't gonna run out of water.
could the goal be to wreck the waterworks?

Exclusive: Benghazi Explosion – Tactical Nuke Use By Gaddafi Suspected

wow the propaganda BS level has gone OFF the charts.

by the way, further investigation shows that it's conventional bombing of arms depots though i still question as to who is bombing, it seems everything bad happening in Libya is Qadaffi's fault.

RAJMA, Libya (Reuters) - Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi bombed an arms depot on the outskirts of Libya's second city of Benghazi [...] It was one of biggest weapons dumps in Benghazi region. The resident said, who works at a power station nearby, said windows were broken by the explosion several km (miles) away. "The fire is still raging and we fear more explosions," Miftah said.

this is not good.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Good job on the posting. There is definitely a concern on the world's available fresh water as we go forward in time.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

At the rate displayed on the below website, it will last for 50,000 years? What will happen with this is that it will release the fresh water into the atmosphere through evaporation while using the water for farming. This could also be a good thing.

LINK

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
TCOTBIP?
Anyhoo, what tripe. Anyone mildly interested in this field or civil engineering knows about this and the MSN have done stories on it in the past. In fact, I read an in depth report on the BBC a few years ago about this...
I'll see if I can dig it up..
Seems the article was written by someone with an axe to grind and not much else.
EDIT: Here we go:
UNECA Report
Wikipedia
BBC
NASA
BBC..again
BBC...again...
UNSECO

edit on 6/3/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

So many agencies involved...

International development projectsSince 2006, the International Atomic Energy Agency has been working in cooperation with the four NSAS countries to help increase understanding of the aquifer's complexities through the IAEA-UNDP-GEF Nubian Project. Project partners include the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)/Global Environment Facility (GEF), IAEA, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and government representatives from the NSAS countries. The project's long-term goal is establishing rational and equitable management of the NSAS as a productive way of advancing socio-economic development in the region and protecting biodiversity and land resources.[5]

LINK

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Yeah this post makes no sense, water hahahahaha

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by laslidealist

I think the idea for the quantum of solace movie was taken from the Bolivian water wars. Played out the same way, except when the people protested and took control of the country the corporation tried to sue the country for loss assets.

This thread made me think of this video. It was posted on this site somewhere.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American
Yeah this post makes no sense, water hahahahaha

Not really. Think about the Farming industry, the price of the crops, the inflated price of food in general and the urge to control the food supply and bread baskets of the world? If the water project is successful (which it is so far) after the massive undertaking by Libya since the 80's, the most dry place on earth will start growing enough to sustain their own economy and possibly increase the output for trading with their neighbors. Think about it, all the oil and food will make them independent of other countries dependencies. In addition, the neighbors can tap into the aquifers which house enough water for approximately 50,000 years if Libya is the only one tapping into it. This is pretty big in today's economy if a country can be self sufficient in producing cash crops and be able to sustain its food and agricultural industries.

Below is another thread on ATS which goes into detail about the Food Shortage in the world.
HUNGER & FOOD SHORTAGE
edit on 8-3-2011 by hp1229 because: typos

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Bump.

I am so disgusted with *** for starting another war.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Gaddafis dead now.

top topics

join