It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Hypocrisy Callout: Where Are You Hillary?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This piece was brought to light by Karl Denninger over at The Market Ticker. He states:

Remember how Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama said that people had a right to peaceful protest in Egypt and other nations? How Libya's government had "lost legitimacy" by banning protests, shooting and locking up those who dared to speak?

Let's see how long it is before they say the same thing here:

DAMMAM, Saudi Arabia (Dow Jones) --Top oil exporter Saudi Arabia has banned all protests, marches and strikes in the kingdom after small protests continued over the weekend in the oil-rich Eastern province towns of al-Ahsa and Qatif, interior ministry said Saturday, according to state-owned channel al Ekhbariyah.

These activities don't conform with the Islamic laws and harm the interests of the nation and the society, the Saudi channel quoted the ministry as saying.

Any attempt to cause public disorder will be prevented by security forces, it said.

Remember, this is what Hillary said as official US Government Policy:

Together, the freedoms of expression, assembly, and association online comprise what I’ve called the freedom to connect. The United States supports this freedom for people everywhere, and we have called on other nations to do the same. Because we want people to have the chance to exercise this freedom. We also support expanding the number of people who have access to the internet. And because the internet must work evenly and reliably for it to have value, we support the multi-stakeholder system that governs the internet today, which has consistently kept it up and running through all manner of interruptions across networks, borders, and regions.

Some take the view that, to encourage tolerance, some hateful ideas must be silenced by governments. We believe that efforts to curb the content of speech rarely succeed and often become an excuse to violate freedom of expression. Instead, as it has historically been proven time and time again, the better answer to offensive speech is more speech. People can and should speak out against intolerance and hatred. By exposing ideas to debate, those with merit tend to be strengthened, while weak and false ideas tend to fade away; perhaps not instantly, but eventually.

The situation in Saudi Arabia is every oil consuming nations nightmare. There is a very clear indication that the spreading revolution has this nation squarely in its sights. It will be very interesting, but hardly surprising, to see what stance the current US administration takes should all hell break loose in Saudi Arabia. Regardless of your thoughts about Denninger he has made an excellent point here. If its acceptable for the US to encourage freedom for the likes of Egypt and Tunisia, then surely the oppressive and gutless leadership of Saudi Arabia is fair game as well ?

src

brill

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The reason why Hillary did not support the protest is because if there is one then we'll be paying $20 dollar for 1 gallon
edit on 6-3-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

We may just need that rise in fuel costs to get these morons in congress to start getting serious about switching to a new form of energy. It's been well over due and incompetent planning on their part. When their backs are against the wall, maybe than we'll get to see some of these new forms of energy that have been locked away from us to protect the oil companies.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
For the sake of my record; anyone direct me to a video where Hillary Clinton makes the statments referred to by the OP. Much olbiged.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bussoboy
For the sake of my record; anyone direct me to a video where Hillary Clinton makes the statments referred to by the OP. Much olbiged.

This is directly from the US Dept of State, given at George Washington University, February 15, 2011:

video source

Comments come about at the 8:38 mark.

brill

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
The reason why Hillary did not support the protest is because if there is one then we'll be paying $20 dollar for 1 gallon
edit on 6-3-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

That's overstating the obvious. I don't doubt for one minute the timing coincides with the recent announcement by Obama on tapping into the Strategic Petroleum Reserves (SPR). From my understanding that's precisely what those reserves are there for. However, consider this for the SPR:

This equates to 34 days of oil at current daily US consumption levels of 21 million barrels a day.

Obviously those reserves are not being completely released in fact there is only small talk at this time. If Saudi Arabia explodes this could be the death knell for whats left of the US economy. This administration is in a precarious situation and for them to denounce the freedom and rights of Saudi citizens, should they revolt, exposes them for what they, hypocrites and liars to the extreme.

src

brill

top topics

join