It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica And The Discovery Of A 2,000-Year-Old Map

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
in Hapgood's maps of the ancient sea kings, on p. 193(my copy) the antikythera mechanism is discussed. on following pages, there is noted ancient, highly accurate determinations of longitude over a huge area of the old world. i don't know how longitude could be determined from the relative positions of the stars, sun, earth, moon,and planets. (anyone on ATS can help here?) if this could be done, the antikythera mech. has been described as an analog computer for processing the relative positional data of the heavenly bodies. otherwise, if one could produce the antikythera mech., just how hard would it be to produce a highly accurate chronometer? no need for aircraft above antarctica. as to the multi-million year age of the antarctic ice sheets, the augur who came up with that number could perhaps have taken one look at the sheep guts and told Caesar that Gaul could be had. from velikovsky's corner, if mars or venus, large magnets, came within 30,000 mi.of earth(large magnet) [ive heard of "roche limit"] , besides earth being gifted with, say, the Rocky Mountains, earth's axis could be tilted. now, the highly excitable scientific augurs ( and all scientists are not such) said that velikovsky's citing of Josua's Long Day was an absurd violation of physical law: the earth's rotation could not be stopped! true. but if the earth's crust were to slip, to some observers ,the sun's movement could be dramaticly affected. it seems the jews recorded many of the events that scared the bejesus out of them. to witness such events and survive might make one feel chosen. if earth's crust were to shift, little doubt that much heat would have been generated and water vapor produced.
edit on 8-3-2011 by boxturtle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
at this time, humongeus quantities of snow would likely have fallen on the new poles. as an aside, people who lived at further distances from the CRUST'S rotational axis than the middle east and ,say, central america, may have been wiped out. i'm not suggesting any specific time for this event, and although i think the old testament presents many accounts of events with some factual basis, as a history, i think it has been shaken and stirred.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
S&F

Simply dazzling, excellent research OP.

Refreshing to see not just compilations of others work, but original research as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doug Fisher
Later iterations of the design like Hadji Ahmed's were unaware of the correlation between Western Antarctica and these two islands and consequently the islands began to look less and less like Antarctica's Carney and Siple and more like the actual Unfortunate Islands discovered during Magellan's voyage:

-Doug

Ah, thanks, it was my misunderstanding. I thought the Unfortunate Islands were the same as Carney and Siple. I guess I'll have to read this again. (though I already had planned on it
)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Great thread mate, well done.

As an aside, has anyone noticed how very similar the images are on the Ebstorf Mappa Mundi (the one with a representation of Christ on it) to the images on the mysterious medieval Voynich manuscript?

I realise they are roughly from the same period, but the similarity between the illustrations on the two documents are uncanny.

Perhaps they have the same author.

Gervase of Ebstorf is supposed to be the author of the map (or Gervase of Tilbury), maybe he was the author of the Voynich manuscript too..

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Doug Fisher

I did a quick read and may have missed this but, did you have the map professionally examined and dated? For all we know it could be a fraud. I would suggest giving it to a linguist if any language is upon it, then a cartographer, then someone who specializes in examining inks. The paper itself should be examined to see if it's the type used during that period as there was no real uniform method of production so each paper can be narrowed down.

There are some more absolute methods of aging an organic object like paper as well, i suggest you look into them because if your object is accurately aged at 2,000 years old then it could utterly change history, this wouldn't be a small change it would be incredible.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A buddy of mine mentioned years ago there was a mountain region that was slamed inland or the land slamed into the mountain region I not entirly sure where this took place getting old to recall the details, The point was there were not from there that region, remaining a mystery where they came from or how they came into formation where they were. some were thinking ice age etc... might be possible sliding of crusts?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Hello ImaginaryReality,

The two main globes discussed in this thread are Schöner's globes dated at A.D. 1515 and 1524.

Agrippa’s Orbis Terrarum dates back to A.D. 20, but there were many, many copies of this map created and distributed throughout Europe. Schöner used a COPY of this 2,000-year-old Roman map for his 1515 design of the southern continent, not an actual 2,000-year-old map.

-Doug

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CIGGSofWAR

Hello Ciggs,

I don’t believe this was what you were necessarily referring to, but when scientists discovered Antarctica’s Gamburtsev range, some believed that the Antarctic ice sheet may be much younger than the 34-million years currently maintained.

"If the ice sheet grew slowly then we would expect to see the mountains eroded into a plateau shape. But the evidence now suggests it formed quickly. - Geophysicist Dr Fausto Ferraccioli of British Antarctic Survey

POSSIBLE NEWS ITEM:

Or just confusion.

So I checked up on the Gamburtsev range and found this little stunner from just a few days ago:

Antarctica Ice Sheet Only 1.4 Million Years Old, Not 34 Million

"Antarctica's ice sheet formed about 32-million years ago but [Tom Jordan of BAS] said that experts now believed the oldest ice was only 1.4-million years old."
LINK

Anyone know anything about this claim? Is it possible that BAS means that the ice in that particular area dates back only 1.4 million years because much of the ice there is thawed and refrozen-ice?

The findings, published in the journal Science, confound a traditional view that ice sheets are almost solely formed by snow that lands on top, gets compressed into ice and flows slowly towards the oceans because of gravity.

'We usually think of ice sheets like cakes - one layer at a time added from the top. This is like someone injected a layer of frosting at the bottom - a really thick layer,' Robin Bell, lead author at Columbia University in New York, said.

The scientists said that about 24 per cent of the ice in an area around Dome A, a 13,800ft high plateau the size of California that forms the top of East Antarctica, was formed by re-frozen ice.

'In some places up to half the ice thickness has been added from below,' they wrote of ice above the invisible Gamburtsev Mountain range.

Jordan's statement, or misstatement, is clearly made in general reference to the entire ice sheet. Unless it was quoted out of context. Journalists don't do that. Do they?

The age of the Antarctic ice sheet has dropped by millions in the past, but this would be a phenomenal drop percentage wise. Are we just one find away from the ice sheets being dated in thousands of years?

-Doug

edit on 3-8-2011 by Doug Fisher because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2011 by Doug Fisher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
tldr

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Are we just one find away from the ice sheets being dated in thousands of years?

I wouldn't be surprised.

S&

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Of course you can make accurate maps without satelites. Just pick up any atlas published before 1960 and you'll see. There are tools for making maps based on ground observations.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The old map of antartica only fits into the picture that the whole history we are being thought, from the evolution of civilisation and stuff, is a lie. There have been many civilisations, and also world civilisations spanning the globe, befor ours. But there seems to be a major catastrophy breaking it all apart in more or less regular intervals. Thats why we cant remember anything from befor "our time", everything had been destroyed, and only some rare artifacts like the pyramids and the sphinxs survived. Its all realy simple actually....

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
An amazing amount of work and thorough research! Thank you!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Wow! They must have had to kill quite a few polar bears to get the blankets and clothes to keep them warm!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Outstanding!

I don't even care about the map, I'm just so impressed with the work that went into this thread.

Thanks op, it was awesome!

S&F

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Star and flagged. Bookmarked. Sent to a friend

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Wow... this is incredible, what a post

S&F

All i can say is great great post and i pray that you have more threads coming in the future

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I strongly believe Atlantis is the united states, your skills in this domain is absolute great job my friend.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Well it's taken me a while to get around to read your thread, what can I say but excellent work, that you so much for your efforts and sharing it here

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join