It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Michael Moore: America IS NOT Broke, Madison Speech

page: 2
22
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Moore is a slick manipulator of the truth. And a person of very low character.
America is broke. Our Govt runs on borrowed debt and pays only interest.
By all means, keep banging the drum of blame the wealthy.
Moore is, was and will for ever be wrong.




posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'd make a minor correction - Most of America is broke but a small percent of America is far from broke. That part that is broke does include many local and state governments - along with millions of ordinary folks.

The thing about getting money back from the uber rich has a few points. One, there is indeed the possibility that they actually earned it. Two, its pretty much a given than laws apply differently to the rich - so even if an attempt to take it was made they might still hold on to it. Third - given that they have a ton of resources they could always just leave the country and renounce their citizen-ship. I think that is kind of a proven method used by some old British rockers from time to time.



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs
 


Spare me the whole "1% control the wealth" argument.
The guy I work with became debt free 3 years ago, now is only working to do things like vacations and such.
I am on course and in 4 years will be set.
Wealth is a mind set along with poor. Broke is physical in nature.
This is a matter of personal choices. Does not matter if its 15 years ago, today or tomorrow.



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Frogs
 


Spare me the whole "1% control the wealth" argument.
The guy I work with became debt free 3 years ago, now is only working to do things like vacations and such.
I am on course and in 4 years will be set.
Wealth is a mind set along with poor. Broke is physical in nature.
This is a matter of personal choices. Does not matter if its 15 years ago, today or tomorrow.


I think your sort of missing the point, which is, SOME people in control of America screwed you over and it's time to get rid of them and the means in which they did it. To stand up for the regular Joe. Isn't that a Tea Party credo???

And yes 1% do control the wealth, the banks, and the laws. Good for you striving to be debt free. I managed to do that 10 yrs ago. Life is much easier and enjoyable. Yes you are correct, it a matter of choices and the people that got America in this position obviously didn't make the correct ones either through stupidity or greed. Again that is his point and you seem to agree.



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Maybe we should perform some surgery on Mr. Moore's gut to find that missing money.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite
 


Thank you for such an enlightened and thought provoking response.



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connector
reply to post by jonnywhite
 


Thank you for such an enlightened and thought provoking response.

Will Mr. Moore guarantee 8 hour jobs, 5 days a week instead of the BS seasonal work that's 8-13 hours a day often 7 days a week with hundreds/thousands of people still on the unemployment list?

He'll have to dig deep in his gut to make it work out. I look forward to stealing from him.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Moore is right, we aren’t broke in the macro sense, we have never been broke as long as there is no shortage of food, shelter, and natural resources. The last time I looked there was no such shortage.

What is broke, though, is a system of government and society where the pact of all the people to equally contribute and share in its macro resources, is broken . . . broken by those who have had privileges—the rich and super-rich—who have used their edge to loot and plunder and deprive the vulnerable in the society to what is rightfully theirs.

Just look at the fact that now 25 percent of children in America are at the poverty level. That is indicative of what Moore expresses regarding the looting of the national wealth by the rich and their greedy and predatory control of the politicians.

Bottom line, the rich and politicians have broken the trust they have been afforded by the society and have chosen to go for themselves at the expense of the general good.

At this point there is no other choice for the masses but:
REVOLUTION!



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
If Micheal Moore is on your side, than that would be a good indication, that you are on the wrong side.
this is straight out of the liberal playbook, to blame the wealthy. Is it not the wealthy who float the bill for public sector employee's? Public Sector unions do not create anything, they create no wealth. It is the public sector that depends on the wealthy. We have all had to tighten our belts these past few years, and yet those who have had it the best, cry the loudest. Micheal Moore should no better then anyone, what Union's and Democratic control can do, to a economy. Like a biblical plague of locust, they have laid waste, to his home State...
Amen. Penalizing the rich for being hard working and disciplined is unfair. Furthermore, many people are going to lack money in retirement because they did not save money when they COULD have. Instead they spent it on vacations and TV's and extra cars and rental homes. But NO ONE forced them to! Then when all of them enter retirement there'll be a push to steal money from the rich to compensate. So these people who have consistently made the wrong choices in life expect the people who have made hte right choices to bail them out. That's what's happening here with Mr. Moore. He expects the rich to bail out the people who have consistently made the wrong choices.

My position is if he feels this way fine... but he should be the first one to give his money away.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite
 


Not save money! Where have you been the last few years?

Your post is absurd.

Do you know how many people who trusted this system and contributed their money to 401 k plans that have been destroyed by the 2008 Wall Street Scam?

Americans trusted the system and have been robbed and you talk about some nonsense about saving.

PEOPLE DON’T MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO SAVE THAT’S WHY THEY HAD TO GO TO 401 K PLANS.

Remember it was the unions, who before the 401k craze, had good decent retirement plans that people like you helped to abolish that made it necessary for those 401 k plans that were destroyed by Wall Street.
AND NOW YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO BLAME THEM!

YOUR LOGIC IS LACKING.

edit on 6-3-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Moore is right, we aren’t broke in the macro sense, we have never been broke as long as there is no shortage of food, shelter, and natural resources. The last time I looked there was no such shortage.

What is broke, though, is a system of government and society where the pact of all the people to equally contribute and share in its macro resources, is broken . . . broken by those who have had privileges—the rich and super-rich—who have used their edge to loot and plunder and deprive the vulnerable in the society to what is rightfully theirs.

Just look at the fact that now 25 percent of children in America are at the poverty level. That is indicative of what Moore expresses regarding the looting of the national wealth by the rich and their greedy and predatory control of the politicians.

Bottom line, the rich and politicians have broken the trust they have been afforded by the society and have chosen to go for themselves at the expense of the general good.

At this point there is no other choice for the masses but:
REVOLUTION!
Wrong. It's broken because government doesn't know how to restrict itself and spends and spends on the latest fads and BS legislation. People at the bottom of the economy are ALREADY given boosts to help them achieve. Everything from grants and food stamps and so on, the list goes on and on. I kid you not! If these people are going to get out of the ditch throwing more money at them won't help because they're already wasting what's being thrown at them now! Our educational system is partly to blame, however. But since they're an arm of the government I'm not surprised at all that they've engaged in wasteful ineffective activities. It seems all government is infected by it.

Honestly, people who attack the rich for our current economic recession are just attacking the easiest target. They're indulging. But they're clueless as to how all of this happened and where to go from here. My hope is economists lead the resurgence and not a bunch of liberal crazies.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Why does the rice, uberp.-rich gets blamed for all the problems. Not all of them made their billions by stealing or cheating...



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by jonnywhite
 

Not save money! Where have you been the last few years?
.............
Why so many capitals?

Calm down man if you're having a stroke there's the phone.

What were you saying? Something about 401k? People not having enough money or something? I don't know exactly what you're tyring to say, but if you're saying that the people are being held down and can't afford retirement, then I regress. If you can't admit that people have made bad choices, then what can I do? Saving for retirement is not rocket science.

Here is just one link in a billlion you can find by googling:
www.accountingtoday.com...

And the rich will end up paying for it. How much you wanna bet?
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Amen. Penalizing the rich for being hard working and disciplined is unfair. Furthermore, many people are going to lack money in retirement because they did not save money when they COULD have. Instead they spent it on vacations and TV's and extra cars and rental homes. But NO ONE forced them to! Then when all of them enter retirement there'll be a push to steal money from the rich to compensate. So these people who have consistently made the wrong choices in life expect the people who have made hte right choices to bail them out. That's what's happening here with Mr. Moore. He expects the rich to bail out the people who have consistently made the wrong choices.

My position is if he feels this way fine... but he should be the first one to give his money away.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)


Actually what he is saying is; SOME of the uber rich which are in control, screwed you over and should be penalized. He's not knocking anyone who worked hard to earn their money. Also, what do you think should happen to those who stole the retirement of those people? I know many that did everything correctly according to the capitalist ideal and their retirement disappeared over night thanks to these charlatans who walked away scott free and considerably wealthier.

Again, he isn't attacking the rich, he's attacking those that screwed YOU over and the lost of trust in the system. The bullies and thieves......



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite
 


People have saved for retirement. They were told that 401k plans were good, and look what happened to them. Don't you know anything about what’s been going on? How many trillions have been lost by people who trusted the system?

You're the one without any facts, just statements out of context and with no meaning



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Fist of all, the canards “don’t blame the rich for the ills of the economy” or “stop blaming the rich” is not the point. Certainly it is not ALL the rich who have screwed up everything and poisons and rigs the system to their own benefit, BUT A CERTAIN GROUP of them have done it.

Certainly the middle class and poor don’t have the power to do anything like that; therefore the people who blame middle class unions for the economic debacle are just stupid.

Indeed, it is a cabal of the rich who has proven to be out for themselves to the detriment to the whole.

In any society, for it to be fair and develop positively for the whole and not just the few, there is a pact of allegiance that we all agree to if we are citizens of the society, and that pact is that we must contribute to the good of the society or at least not undermine it by economic or political illegalities and shenanigans that ONLY benefit ones own group or oneself.

That pact has been broken by a cabal amongst the rich and super-rich.

This cabal can be identified as certain GLOBALIST who has chosen to manipulate the system to benefit their agenda and also rig the system to siphon capital from the people. This can be proven by the conservative attempt [George Bush in 2005] to privatize social security and have Wall Street control all that money.

Imagine what would have happened had we given them control over the social security funds before the 2008 crash!



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connector

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Amen. Penalizing the rich for being hard working and disciplined is unfair. Furthermore, many people are going to lack money in retirement because they did not save money when they COULD have. Instead they spent it on vacations and TV's and extra cars and rental homes. But NO ONE forced them to! Then when all of them enter retirement there'll be a push to steal money from the rich to compensate. So these people who have consistently made the wrong choices in life expect the people who have made hte right choices to bail them out. That's what's happening here with Mr. Moore. He expects the rich to bail out the people who have consistently made the wrong choices.

My position is if he feels this way fine... but he should be the first one to give his money away.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)


Actually what he is saying is; SOME of the uber rich which are in control, screwed you over and should be penalized. He's not knocking anyone who worked hard to earn their money. Also, what do you think should happen to those who stole the retirement of those people? I know many that did everything correctly according to the capitalist ideal and their retirement disappeared over night thanks to these charlatans who walked away scott free and considerably wealthier.

Again, he isn't attacking the rich, he's attacking those that screwed YOU over and the lost of trust in the system. The bullies and thieves......


So you know that SOME rich people are abusing others and that SOME people did everything right yet still won't afford retirement? So looks to me like you found some good and bad apples. I still don't think that means we should steal money from the rich. I don't think there's any sound argument in existence that can be used to rip money away from them in some kind of martyr action. There's no sound and easy way to rip money away from ANYONE, rich or poor. Try it.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite
 


It's not about "stealing" from the rich, it's about getting rid of those bad apples as you put it, fixing the system and restoring public trust. The current system allowed the thieves to steal and control the vast majority of wealth that rightfully belongs to those that worked hard and contributed to society.

Just remove the right/ left blinders and your soon see we all actually are arguing for the same thing......honesty and fairness.



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connector
reply to post by jonnywhite
 


It's not about "stealing" from the rich, it's about getting rid of those bad apples as you put it, fixing the system and restoring public trust. The current system allowed the thieves to steal and control the vast majority of wealth that rightfully belongs to those that worked hard and contributed to society.

Just remove the right/ left blinders and your soon see we all actually are arguing for the same thing......honesty and fairness.

I"m all for overhauling the financial system. I'm just against any kind of taxation that targets the rich. I think that if you're going to tax someone then tax everyone. Be honest about it.



posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite
 


Now where in the speech in the OP did he talk about taxing the rich. That's a debate for another day


It seems we agree mostly
. That's what I don't understand.....those caught in the left/ right paradigm are usual arguing for the same thing and don't even realize it. Thank the ones we speak of for that......divide and conquer.



new topics

top topics



 
22
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join